The Student Room Group

Everyone just ignores me...

All of my 'friends' seem to ignore me constantly so much so that I dread talking to new people, or even getting close to them.

One girl has a picture of me and her on her profile picture, yet she hasn't spoken to me in ages, and has ignored every message I've sent. She also changed the profile picture to the one of us when we weren't even talking. Every time we do talk she says that I'm her best friend and constantly asks me to come over to her house, but she's ignored me recently when I've asked about it. I know she's had other people we know over to her house, though, because I've seen the photos that have been posted. She's also online on Facebook whenever I look.

Another girl, who replies better than the girl above (but still ignores,) posts photos of us all of the time, saying we need to have catch-ups and always tags me in those quote pictures. I do go out with her much more frequently (but still, like, once a month, lol.) Though when I try to arrange something she normally doesn't reply, or she's always busy, yet she seems to go out with other people. She wrote a status once about being ignored and never being invited out, yet I always made an effort?

A guy I know also invites me out occassionally when he has parties or its a special occassion, but whenever I message him I just get ignored, yet when we meet up he's so nice to me and always says we need to go out more often.

I've also met this new girl. We went out once, and I asked her to go out for my birthday the following weekend, she was saying how she'd definitely come out, even texting about it the next day. But then on the night I asked she ignored me.

This is literally my life story, and it really triggers my depression. I feel like I'm never going to be able to get close to anyone. I just always think about going to uni and how much better it will be, but I know it'll just be the same. I'll get ignored wherever I go and have no real friends at all...Why does it seem like nobody likes me when I haven't done anything wrong? Why would they all ignore me...? How can I change?
Friends come and go, more than it has ever been. People are more self-centered, friendships don't last, people aren't bothered to make the extra minutes of effort that could make them more content with life. And every December just seems like a chore, with people giving presents to their relatives and going to the big fancy family dinners only because their parents tell them to. That's modern life :/

To answer your question, don't change. You can't please everyone. But don't give up on being "out there" and trying new things when you get to uni (even if they seem completely irrelevant to what you're studying). Being interested in things makes you interesting, which in turn makes some people interested in you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Friends come and go, more than it has ever been. People are more self-centered, friendships don't last, people aren't bothered to make the extra minutes of effort that could make them more content with life. And every December just seems like a chore, with people giving presents to their relatives and going to the big fancy family dinners only because their parents tell them to. That's modern life :/

To answer your question, don't change. You can't please everyone. But don't give up on being "out there" and trying new things when you get to uni (even if they seem completely irrelevant to what you're studying). Being interested in things makes you interesting, which in turn makes some people interested in you :smile:

I understand about friends coming and going and all of that, but why has this girl put me on her profile picture if she doesn't want to be my friend? And why does the other girl constantly post pictures of us? :/ I wouldn't be bothered if they'd made it clear that they didn't want to be my friend, instead of posting things, because it hurts more when they ignore me.

Thanks, though. I just hope uni will actually be better!
Reply 3
How do you open a conversation?
Would you say you make fun conversations?
What about talking to boys
Reply 4
Original post by hejraat
How do you open a conversation?
Would you say you make fun conversations?
What about talking to boys

I get straight to the point when I open conversations, as I did consider these people my good friends. So I just asked one girl when I could come visit her because she ignored when I last told her about getting my university offers. Yeah, I would think I make fun conversations because, since they're my friends, there's none of the 'how are you' 'what are you up to' stuff. It's just talking about stuff that's happened and stuff that we discussed when we were out, and we normally laugh at some of the texts/things said when we meet up. So I just don't understand it at all...It's not as if I've just asked how they are, which could understandbly be ignored.

I'm talking to one guy at the moment (not sure as just a friend or not,) but we've been talking for quite a while, and he hasn't ignored me. There are also two other guys, which I know I could text, and they wouldn't ignore. I also have one good girl friend, who has never ignored me (but she's just had a major operation, so I kind of feel unable to talk to her.) I have been ignored in the past, though...It always seems to happen, and it just gets me so depressed. I feel like my entire life is going to be like this, and no one is ever going to really like me. I fear even talking to people now in case they ignore me.
Reply 5
Wait - are you a girl? Or homosexual?
Original post by Anonymous
I understand about friends coming and going and all of that, but why has this girl put me on her profile picture if she doesn't want to be my friend? And why does the other girl constantly post pictures of us? :/ I wouldn't be bothered if they'd made it clear that they didn't want to be my friend, instead of posting things, because it hurts more when they ignore me.

If you have their phone numbers, give them a call. When you can hear the other person talk, the conversation flows much better. Texts and messages can be misinterpreted all too often. Make sure you don't bring Facebook up. Just the usual chat that people even of 10 years ago would have enjoyed. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
You've just described my whole experience at university. People are friendly and enthusiastic all the time with me in actual conversation, but otherwise they pretend as if I don't exist.
Reply 8
Original post by hejraat
Wait - are you a girl? Or homosexual?

I'm a girl...

If you have their phone numbers, give them a call. When you can hear the other person talk, the conversation flows much better. Texts and messages can be misinterpreted all too often. Make sure you don't bring Facebook up. Just the usual chat that people even of 10 years ago would have enjoyed. :smile:

Ah, I really can't talk on the phone. Like have really bad anxiety over it, which is why I never tend to do it. But if I did, I honestly don't think they would answer anyway. I called up one of them when I was drunk before, and she didn't answer.

You've just described my whole experience at university. People are friendly and enthusiastic all the time with me in actual conversation, but otherwise they pretend as if I don't exist.

I'm so glad that it's not only me that's going through this! How are you coping with it? Do you just not make an effort with them anymore? I hoped university would be a change from this :frown:
I'm a girl...

Ah, I really can't talk on the phone. Like have really bad anxiety over it, which is why I never tend to do it. But if I did, I honestly don't think they would answer anyway. I called up one of them when I was drunk before, and she didn't answer.

I'm so glad that it's not only me that's going through this! How are you coping with it? Do you just not make an effort with them anymore? I hoped university would be a change from this :frown:

You're going to have to overcome this, since the telephone interview is a key component of the job application process. Do you receive phone calls from relatives at least? Or do they also text you? (You probably do have a job already but you'd prefer to be moving on to a better job once you get a degree and new skills?) Anyway, you never know unless you try. You can even mention to your friend(s) over the phone that you're being brave and trying to overcome a fear, they'll be really happy for you :smile:
Ive experienced a similar thing as well with a friend. Last summer we were great friends but then something suddenly changed. She started talking to the more popular people so me and another friend lost the friendship. Sadly friendship fades and once broken it is difficult to repair if not impossible. Sometimes it could be a miscommunication like I had with a friend(she thought I hated her) but I got some mutual friends to intervene and sort out, everything was fine.

I've had to change my friendship group once and I feel that I'll have to try my luck with the year below next year as I'm in my a-levels. I feel like I'm the only one that wants a friendship with someone else, I'm always the one that has to reach out, no one ever messages me and when I do it's often a lame reply or ignored completely. My social life is a mess too
Reply 11

As someone said, people are self-centered. Maybe this girl put you on her profile picture because she liked the way she looks on it (and she couldn't cut you out of the pic without screwing it?). As far as the other girl is concerned, I know a few like her. They post pictures all the time. Pictures of them everyday, pictures of everything they do. So if they hang out with you sometimes, you will be on those pictures. Why does she tag you? Probably because your friends will see those pics and can like them... She wants more likes, that's it.

I would be honest with them and tell them and see what they say about this. If they aren't nice, get rid of them... That's what I would do because I think it's better to have no friends than bad friends...
(edited 8 years ago)

Mostly I just brush it off and try not to focus on it too much. I wouldn't say that I no longer make an effort, but I've certainly learned to lower my expectations and anticipate less following my interactions with people.

My only advice to you would be to stick it out and not worry too much about it. Focus on other things that are important to you, and try not to be too reliant on friendships for keeping yourself happy. I know that it's not easy - it certainly isn't easy for me - but if you continue being reasonably outgoing and approachable, then with luck you should eventually find at least some people who are willing to appreciate you for who you are.
You're going to have to overcome this, since the telephone interview is a key component of the job application process. Do you receive phone calls from relatives at least? Or do they also text you? (You probably do have a job already but you'd prefer to be moving on to a better job once you get a degree and new skills?) Anyway, you never know unless you try. You can even mention to your friend(s) over the phone that you're being brave and trying to overcome a fear, they'll be really happy for you :smile:

Everyone texts me, mostly. I only take calls from my dad. I'm just scared that they aren't going to answer. I did call one of the girls when I was out drunk, and she did just ignore my phone call. I know this because she didn't even text asking what I wanted (when you would do that, wouldn't you?) I would actually rather talk to people face to face than on the phone (even though that's hard too...) I make all of my appointments in person.

Original post by Will98765
Ive experienced a similar thing as well with a friend. Last summer we were great friends but then something suddenly changed. She started talking to the more popular people so me and another friend lost the friendship. Sadly friendship fades and once broken it is difficult to repair if not impossible. Sometimes it could be a miscommunication like I had with a friend(she thought I hated her) but I got some mutual friends to intervene and sort out, everything was fine.

I've had to change my friendship group once and I feel that I'll have to try my luck with the year below next year as I'm in my a-levels. I feel like I'm the only one that wants a friendship with someone else, I'm always the one that has to reach out, no one ever messages me and when I do it's often a lame reply or ignored completely. My social life is a mess too

Thanks for your reply!

I do understand friendships fizzling out, but it just confuses why she has a picture of us on her profile picture if she doesn't want to be friends, and why the other girl constantly tags me in things. It would be easier to let them go and move on if they didn't do these things. I just wish they would at least give me a one word reply, instead of outright ignoring.

I really do feel you. My social life is a complete mess since all of my 'friends' don't bother and are ignoring me. I'm actually so glad to know that it's not only me that this happens to. I wish I was confident enough to meet new people and form new friendship groups.

Original post by Conkerr
As someone said, people are self-centered. Maybe this girl put you on her profile picture because she liked the way she looks on it (and she couldn't cut you out of the pic without screwing it?). As far as the other girl is concerned, I know a few like her. They post pictures all the time. Pictures of them everyday, pictures of everything they do. So if they hang out with you sometimes, you will be on those pictures. Why does she tag you? Probably because your friends will see those pics and can like them... She wants more likes, that's it.

I would be honest with them and tell them and see what they say about this. If they aren't nice, get rid of them... That's what I would do because I think it's better to have no friends than bad friends...

Thanks for the post!

The photo isn't even recent, though. It's from 3 years ago, and before she changed it she had modern photos of herself on. She must have had to also browse through the pictures to find it, as she gets tagged in LOADS of things. You also can't even click on it, so she can't be doing it for the likes? I honestly don't understand. I do realise that you may be right about the other girl, though. She does post a lot of photos and quote pictures constantly.

Would I not seem desperate if I was honest with them in the message, though, especially considering that the profile picture girl has ignored 3 of my messages? Would I not come across as needy if I sent something else now? But I'm sure if I don't, then she'll never speak to me again.

[QUOTE="Anonymous;60984579"]Mostly I just brush it off and try not to focus on it too much. I wouldn't say that I no longer make an effort, but I've certainly learned to lower my expectations and anticipate less following my interactions with people.

My only advice to you would be to stick it out and not worry too much about it. Focus on other things that are important to you, and try not to be too reliant on friendships for keeping yourself happy. I know that it's not easy - it certainly isn't easy for me - but if you continue being reasonably outgoing and approachable, then with luck you should eventually find at least some people who are willing to appreciate you for who you are.[/QUOTE

I wish I could lower my expectations :frown: I just panic now because I make no effort with new people that I meet, as I constantly think they'll be the same and just ignore me.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you self-centered?
Reply 15
Thanks for the post!

The photo isn't even recent, though. It's from 3 years ago, and before she changed it she had modern photos of herself on. She must have had to also browse through the pictures to find it, as she gets tagged in LOADS of things. You also can't even click on it, so she can't be doing it for the likes? I honestly don't understand. I do realise that you may be right about the other girl, though. She does post a lot of photos and quote pictures constantly.

Would I not seem desperate if I was honest with them in the message, though, especially considering that the profile picture girl has ignored 3 of my messages? Would I not come across as needy if I sent something else now? But I'm sure if I don't, then she'll never speak to me again.

Well, there might be other explanations but unfortunately I don't think I'm too far from reality to be honest.

It's up to you! Being honest is never a bad thing but if she has already ignored 3 of your messages then yes, you might seem a little desperate... But do you really care? I mean anyway, as you said you won't see her anymore if you don't do anything. And even if you do, there are chances you won't see her either. So what if she thinks you're desperate? You'll think she's an *******, and I'd rather be desperate than a *******.

If you want to send a message to tell them everything - do it. I wouldn't want it though. People who ignore you many times, who are ready not to see you again... They're just not worth it.
Original post by Conkerr
Well, there might be other explanations but unfortunately I don't think I'm too far from reality to be honest.

It's up to you! Being honest is never a bad thing but if she has already ignored 3 of your messages then yes, you might seem a little desperate... But do you really care? I mean anyway, as you said you won't see her anymore if you don't do anything. And even if you do, there are chances you won't see her either. So what if she thinks you're desperate? You'll think she's an *******, and I'd rather be desperate than a *******.

If you want to send a message to tell them everything - do it. I wouldn't want it though. People who ignore you many times, who are ready not to see you again... They're just not worth it.

Thank you for your honesty. This would be so much easier to believe if she hadn't posted that picture from 3 years ago, and not even made it clickable. At first I thought that maybe she wanted to show people how pretty she was compared to me (as it was a really bad picture of me,) but if she wanted to do that, then she'd have tagged me in it, I guess, and she didn't, and none of her uni friends, who post pictures with her, know who I am. Also, the last time she did text, she asked when I wanted to come to her house, saying that I'd like all of these shops beside it, and we could go and have nice cocktails.

Yeah, I think I'm just not going to say anything for a while. If she doesn't say anything by the new year, I will, though, as I'm trying to make resolutions to let my depressing past and all of these people go :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending