The Student Room Group

Hmm Where am I going wrong?

Hi,
I've applied to many places, handed in Cv's to others but never seem to get the job after interview or even group interview. I think its because I'm fairly quiet and keep myself to myself tbh. It seems pathetic to go through all this fuss for a small part time job. Understandable if it was a top high paid I was fighting for.
I would appreciate if someone could offer some general tips and advice for interviews, especially how to sell myself.
I have an interview for woolworths on monday,and I'm so desperate for money and a job atm I'm fighting so hard to make sure I get it!
Many thanks
Matt
Reply 1
Hi there,

First things first, don't panic!
You say you've handed CVs in, but have you sent these with a cover letter, detailing WHY you want to work at the specific place not just CVs to everyone can think of! Have you been calling/asking for application forms for places and returning these with your CV and cover letter?
And regarding yourself as quiet is irrelevant at least at the applying stage - how will a potential employer know your quiet/shy from just a CV/application?

That may help any further applications...:wink:

Regarding interviews, general tips on this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=284114
I recently landed myself 2, yes 2 :wink: , part time jobs (only accepted 1 of course!) and interviews for each were fairly similar.
The way I had to 'sell myself' at my interviews recently was to give words that others would describe me as so: honest/reliable/loud/chatty/hardworking etc. both interviews asked me this and one asked me to list this myself on a few worksheets!

Best of luck on Monday, don't try too hard - you'll look desperate. :smile:
Let us know how it goes
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! Prepared myself with those questions!
Interview seemed to go very well, but you can never be too sure!
But I feel it looks promising! So fingers crossed :smile:
Thanks again,
Matt
Reply 3
I got the Job! Woop!
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Matt
Reply 4
:biggrin: well done!
Reply 5
Congratulations!! :wink: :biggrin:

Any time, glad to be of help