The Student Room Group

Bristol economics

I am interested in a career in investment banking after my degree and so I'm looking for courses which will offer me the best chance. I am going to be applying to Bristol University for Economics, but I'm unsure of which course to choose. I have listed the two courses below, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. BSc Economics (L100)
2. BSc Economics and Finance (LN13)
Original post by tom_mcc
I am interested in a career in investment banking after my degree and so I'm looking for courses which will offer me the best chance. I am going to be applying to Bristol University for Economics, but I'm unsure of which course to choose. I have listed the two courses below, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. BSc Economics (L100)

Just choose one you'd rather study.

I mean, sure, Finance will help you with technical interviews but it's easy enough to pick up from online.

I'd apply to some of the regular targets (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick) as well, if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tom_mcc

1. BSc Economics (L100)

I'd pick 1 for the reason that anyone studying finance just flags up as someone who has picked their degree for a career in banking and could therefore be a bit of a loser. I've heard this sort of stuff a bit from networking as well, they want diversity, i.e. not 100 finance grads. Also Finance comes across as just being a bit of a doss degree and is not going to open a broad set of doors (limits your future opportunities).

Also, whatever you need to learn in the bank you can quite quickly learn when you're there, you don't need to study this when you're supposed to be studying something that is really interesting. Do something you'll genuinely enjoy.

If I were you though, I wouldn't choose either option. I would choose Econ & something interesting like Econ & French or Econ & History or Econ & (something you want to study). Makes you stand out a lot more and gives you a bigger set of opportunities when you graduate!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending