The Student Room Group

If Islamic State were Atheist, most of y'all wouldn't care

I'm not saying Islamic State is good, they're not, but the inconsistent attitude among many White Atheists is pretty damn hypocritical to say the least.

Assad drops barrel bombs on the civilian population - 'Assad is the only man who can keep Syria together'

Putin kills innocent journalists who speak out against him, then bombs 4 hospitals - Half of you think he is a hero

Islamic State beheads people in the name of Islam - Oh noes :cry: Axis of evil, 'religion of hate' blahblahblah

Either they're all evil or none of them are, sort out your damn morals.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 雷尼克
I think you need to sort out your morales, your perception of diversity is immensely poor.

No it isn't

I am opposed to Islamic State, but I recognise the fact that Assad has probably killed more Syrians than anyone and that his continued oppression is what has caused Islamic State to begin with.

Yet people don't seem to mind him that much :facepalm2:
(edited 8 years ago)
People have more hatred towards Islamic State , because they have an agenda with the west. Do you see Russia or Assad sending suicide bombers to western cities? People just don't care about death unless it affects them. ( Sad , but true)
Reply 3
Um Assad isn't an atheist though? And Putin is a short moron lol conned half the planet but he's still dumb asfk
Actually if ISIS were of the atheist persuasion then it'd presumably be a political matter and not a religious one; they'd garner followers at a much slower rate, and people would be less inclined to take them seriously as, although democracy has its' flaws when not practiced properly, most people agree that it's the fairest way to conduct an election.

So it's not exactly an apt comparison when the roots of the problem are intrinsically different.
Original post by 雷尼克
Yes it is, you basically just said that all Muslims are evil or none of them are. There are evil Muslims and good Muslims... Some of the evil ones are a part of the group 'ISIS' and some of the good ones are those fighting against 'ISIS'...

Clearly we have comprehension issues, I never said Islamic State represents all Muslims

The point I am making is that Westerners perceive killers differently when they kill for Islam

Original post by whorace
Um Assad isn't an atheist though? And Putin is a short moron lol conned half the planet but he's still dumb asfk

Assad is a tyrant, but he doesn't kill in the name of Islam, Assad kills for political power and that's my point.

He doesn't have a big scary beard and black flags, he wears a suit, has quite Western facial hair and people don't seem to mind him very much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the rad daddy
I'm not saying Islamic State is good, they're not, but the inconsistent attitude among many White Atheists is pretty damn hypocritical to say the least.

Assad drops barrel bombs on the civilian population - 'Assad is the only man who can keep Syria together'

Putin kills innocent journalists who speak out against him, then bombs 4 hospitals - Half of you think he is a hero

Islamic State beheads people in the name of Islam - Oh noes :cry: Axis of evil, 'religion of hate' blahblahblah

I totally agree, there were many athiest extremists in the past and there are still some present, yet I haven't heard anyone tell any athiest to condemn their acts!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 雷尼克
I'm having comprehension issues? You're having communication issues, if you're trying to make a point actually MAKE it instead of implying it because guess what we can't read your mind and your little phrase about how "they're either all evil or not" could be interpreted in many different ways.

[video="youtube;IjSk9krYg5U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSk9krYg5U[/video]
How stupid. Of course we'd care

The point I am making is that Westerners perceive killers differently when they kill for Islam

Is that not also at least partially because The IS are explicitly anti-Western and have carried out terrorist attacks in the West?

Were an atheist group to do the same (declare the West its enemy and carry out terrorist attacks aimed at civilians in the West) I'd like to think that I wouldn't see it much differently than I do The IS.
How could IS be atheist, that doesn't even make sense.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Is that not also at least partially because The IS are explicitly anti-Western and have carried out terrorist attacks in the West?

Were an atheist group to do the same (declare the West its enemy and carry out terrorist attacks aimed at civilians in the West) I'd like to think that I wouldn't see it much differently than I do The IS.

They've carried out far more attacks in the middle east

Arab lives do matter
They've carried out far more attacks in the middle east

Arab lives do matter

I haven't disputed anything you've said; and you haven't said anything that negates (or engages with) anything I've said.
Original post by 雷尼克
I'm having comprehension issues? You're having communication issues, if you're trying to make a point actually MAKE it instead of implying it because guess what we can't read your mind and your little phrase about how "they're either all evil or not" could be interpreted in many different ways.

The way I interpreted it was that 'they' referred to ISIS/Assad/Putin, not all Muslims, but idk
I haven't disputed anything you've said; and you haven't said anything that negates (or engages with) anything I've said.

I'm just saying, that had their ideology been something which is not Islamic, far fewer people would care in the same way they do not seem to the mind the tyrant Putin.

Assad is certainly 'evil'. You're identifying a hypocrisy that isn't there.
I'm just saying, that had their ideology been something which is not Islamic, far fewer people would care in the same way they do not seem to the mind the tyrant Putin.

And I'm just saying that that's because Putin hasn't directly stated that the West are his mortal enemy; or that he wishes to colonise the world; and he hasn't carried out any terrorist attacks against civilians in the West.

Those are three reasons which explain the disparity that you alluded to (in how the IS and Putin/Assad are perceived).
I didn't even know about the Putin thing you just mentioned... it hasn't received enough coverage. If it did, it would surely receive the same response. People don't hate ISIS because it's a group of extremist muslims, they hate it because of what it does.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abruiseonthesky
The way I interpreted it was that 'they' referred to ISIS/Assad/Putin, not all Muslims, but idk

I'm glad there is someone on my thread who isn't a total moron.

And I'm just saying that that's because Putin hasn't directly stated that the West are his mortal enemy; or that he wishes to colonise the world; and he hasn't carried out any terrorist attacks against civilians in the West.Those are three reasons which explain the disparity that you alluded to (in how the IS and Putin/Assad are perceived).

Apart from that time he invaded a sovereign Western state and then grabbed a chunk of it...
They're all bad imo.
Assad = murder done to further his own agenda. Putin = murder done to further his own agenda. ISIS = murder done to further their agenda.
The "agendas" or reasons are different, but they've all still been responsible for killing a lot of people. Same with most people in governmental power or just in power.
Tbh, I don't even see ISIS as being "Muslim" - the same way I don't see the KKK as being "Christian". They're both extremists who use religion as a reason to do absolutely disgusting things that they, themselves are inclined to do.

Quick Reply

Latest