The Student Room Group

biology unit 2 help

describe the function of muscle cells in the wall of the stomach?
Original post by Jack210
describe the function of muscle cells in the wall of the stomach?

Okay, what other information are you given and how many marks is it worth?
Reply 2
its worth 2 marks and i was given figure 6 which is mitochondria and it has a scale bar of 0.1mm(i think the scale is for part b) at the start of the question it states 'figure 6 shows some muscle cells from the wall of the stomoach, as seen through a light microscope
Are you sure this is B2? I haven't come across a question like that before.
My assumption would be something to do with diffusion within cells.
*update- it might be something to do with the amount of food in the stomach, and muscles tighten/flatten based on amount of food?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jack210
its worth 2 marks and i was given figure 6 which is mitochondria and it has a scale bar of 0.1mm(i think the scale is for part b) at the start of the question it states 'figure 6 shows some muscle cells from the wall of the stomoach, as seen through a light microscope

Okay, so we know stomach muscles churn the food in the stomach to turn it into chyme, don't we?

Can you think on anything else stomach muscle does?
I'm guessing you'd say that the muscle cells contract and relax, digesting the food in the stomach. They need energy in the form of ATP do to this. Mitochondria synthesise ATP. (Don't know if you've been taught about ATP yet so just say mitochondria are a source of energy). Hope I helped!
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm guessing you'd say that the muscle cells contract and relax, digesting the food in the stomach. They need energy in the form of ATP do to this. Mitochondria synthesise ATP. (Don't know if you've been taught about ATP yet so just say mitochondria are a source of energy). Hope I helped!

Sounds right, and yes, they won't need to know about ATP at GCSE level.

Quick Reply

Latest