The Student Room Group

People with Aspeegers! What do u think of Sheldon.

Just wondering what people with aspergers syndrome or who are on the autism spectrum thought about Sheldon Coopers character , especially since there aren't many characters like him on t.v.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Damn how do u change the thread title ?
Reply 2
Original post by Trevormacdonald

Were you so excited at how brilliant an idea for a thread you had that you just wanted to get it out there and couldn't spend a minute reading back what you wrote?

In answer, I've never been diagnosed with Asperger's but my parents tried to get me to go and get checked out for it however I refused... So maybe I do have Asperger's...
I like Sheldon, he's funny, but Stuarts my favorite character, with a personal highlight being...
'Going to split a can of tuna with the cat... It's not even mine... sometimes it doesn't even show up...'
If that isn't relatable then I don't know what is...
I have ASD, and I love Sheldon. For all his faults, he is really quite endearing. And some of his traits are similar to mine. Would be nice to be as brilliant as he is, though...

All that said, I don't think it's ever been officially mentioned that the character is on the spectrum?

Click edit, and then "preview post". You should be able to change it there. :smile:
Original post by Kittiara
I have ASD, and I love Sheldon. For all his faults, he is really quite endearing. And some of his traits are similar to mine. Would be nice to be as brilliant as he is, though...

All that said, I don't think it's ever been officially mentioned that the character is on the spectrum?

No it deosnt need to be officially mentioned since he clearly is.
I would like to see some characters on t.v with autism or asd who aren't as annoying as Sheldon tbh.
Bump.
Reply 8
Sheldon doesn't have Asperger's or Autism - that has never been confirmed
Just wondering what people with aspergers syndrome or who are on the autism spectrum thought about Sheldon Coopers character , especially since there aren't many characters like him on t.v.

He's an interesting enough character and I find his quirks amusing.
Reply 10
Do you not know that Autism is a very bad stigma condition, hence why no one comment and admit they have this condition

I think the sheldon character exaggarates the asperger's scale but indeally he is actually one of my characters in comedy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Uyi 95
Do you not know that Autism is a very bad stigma condition, hence why no one comment and admit they have this condition

I think the sheldon character exaggarates the asperger's scale but indeally he is actually one of my characters in comedy[/QUO
People shouldn't feel any stigma for having autism or being on the autism spectrum.
From now on I want wveryone to comment.
(edited 8 years ago)
I like quorn burgers. :u:
Original post by Explorerthumb
I like quorn burgers. :u:

O.k?
O.k?

I'm not a burger! :unimpressed:
Original post by Uyi 95

I think the sheldon character exaggarates the asperger's scale but indeally he is actually one of my characters in comedy

Aspergers is very different to other forms of Autism

People with Aspergers often develop faster than average, have higher IQ scores than average, and have academic interests.
People with other forms of high functioning austism often have delayed speech, learning difficulties, etc., and IQs not far above 70.

Famous scientists like Einstein, Newton, had Aspergers traits, and may well have had Aspergers, but you would struggle to find examples of famous scientists with other forms of autism.
Original post by z33
Sheldon doesn't have Asperger's or Autism - that has never been confirmed

Well, people will think he has, whether or not it is confirmed.

OP, I think overall its a positive representation - he is shown as incredibly socially inept, but reasonably clever, which is a stereotype I can live with.
Reply 17
Original post by Wissenschaft

OP, I think overall its a positive representation - he is shown as incredibly socially inept, but reasonably clever, which is a stereotype I can live with.

I didn't say they wont but I'm just saying it hasn't been confirmed if he has it or not :3
Original post by Wissenschaft

But don't u think he comes across as too cold most times ?
I don't have Asperger's, but I hate Sheldon. I really don't like how sexist he can be about women in science. And also how he constantly puts Howard down because he deems science better and more important than engineering. But I'm being biased.

Quick Reply

Latest