The Student Room Group

I want to leave Islam but..

I'm sick and tired of how intolerant this religion is,
Even though im not gay myself, I don't see the problem with it- my whole family is homophobic and it sickens me,
And traditional gender roles are a load of rubbish- why do females have to listen to everything males say? Why can't females travel alone? Why is it when boys are born- the amount distributed is larger than when girls are born? I know lots of you will say it's culture not religion- but this is all in the religious texts and holy books ..
The problem is I do not have the guts to leave, my parents will disown me, most likely my friends will too and I'll be the talk of the town
So yeah I'll be stuck with this crap for the rest of my life

Scroll to see replies

try and explain to your parents why you want to leave Islam. i am sure they will listen if you talk to them properly. by the way, are you planning on becoming atheist or converting to another religion?
Good luck!:smile:

Original post by Anonymous
Even though im not gay myself, I don't see the problem with it- my whole family is homophobic and it sickens me,
And traditional gender roles are a load of rubbish- why do females have to listen to everything males say? Why can't females travel alone? Why is it when boys are born- the amount distributed is larger than when girls are born? I know lots of you will say it's culture not religion- but this is all in the religious texts and holy books ..
The problem is I do not have the guts to leave, my parents will disown me, most likely my friends will too and I'll be the talk of the town
hi i am muslim too. i also think it is wrong to be homophobic - there is nothing wrong with being gay! (I am straight myself)
Reply 3
Original post by sunshine774
try and explain to your parents why you want to leave Islam. i am sure they will listen if you talk to them properly. by the way, are you planning on becoming atheist or converting to another religion?
Good luck!:smile:

Oh no trust me they wouldn't understand, I'm not going to even bother, they'll lose their minds lol.. They'll probably think I'm possessed by the devil or something
Reply 4
I hate it when people quote the whole original post in their answer. What else could you be replying to?????????? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I suggest you tolerate it as best as you can until you're financially independent. I hate to say it but the track record of a lot of Muslim parents taking their daughters to 'holiday' in their native countries and then marrying them off as a solution for 'rebellious' behaviour is not good and you'd be wise not to test those waters.

In the meantime, you could try to ignore the homophobia... :dontknow: Perhaps you could take up a hobby or something that reduces the amount of time you have to spend in the house.
Reply 6
hi i am muslim too. i also think it is wrong to be homophobic - there is nothing wrong with being gay! (I am straight myself)

I wish more people were tolerant like you! Even though I'm not gay myself
I don't understand why people have a problem with who you're in a relationship with, how the hell does that effect them in any god damn way?
Sorry for the rant

You will only be stuck with it until you become an independent adult. Then you can tell your family and its up to them whether they choose to accept you or not
Oh no trust me they wouldn't understand, I'm not going to even bother, they'll lose their minds lol.. They'll probably think I'm possessed by the devil or something

Seriously? How can you be possessed by the devil for not believing in Islam?
I wish more people were tolerant like you! Even though I'm not gay myself
I don't understand why people have a problem with who you're in a relationship with, how the hell does that effect them in any god damn way?
Sorry for the rant

its fine- it is always good to have a rant and let it all out! i totally agree with you, i HATE the fact that people are so bloody judgemental.

are you male or female?
are you male or female?

Female ..
Seriously? How can you be possessed by the devil for not believing in Islam?

Oh trust me you should be grateful you weren't born in a Muslim family..
There are some tolerant Muslims .. Mine isn't one of them aha

In your family, there's an increased emphasis on culture. You're desi, I'm guessing? Don't blame the religion, blame the culture, dude.

If you're saying that what you're experiencing is "all in the religious texts", then quote it.
Oh trust me you should be grateful you weren't born in a Muslim family..
There are some tolerant Muslims .. Mine isn't one of them aha

Actually i am muslim and my family would NEVER think that.
I left Islam a long time ago...my faith evaporated really quickly.
Instead of talking to some religious person that will sit down and talk to you, who you probably won't listen because that'll automatically put you on the defensive about your choice to leave Islam.

Could you instead ask a non-Muslim that is about to convert to Islam why they are choosing to join Islam, or maybe a newly convert? You'll find more common ground there, because there must've been something in Islam for non-Muslims to want to become Muslim, maybe that something can change your mind too....

#lastditchattempt
Original post by Butternuts96
In your family, there's an increased emphasis on culture. You're desi, I'm guessing? Don't blame the religion, blame the culture, dude.

If you're saying that what you're experiencing is "all in the religious texts", then quote it.

It does say in the Quran that homophobics should be killed/stoned
Quote me if I'm wrong
Original post by 06sulraj
I left Islam a long time ago...my faith evaporated really quickly.

How did it go for you?
How did it go for you?

Well my parents don't know yet, I am not intending to tell them either. I am just focusing on my education and get myself financially supported, so if worst comes to worse I will move out and look for a flat or something.

Latest