The Student Room Group

should i bother?? (medicine)

Do u need high gcse's ( i.e. average of a*'s) for a med uni to even consider you for an interview? im currently doin AS levels in bio,chem maths and physics and considering (not actually sure though) of applying to medicine for the 2009 entry. im just wondering if it'd b a complete waste applying with these gcse grades:

aaa (double science/maths) bbbbbb (sociology/history/german/eng lit/eng lang/ict) and c (gujurati)

i know certains schools like bham want so like 6 a*'s, but are london uni's very picky on gcse grades too to base their offers for an interview especially if so many applications are made.
Reply 1
A simple search should bring up tonnes of threads for you to read. This has been done thousands of times before. In short:

Ribbons
Check the websites/prospectus of where you want to apply. If you meet the GCSE minimum requirements then youre better off worrying about improving what you can.
Nope, not all Unis chuck your application out on basis of your GCSE grades. Just make sure you get those 3A's (preferably 4!) at A-level to impress them.
Reply 3
U obviously wont be turning any heads on ur gcse's so like vicky sed u need at least 3 A'z at AS. I didnt have excellent GCSE results eithr(1 A*,5A, 3B) and i came out with geo/bio/chem/phy with ABBB and i stil got in. U need a good PS that will make u stand out and make them want to meet u!
As long as u meet their min requirments and are predicted AAA then they have no reason not to interview u if ur PS is good.
Also if ur thinkin of applyin to london then mayb u shud look at a few BMAT practice papers, alot of my friends loaded their application with london uni's(UCL,Imperial etc) and then they took the BMAT and didnt perform as well as they liked. I suggest not applying to academic uni's that dont interview such as edin,soton and also not uni's that like high A* (belfast and birm). But if medicine is reli want you want to do and u have got good PS and good work exp then i see no reason why they shudnt interview you. Pick wisely tho!

Latest

Trending

Trending