The Student Room Group

Should i study medicine or not ?

I have paranoid schizopuhrenia and hear voices which tell me what to do. My A levels are not very good because I took them while psychotic. They are ABC ac. I am worried that I'm not safe enough to study medicine. I don't think I
Have what it takes to study medicine. What do you think? I am ready to give up my dream i have had since a child.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do a mental health nursing course, seems to suit you a lot better than, seriously, the pit of hyenas that is medicine...
Reply 2
Original post by 1lastchance
I have paranoid schizopuhrenia and hear voices which tell me what to do. My A levels are not very good because I took them while psychotic. They are ABC ac. I am worried that I'm not safe enough to study medicine. I don't think I
Have what it takes to study medicine. What do you think? I am ready to give up my dream i have had since a child.

I would recommend taking some time out after college before you go to uni so you can get yourself mentally stable first. It's going to be difficult doing a stressful course whilst psychotic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 1lastchance

You are too late, the deadline was the 15th of October, sorry :/
Original post by shawn_o1
Do a mental health nursing course, seems to suit you a lot better than, seriously, the pit of hyenas that is medicine...

Why a 'pit of hyenas' though?
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1

They more than likely won't be allowed, they have to be in a good state or health, mental and physical for a nursing course.
Original post by RebeccaBlack
Why a 'pit of hyenas' though?

If people knew he re-took his A Levels just to study an ultra-competitive course then obviously he's in for rough waters... (and because of how hard it is to get into medicine, people gonna cry wolf at any sympathetic gesture to candidates)
You're not in a good place mentally or academically. Logical answer: No, don't do medicine. Find something else.
I highly doubt any medical school would accept you with ABC.

Alternative: Go to a counsellor or therapist and get your mental state well again then go for a biomed degree first then postgrad med.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sw651
You are too late, the deadline was the 15th of October, sorry :/

I wasn't planning on applying this year
I very much doubt you'd be allowed on the course with a serious mental health condition like that, particularly if it will affect your degree-level studies the way it has your A Levels and if you are accepted on a course that includes clinical contact in the early years. Not to mention that you wouldn't actually get a licence to practise from the GMC because you'd be classified 'not fit to practise.'

As others have said: take time out before university to sort out your medical problems first and then, when you feel better, go to university. :smile:
While I wouldn't say if you should or shouldn't study medicine, be aware that even if you get on to the course, your condition may affect your fitness to practice, meaning you may not be allowed to practice medicine. I say this because you can be put under fitness to practice assessments even if you're just stressed out or if your co-workers don't understand how you work. Unless you are 100% stable and see yourself being 100% free from psychotic episodes in the future, I would consider a different job type.

I know it doesn't feel fair, and you may feel like despite your condition that you would make a good doctor, but unfortunately it would only take 1 psychotic episode and 1 poor decision made during that episode to make the medical council feel like you are not responsible and suitable as a doctor.

Can I ask why you choose to pursue medicine with this condition? Your grades are very good considering your circumstances but they are simply not good enough for medicine.
The GMC state that you can: http://www.gmc-uk.org/information_for_you/23499.asp

However, you don't sound particularly ready for it just yet. Take some time out to get your health in order so that your condition doesn't control you as it seems to do currently.
You could also retake some exams and still be let into medical school (I'm sure psychosis counts as extenuating circumstances providing you have sufficient proof) so don't worry about your grades too much.
There is definitely hope for you providing you get some treatment so that you feel confident with persuing a career in medicine and do well in your resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending