The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle: Computer Science Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FREYA2898
How much would you expect to earn after a comp sci degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Average for Newcastle Comp Sci grads is £25000 starting salary.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 61
I've received an offer from Newcastle for cs; really excited. I'm wondering what accommodation people are planning to go to?
Same here Dnaap, really not sure on what accommodation to go for.
Same here ^^ maybe castle leazes

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done a bit of research, and assuming we spend the majority of our time in the Devonshire building, the closest accommodation to that is Kensington/Park/Windsor Terrace.
(edited 7 years ago)
Same here ^^ maybe castle leazes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any reason for Castle Leazes?
Original post by Aydin7
I've done a bit of research, and assuming we spend the majority of our time in the Devonshire building, the closest accommodation to that is Kensington/Park/Windsor Terrace.

Loads of students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loads of students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently windsor is really unsociable so I'm unsure about that, which catering plan you going for
Reply 68
Original post by Aydin7
Apparently windsor is really unsociable so I'm unsure about that, which catering plan you going for

Lol I chose Windsor

"Sociable" = noise

I like sleep.

Regardless, you don't need the busiest of places to make friends. Know plenty of people at managed partnerships with loads of friends. Don't get why people pick accommodation based on the concentration of students per floor, what's the point? There are plenty of people to mix with, anywhere.
Have accom results come out yet?
Original post by TrojanH
Lol I chose Windsor

"Sociable" = noise

I like sleep.

Regardless, you don't need the busiest of places to make friends. Know plenty of people at managed partnerships with loads of friends. Don't get why people pick accommodation based on the concentration of students per floor, what's the point? There are plenty of people to mix with, anywhere.

I ended up going for: Kensington, Park, castle Leazes and The View. Its my insurance though, so they'll probably just put me wherever lol.
Reply 71
Hey Guys, got an offer a few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to September. One quick question, are there any people here who have no programming experience going in? I've studied maths, physics and chemistry at A level, so I'm a bit nervous I'll be behind everyone.
Reply 72
Original post by Aydin7
I ended up going for: Kensington, Park, castle Leazes and The View. Its my insurance though, so they'll probably just put me wherever lol.

Nice, also chose Kensignton and Park myself. I only chose those two but the ensuite and the "deluxe" ensuite, as I recall, it was still cheaper than the View despite the higher price per week, because the rent excludes summer time.
Reply 73
Original post by Hawxy
Hey Guys, got an offer a few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to September. One quick question, are there any people here who have no programming experience going in? I've studied maths, physics and chemistry at A level, so I'm a bit nervous I'll be behind everyone.

Not many have. You'll pick it up. No worries. I haven't either, but I aim on doing some light reading in the summer to make up.
Original post by TrojanH
Nice, also chose Kensignton and Park myself. I only chose those two but the ensuite and the "deluxe" ensuite, as I recall, it was still cheaper than the View despite the higher price per week, because the rent excludes summer time.

Didn't see that The View was 43 weeks! I've changed it to Kensington > Park>the previous' deluxe alternatives> Windsor > Castle Leazes.
Original post by Hawxy

i asked a professor on my applicant day interview if there is any way I can prepare during the summer. He suggested (despite the fact I can code in visual basic) that i learn python, as the majority of other students will have learnt python in year 13. I would suggest you also try and learn some python.
Reply 76
Original post by Aydin7
Didn't see that The View was 43 weeks! I've changed it to Kensington > Park>the previous' deluxe alternatives> Windsor > Castle Leazes.

I chose those excluding Castle Leazes.

Do you have any idea what weekly spendings most uni kids incur? I'm wanting an idea of what I'll need to budget for.
Original post by TrojanH

Do you have any idea what weekly spendings most uni kids incur? I'm wanting an idea of what I'll need to budget for.

If you go catered, they give you £50 a week for food. It's obviously going to vary massively between people(societies, nights out etc), but £50 is a good ballpark value I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH

Take a look at our guide to living costs :smile:

Persephone
Eagerly anticipating my accommodation "results" despite not having sorted out my student finance lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending