The Student Room Group

How will you Vote in EU referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
I oppose multiculturalism as I have my own culture and as the culture of this country it should take precedence over all people in this country and any clashes my culture should come first.

You've not given a reason why you oppose multiculturalism though. A country can have a dominant culture but still be multicultural.

I have no issues with anyone wanting to join my culture and be a part of it (regardless of who you are) what I object to is those who want the benefits of my culture without taking part

Such as?

You'd be surprised how many use the EU route to get to the UK

How many people do that?
Original post by newpersonage
It is amazing that people are saying that the UK has influence in the EU, the UK only has 8.5% of the vote in the EU Council!

Germany also has 8.5% of the vote even though they've got a larger population than we do.

Guess it's time for Euroskeptics to stop saying that Germany controls the EU, don't you think? :wink:
It is amazing that people are saying that the UK has influence in the EU, the UK only has 8.5% of the vote in the EU Council!

Actually upon further investigation it appears that voting in the EU Council no longer uses weighted voting.

So the UK does not have only 8.5% of the vote in the EU Council. It would have around 13%, though weights are no longer used, which reflects it's percentage of the total EU population.
Original post by SHallowvale
Germany also has 8.5% of the vote even though they've got a larger population than we do.

Guess it's time for Euroskeptics to stop saying that Germany controls the EU, don't you think? :wink:

I didn't say that, the EU is totally out of control and a monster. Note that many of the posts above are about fears that the EU will bully Britain after leaving. (Britain will be easily able to resist). What is Germanic about the EU is the evil nightmare of everyone marching together, stamping out all diversity across a continent. The monstrous idea of forming an empire to impose the will of the Establishment classes on other nations is lurking in Europe again.
Remain. Whilst I can empathise with many of the arguements made by those wanting us to leave I feel that economically (Especially in the North of England, NI and Scotland) it would cripple a lot of the country. Also time and time again most notably recently we are seeing EU rulings protecting us from an aggresive right wing government.
I didn't say that, the EU is totally out of control and a monster. Note that many of the posts above are about fears that the EU will bully Britain after leaving. (Britain will be easily able to resist). What is Germanic about the EU is the evil nightmare of everyone marching together, stamping out all diversity across a continent. The monstrous idea of forming an empire to impose the will of the Establishment classes on other nations is lurking in Europe again.

You did. You said that the UK has no influence (or no meaningful influence) because it only had 8.5% of the vote in the EU Council (which is wrong anyway). Therefore, by the same logic, Germany has no influence in the EU even though many Euroskeptics say that it has complete control over it.

Shame to see that going over your head.

Anyways, how exactly is the EU stamping out diversity?

Dunno what nightmares you've been having but people being united together (or ''marching together'' as you put it) isn't the stuff of mine.
Actually upon further investigation it appears that voting in the EU Council no longer uses weighted voting.

So the UK does not have only 8.5% of the vote in the EU Council. It would have around 13%, though weights are no longer used, which reflects it's percentage of the total EU population.

Ho, ho. 13% is not influence either. But the actual voting formula is given in The Consolidated Treaties https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228848/7310.pdf

The voting system is QMV which is not strictly proportionate. There are 345 votes in total. The UK has 29, which is 8.5% of the total.

This is the distribution of votes:
Belgium 12Bulgaria 10Czech 12Denmark 7Germany 29Estonia 4Ireland 7Greece 12Spain 27France 29Italy 29Cyprus 4Latvia 4Lithuania 7Luxembourg 4Hungary 12Malta 3Netherlands 13Austria 10Poland 27Portugal 12Romania 14Slovenia 4Slovakia 7Finland 7Sweden 10United Kingdom 29

Anyways, how exactly is the EU stamping out diversity?.

The Treaties put it more subtly as "removing barriers". It is obvious to anyone that the EU is getting homogenized - I went on holidays in the EU with my family most years and there is less and less difference between the countries. This was, after all, the intention of the EU, Jean Monnet and Count Coudenhove-Kalergi wanted a United States of Europe, not a lot of countries simply trading with each other like the EEC.

That is the difference between the EEC and the EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by finndnhaynes
Multiculturalism isn't an ambition of a single party, its how society has naturally evolved for the better.

You keep calling it an experiment but that's not what it is. Can you give me an example when any political leader called multiculturalism an "experiment"? Just because you're a mature student doesn't mean that you can't be a racist idiot.

You say this yet you haven't proved me wrong.

Why hasn't Japan or South Korea been encouraged to adopt a multicultural approach? Japan have a strong economy and have fought the ageing population problem with technology. Instead of immigrants, why can't the natives be encouraged to breed like in Israel where the average birth rate is 3.5 despite the extremely high GDP that usually creates an ageing population.

The average birth rate of Muslim couples is also much higher than the indigenous populations, so doing the maths, a couple of generations later and the Europeans are bred out of their own homelands. When you look at Marseilles, Malmo, Birmingham and Brussels it is clear that only ghettos have been created as many Muslims refuse to assimilate into western society.

Former French prime minister Nicolas Sarkozy said that the goal of the EU is to promote miscegenation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yaiN6ew_g

Cultural marxism that promotes multiculturalism is leading to Europe's suicide. Our ancestors fought for centuries to keep the Muslims out of Europe and our politicians are building them a yellow brick road to walk through now.

No doubt the Muslim apologist moderators on this site will remove this comment.
Original post by Willdono

Former French prime minister Nicolas Sarkozy said that the goal of the EU is to promote miscegenation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yaiN6ew_g

I actually quite like the way the UK has a lot of varied people who are coming together more and more as we abandon multiculturalism. I had a great laugh with the Polish guy at Lidl's just now.

That said, Willdono has a point about using migration and mixing to undermine Nationalist sentiment, as the UN representative on migration put it:

"The EU should "do its best to undermine" the "homogeneity" of its member states."

Like it or not, the governing classes will use migration as a weapon if it suits them.

However, after Brexit our migrants are going to become defiantly British like the best of us. London is now majority migrant and Londoners would be daft to trust the EU in 10 years time, after a decade of migration - leave the right wing backlash in the EU and the British can live their tolerant lives.

(Do readers realise that the Nazi's got a huge boost from popular feeling against the Jewish refugees from the Russian pogroms in the 1920s? The Jewish refugees were good as gold compared with the current migrants. If I were from a migrant family I would stick with Britain and the British and not risk the EU).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Not really. They can only leave if it is decided by the UK Government. If the SNP call another independence referendum in 2020. It will not happen.

Because it has been called already 1 year ago in the most favourable circumstances possible and a Welsh referendum carries the support of something like 5% of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although I think we will end up leaving, I think we should stay. The EU was set up after the first and second world wars to unite European countries and encourage peace, and there hasn't been a world war since. The complaints of how much money we waste on the EU will be NOTHING compared to the amount of money (and lives) that we would lose in the event of another world war. Particularly now, when relationships between countries are unstable, turning our back on the EU, the thing that has kept peace and unity within Europe for the last 50+ years is only going to increase the likelihood of world war 3.
No you dont, Lichtenstein is not part of free movement. Free movement of people is a separate agreement that several EFTA countries has agreed with the EU..

You mean the same Liechtenstein that is being brought before Court for not ensuring the Free Movement of people by discriminating against EU workers?

They do have Free movement. They have some exceptions because they are a country of 35,000 people.

Don't lie and pretend that the UK will get the same.
Original post by serebro
So you feel that the EU should force people to vote in the elections? Doesn't sound very democratic. Political apathy isn't the organisation fault, the candidate range is similar to the general election (which doesn't get a universal turnout).

The Eurozone is a separate branch and has very little direct UK involvement, it makes sense for Euro-related agreements to be made between countries that actually use it. "Most deals" are a huge exaggeration by the way, please revisit that. The EU is one huge reason why the UK can secure free trade deals with the outside world.

It is the organisations fault so few people feel it worth their time to vote in their elections as we have very little say.

The euro area certainly does affect the uk as it has a lot more clout in the eu parliament.

As for your trade with the outside world point I did LOL

If the fifth largest economy in the world with the second largest trading centre can't get more favourable trading deals which are TAILORED to suit it's needs rather than a generic eu one then the person negotiating the deal needs to be shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stay. If we left we'd be like Norway and other countries which also end up having to follow EU rules due to the fact they are our main neighbours and trading partners, but without getting a say in them. Only unlike Norway we don't have loads of oil to make us filthy rich.

I don't think the EU is perfect but the idea we're going to dance into a world of trade deals seems to be extremely ambitious. Why would anybody make favourable trade deals with us after we've lost the benefits of being in the EU and have shown ourselves to be flakey partners in deals? We'd have no deals and end up having to sell our souls signing TTIP etc.!
Reply 75
Remain, why cant we all just be friends. and look at the unifying force within us all?... sex
I will vote to stay in the EU.

I love how unbiased the OP is. :wink:

And why does "leave" have an exclamation mark but "remain" does not? UKIP-style there :wink:
Reply 77
Whats perfectly clear is that the UK will be economically better off inside this free trade area. We are safe, let us not isolate ourselves. One thing is absolutely essential though, let us reform the EU to regain control of our borders, and regain our sovereignty. If we don't get this, friends we must leave the EU!
Original post by seaholme
Stay. If we left we'd be like Norway and other countries which also end up having to follow EU rules due to the fact they are our main neighbours and trading partners, but without getting a say in them. Only unlike Norway we don't have loads of oil to make us filthy rich.

I don't think the EU is perfect but the idea we're going to dance into a world of trade deals seems to be extremely ambitious. Why would anybody make favourable trade deals with us after we've lost the benefits of being in the EU and have shown ourselves to be flakey partners in deals? We'd have no deals and end up having to sell our souls signing TTIP etc.!

Bad choice of example we are 12 times larger than Norway, we have plenty of oil (not that it makes a difference in our large economy) and Norways politicians did a deal with the eu without the mandate of the voters to abide by the rules and contribute to the budget without a say as they are staunchly pro eu.

Their people however are not and every poll over there shows the vast majority of Norwegians don't want to join the European Union even with their current deal.

Oh and ttip is an eu deal if we leave it has sod all to do with us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IBIB
Whats perfectly clear is that the UK will be economically better off inside this free trade area. We are safe, let us not isolate ourselves. One thing is absolutely essential though, let us reform the EU to regain control of our borders, and regain our sovereignty. If we don't get this, friends we must leave the EU!

We won't do that it requires treaty change which has been flatly refused and it is one of the 6 founding principals of the eu.

You're message is basically that of the wait and see what is negotiated group of people who will do one of two things.

1. Believe the spin that they got something from the talks

2. See that the talks gained nothing meaningful (which they won't) and join the leave group.

Also it's very debatable that we are better off financially being in. Very debatable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply