The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels

I'm currently choosing a levels, and the subjects I definitely want to take are economics and sociology and the other subjects i'm interested in are: history, government & politics, RE and maths. for anyone who takes these subjects are they a good balance what are your honest opinions on them? do you enjoy them? are they interesting, out of them which ones would strongly you recommend? would history, government & politics and sociology be too much workload because they're essay based and I haven't done history at gcse would that be a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
sociology is a very good choice :wink:, i do sociology and history (and geography) for me personally sociology is one of those subjects with a lot of content but for some reason it just sticks in your head and you just seem to get it, history has a,lot of content, right now in history we do Russia and Tudors, and i thought it was going to be boring as i did Tudors in primary school, but it is very interesting and an enjoyable course. but whether a course is enjoyable or not is not just up to the content of the lesson its also up to the teacher and their style of teaching, so maybe look at the style of teaching between the subjects your undecided about and their content and judge from that. i hope i sort of helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by rubyrae8
sociology is a very good choice :wink:, i do sociology and history (and geography) for me personally sociology is one of those subjects with a lot of content but for some reason it just sticks in your head and you just seem to get it, history has a,lot of content, right now in history we do Russia and Tudors, and i thought it was going to be boring as i did Tudors in primary school, but it is very interesting and an enjoyable course. but whether a course is enjoyable or not is not just up to the content of the lesson its also up to the teacher and their style of teaching, so maybe look at the style of teaching between the subjects your undecided about and their content and judge from that. i hope i sort of helped :smile:

thank you for replying! an yeah i have looked at the content and with history the exam board for the sixth form i want to go to is aqa an what we're supposed to be studying is the making of a superpower usa an the making of modern Britain, they seem interesting but the specification is completely different for next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilsadkitty
I'm currently choosing a levels, and the subjects I definitely want to take are economics and sociology and the other subjects i'm interested in are: history, government & politics, RE and maths. for anyone who takes these subjects are they a good balance what are your honest opinions on them? do you enjoy them? are they interesting, out of them which ones would strongly you recommend? would history, government & politics and sociology be too much workload because they're essay based and I haven't done history at gcse would that be a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you want to study at uni?
Id definitely recommend sociology though I did it and loved it. There is plenty of theory to learn, but its pretty easy to understand and it somehow sticks.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
What do you want to study at uni?
Id definitely recommend sociology though I did it and loved it. There is plenty of theory to learn, but its pretty easy to understand and it somehow sticks.

well i think i want to go into something finance related but i really just want to take sociology because I'm really interested in it, the content and i'm always hearing good stuff about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply