The Student Room Group

Help! I'm stuck in a triangle

Help me :frown:
I started chatting to my bf since august (i'd met him a long time before this) and we started dating a month ago. Hes at a different uni to me so the long distance is difficult.
But before we started dating I met a guy at my uni who is now my best mate even though i know he likes me.
The problem is that over the past few weeks i've started feeling things for him (which he doesn't know about) and i feel like we're a better fit than me and my bf. But then whenever the bf does visit, i completely forget about uni guy and feel like it could be a great, long-lasting relationship.
I really don't know what to do because it's so confusing. I know this probably makes me sound like an awful person, but I feel like one since my bf is so trusting. Even if no one replies to this, it feels good getting it off my chest.. though any advice would be great!
I feel like you've probably developed feelings for this uni guy just because you're around each other more than you and your bf. Don't let being in uni/away from him make you forget why you liked him in the first place

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that it's the lack of proximity that makes you feel like this. You have an 'option' closer to you and you want someone you can be around more often.

If you really want it to work with your boyfriend, Skype more often or something like that, visit eachother more often if possible, and/or break it to the other guy that you can't really continue this friendship because you're with your boyfriend and want to stay faithful to him, and don't want to potentially be tempted by someone who may like them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
I think that it's the lack of proximity that makes you feel like this. You have an 'option' closer to you and you want someone you can be around more often.

If you really want it to work with your boyfriend, Skype more often or something like that, visit eachother more often if possible, and/or break it to the other guy that you can't really continue this friendship because you're with your boyfriend and want to stay faithful to him.

Exactly👌🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice! Both of you are right, having uni guy around all the time is probably causing it, i just wish we weren't so close. I've never had a friend like this before, though sometimes i wonder if its just because he likes me :/
I should be seeing more of the bf at christmas and get a break from uni guy so the distance should hopefully make things clearer. I'm just worried that if i get drunk i'll do something stupid.
Another problem is that the main reason i'm dating my bf is because hes the first guy i've been physically attracted to. But as time goes on its becoming obvious how little we actually connect.. though that could just be the distance thing again.
Original post by jlsmpV2
what type of triangle? Equilateral, isosceles or right angled?

Bahaha! XD
OT: OP, I think it's best to go for the guy you really like and I feel that you want someone close to you(not your fault, we all want someone close to you). You need to think this through and not regret the choice you're making. Like, that quote of Johnny Depp "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one, because if you really loved the first one you wouldn't have fallen for the second one". I am sorry, but that's how I see it.
Original post by jlsmpV2
what type of triangle? Equilateral, isosceles or right angled?

+1.
Reply 7
Original post by 06sulraj
Bahaha! XD
OT: OP, I think it's best to go for the guy you really like and I feel that you want someone close to you(not your fault, we all want someone close to you). You need to think this through and not regret the choice you're making. Like, that quote of Johnny Depp "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one, because if you really loved the first one you wouldn't have fallen for the second one". I am sorry, but that's how I see it.

Damn Johnny Depp is a wise guy.. I think if it wasn't for the distance i would be able to figure things out and see it a little clearer. I'm going to wait till after the holidays and then see where things are. Btw jlsmpV2 thanks.. that sounds sarcastic but really, i hate sounding so melodramatic and whiny so :thumbsup:
Reply 8
You're stuck in a triangle? Oh no, that must be horrible! I wouldn't know how that could happen, I'm stuck on a sphere.
Reply 9
Original post by Yavanna
You're stuck in a triangle? Oh no, that must be horrible! I wouldn't know how that could happen, I'm stuck on a sphere.

See! It could happen to anyone :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I started chatting to my bf since august (i'd met him a long time before this) and we started dating a month ago. Hes at a different uni to me so the long distance is difficult.
But before we started dating I met a guy at my uni who is now my best mate even though i know he likes me.
The problem is that over the past few weeks i've started feeling things for him (which he doesn't know about) and i feel like we're a better fit than me and my bf. But then whenever the bf does visit, i completely forget about uni guy and feel like it could be a great, long-lasting relationship.
I really don't know what to do because it's so confusing. I know this probably makes me sound like an awful person, but I feel like one since my bf is so trusting. Even if no one replies to this, it feels good getting it off my chest.. though any advice would be great!

It's not awful I guess you're just confused. Maybe this guy at your uni is just attachment and not feelings... But then again you wouldn't think or like anyone else if you loved and are fully satisfied with your bf. So I guess your relationship is lacking the everyday seeing physical contact you want. In that case choose second guy. There's a reason there's a second guy exists. But like I said then again that may just be attachment you're mixing it up with having feelings.. so in that case don't mess up something you could have for life bc of something that's just closer and easier. Regardless though you should talk to your bf about this bc you clearly need the physical contact.. If you love him and know it'll last long then distance is ****ing hard so are you ready to commit for him?. Is your bf worth the distance and limited physical contact? If you are to get stuck in an elevator for 6 hours who would you want to be stuck with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Simple stay with your bf or dump him and ask the other one out

There really isn't advice to give

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending