The Student Room Group

Should the UK bomb ISIS in SYRIA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sw651
Firstly, you did not used it to say the media only show the bad sides, you attempted to use it to show they 'aren't all that bad'.

Your ignorance to the fact demonstrates my media point.

Secondly, the SYRIAN observatory of human rights, Daesh basically rum Syria right now, besides President Assad is hardly know for being honest.

Can I just say that if you do not believe in the integrity of the SOHR, then we are all screwed because most of the information coming out from Syria (IS and Assad massacres) can all be traced back to the SOHR?

The UN have reported that Daesh in its first few months killed 24,000 with another 11,275 Daesh fighters dead too. That is 35,275 in its first few months. Aka. TEN TIMES the amount the metro reported

And have the UN, who probably got the information from SOHR, reported the 400,000 figure that you claimed?
I honestly think if everybody knew what Cameron was actually doing, they'd say yes.

All he's proposing is to "bomb Syria" essentially aiming for ISIS members.

But what they're actually doing is 100x safer, better planned out etc. But he has a rubbish way of showing it. Average people in this world don't understand how good intelligence firms are. The UK definitely has a couple fake members of ISIS giving us intel. We know positions of recruitment centres, hideouts etc. And the main mission objective is literally as little civilian casualties as possible. Everytime they go to drop a bomb, they know exactly what they're doing and aiming for. The only decision they're making behind closed doors is the value of a civilian life against and ISIS member. Is it worth wiping out 20 odd innocent syrian people to take out a whole crew of ISIS members? Well, that's not our choice, but they aren't just bombing random streets in Syria and I can assure you of that.

Most people opposing it don't know too much about war in general to be honest. Most wars are 100x more tactical than the wars we study in school. That's because the wars we study in school are the ones with the biggest significance - i.e the most civilian casualties. You only have to look back to the well known WW2, where Germany literally were just bombing citizens of countries. They aimed for a few big places, but mainly they just wanted to kill. Our operation in Syria is so so different. Cameron is a human, and although I usually disagree with his opinions, we have to do something to lower the power of ISIS. Reduce their income, reduce facilities, reduce members. Then go in and turn as many people against them as possible. We will never get rid of terrorism, and it's stupid to think we will, but ISIS are evidently one of the biggest threats to us in years, so we have to do something.

And incase you haven't noticed, you can't reason with extremists. So sometimes you have to take it to another level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651
You basically turned to me and said that they weren't that bad and the media was misrepresenting the :facepalm:

You presented a very biased view of IS, in which you ignored the reasons why people, within Syria, would rather fight Assad than IS.

This includes the rebel factions who IS have been targeting.

If an enemy that you are killing are coming up to you and saying that we hate you killing us but there's this guy that is far worse than you and we want to go after him, I think we should listen.

One sided and ill informed views, like yours, is what has got us in this mess.
Reply 83
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Your ignorance to the fact demonstrates my media point.

Can I just say that if you do not believe in the integrity of the SOHR, then we are all screwed because most of the information coming out from Syria (IS and Assad massacres) can all be traced back to the SOHR?

And have the UN, who probably got the information from SOHR, reported the 400,000 figure that you claimed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hang on but the UN didn't report the 3500 you stated. Stop trying the hide the fact that you messed up by attacking my points. Your argument is unsubstantiated and baseless. I am more inclined to believe the UN than SOHR.

And actually, you used a METRO article to demonstrate your point means that you are using media to argue your point! So who is believing the media now?
Original post by sw651
Hang on but the UN didn't report the 3500 you stated. Stop trying the hide the fact that you messed up by attacking my points. Your argument is unsubstantiated and baseless. I am more inclined to believe the UN than SOHR.

I have presented my evidence for 3500, of whom ~500 were IS personnel themselves.

Where is your evidence for the UN figures? Do you have a link? Anything we can use to confirm the numbers you are talking about?

And actually, you used a METRO article to demonstrate your point means that you are using media to argue your point! So who is believing the media now?

That was an article that simply listed a source, as most news article do.

Given your insistence, I have found the source.
Reply 85
I have presented my evidence for 3500, of whom ~500 were IS personnel themselves.

Where is your evidence for the UN figures? Do you have a link? Anything we can use to confirm the numbers you are talking about?

That was an article that simply listed a source, as most news article do.

Given your insistence, I have found the source.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is going to be fun.
I don't think you have read the article yourself, that figure is only for EXECUTIONS, ISIS have killed a lot more through mass shootings and terrorist acts and regards to a source I have an aljazeera article www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/02/isil-abuses-iraq-amount-genocide-150224060400831.html

This is from official UN figures for 2014 (first 8 months) alone. Bearing in mind ISIL have been around since the 2000s and they killed over 300,000 in the civil war. And you seem to forget that they are Iraq as well, not just Syria.
The issue was about the number of deaths. Whether it was justified or not is another question altogether.

No. You are trying to play down the crimes of ISIS. I am putting them in context.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

This is going to be fun.
I don't think you have read the article yourself, that figure is only for EXECUTIONS, ISIS have killed a lot more through mass shootings and terrorist acts and regards to a source I have an aljazeera article www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/02/isil-abuses-iraq-amount-genocide-150224060400831.html

That is really the lowest of the low. I point you towards 3500 people killed by IS in Syria and you come back with figures for Iraq which includes all civilians killed, regardless of which side they belong to or who perpetrated the killing.

This is from official UN figures for 2014 (first 8 months) alone. Bearing in mind ISIL have been around since the 2000s and they killed over 300,000 in the civil war. And you seem to forget that they are Iraq as well, not just Syria.

Oh please, this is ridiculous smearing (not that the IS name can go lower) and is a despicable twisting of words and facts (well, they seem to be more your opinion).

As much as I want IS to be wiped out, I will not be party to a gross distortion of the figures, for you to justify, in your own mind really, as to why you want to wipe out IS.
Original post by DorianGrayism
No. You are trying to play down the crimes of ISIS. I am putting them in context.

IS have committed crimes, I don't disagree but where you have people claiming that they have caused 400,000 deaths in order to justify their perverted view that IS should be wiped out, I simply decided to add a little bit of perspective.

After all, if it's only a numbers game that we are concerned about, then my putting it into perspective is a valid argument.

We have people like sw651 who are stubbornly providing misinformation, in spite of the evidence and basing their case for IS on a numbers game. Ridiculous.
Reply 89
That is really the lowest of the low. I point you towards 3500 people killed by IS in Syria and you come back with figures for Iraq which includes all civilians killed, regardless of which side they belong to or who perpetrated the killing.

Oh please, this is ridiculous smearing (not that the IS name can go lower) and is a despicable twisting of words and facts (well, they seem to be more your opinion).

As much as I want IS to be wiped out, I will not be party to a gross distortion of the figures, for you to justify, in your own mind really, as to why you want to wipe out IS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are incapable of accepting that you have been proved wrong. I have proved you incorrect multiple times and you simply cannot accept it. Shameless. I am starting to wonder if you have pro ISIS tendencies, seeming as you are so intent on defending them.

THESE ARE OFFICIAL UN FIGURES FOR GODS SAKE WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?
Original post by sw651
You are incapable of accepting that you have been proved wrong. I have proved you incorrect multiple times and you simply cannot accept it. Shameless. I am starting to wonder if you have pro ISIS tendencies, seeming as you are so intent on defending them.

THESE ARE OFFICIAL UN FIGURES FOR GODS SAKE WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Please don't shout. I understand this is an emotional topic but it is not becoming in a discussion.

I have clearly, on multiple occasions, pointed out to you that your 400,000 figure, supposedly the amount of civilians that have been killed by IS, in Syria, is fundamentally flawed.

I don't know where you get your information but clearly, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

You mention the UN figures for Iraq, but we are talking about Syria. Furthermore, had we also included Iraq, the civilian figures would have included those whom IS have killed, and those whom non-IS have killed.

As it stands, you have no argument, nor any reliable source or statistic on the number of people that IS have killed as non-combatants, within Syria.

I gave you a source that put the figure around 3500 (including ~500 of their own) since July 2014 (over a period of 16 months) and you refuse to accept that because it doesn't fit in with whatever warped or twisted opinions you have used to reconcile yourself to the destruction of IS, and within this, the impending destruction and implosion of Syria.
Reply 91
IS have committed crimes, I don't disagree but where you have people claiming that they have caused 400,000 deaths in order to justify their perverted view that IS should be wiped out, I simply decided to add a little bit of perspective.

After all, if it's only a numbers game that we are concerned about, then my putting it into perspective is a valid argument.

We have people like sw651 who are stubbornly providing misinformation, in spite of the evidence and basing their case for IS on a numbers game. Ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please educate yourself before you go around making silly statements and rubbish arguments. I have consistently form apart your argument and you are too stubborn to accept you are right.
Original post by sw651
Please educate yourself before you go around making silly statements and rubbish arguments. I have consistently form apart your argument and you are too stubborn to accept you are right.

I thank you for your kind words and concur wholeheartedly with you there, my friend.

Does pointing out the irony present in the previous sentence make me a prick, in addition to being stubborn when I'm right?
Reply 93
Please don't shout. I understand this is an emotional topic but it is not becoming in a discussion.

I have clearly, on multiple occasions, pointed out to you that your 400,000 figure, supposedly the amount of civilians that have been killed by IS, in Syria, is fundamentally flawed.

I don't know where you get your information but clearly, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

You mention the UN figures for Iraq, but we are talking about Syria. Furthermore, had we also included Iraq, the civilian figures would have included those whom IS have killed, and those whom non-IS have killed.

As it stands, you have no argument, nor any reliable source or statistic on the number of people that IS have killed as non-combatants, within Syria.

I gave you a source that put the figure around 3500 (including ~500 of their own) since July 2014 (over a period of 16 months) and you refuse to accept that because it doesn't fit in with whatever warped or twisted opinions you have used to reconcile yourself to the destruction of IS, and within this, the impending destruction and implosion of Syria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually we were talking about IS in general, and you still haven't got the point that your figures are only execution figures, read your article again.
Original post by sw651
Actually we were talking about IS in general, and you still haven't got the point that your figures are only execution figures, read your article again.

Yes, "execution figures" because in Syria, they can only kill in places where they exercise control.

But if you have evidence to the contrary or further information, I would be willing to take a look at it.
Reply 95
Yes, "execution figures" because in Syria, they can only kill in places where they exercise control.

But if you have evidence to the contrary or further information, I would be willing to take a look at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, as a student of English I cannot make this any clearer, you have misread the article. The article states that this is the number of people executed by ISIS, execution is the act of killing someone for an alleged crime, they also commit mass murder, the figures you have given cannot be given as evidence for the OVERALL number of people that have died under ISIS acts.
Look 3500 or 400,000 it is still barbaric and we cannot negotiate, we have to bomb.
Original post by sw651
Okay, as a student of English I cannot make this any clearer, you have misread the article. The article states that this is the number of people executed by ISIS, execution is the act of killing someone for an alleged crime, they also commit mass murder, the figures you have given cannot be given as evidence for the OVERALL number of people that have died under ISIS acts.
Look 3500 or 400,000 it is still barbaric and we cannot negotiate, we have to bomb.

As a student of "English", you used the acronym "Da'esh" previously to refer to IS. Why did you do this?

I realize that it doesn't correspond to your pre-conceived views about IS being a nasty group when you find out that they have killed only 3500 (~500 of their own) but the figures clearly state how many civilians they have executed.

The figure of 3500 includes the mass murder of civilians in Syria. It includes the genocides and atrocities within Syria over the last 16 months.

That may be difficult to believe but IS needs people more than it needs territory. What's the point in committing massacres against people when you need them to raise taxes to fund your activities?
Reply 97
As a student of "English", you used the acronym "Da'esh" previously to refer to IS. Why did you do this?

I realize that it doesn't correspond to your pre-conceived views about IS being a nasty group when you find out that they have killed only 3500 (~500 of their own) but the figures clearly state how many civilians they have executed.

The figure of 3500 includes the mass murder of civilians in Syria. It includes the genocides and atrocities within Syria over the last 16 months.

That may be difficult to believe but IS needs people more than it needs territory. What's the point in committing massacres against people when you need them to raise taxes to fund your activities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Daesh and IS are the same thing, Daesh is the Arabic name in English phonetics.

And clearly you support them, I get that now, so I will leave you as I don't want to associate with IS sympathisers
Original post by sw651
Daesh and IS are the same thing, Daesh is the Arabic name in English phonetics.

No, it's simply an acronym.

And clearly you support them, I get that now, so I will leave you as I don't want to associate with IS sympathisers

I am disputing your claim that IS have killed 400,000 people in Syria. A claim, which you attributed to the UN but the report that you linked only mentioned 11,000 and that were civilian deaths in Iraq and also included non-IS perpetrated deaths.

If you want to have a serious and honest discussion, then let's have one but to base your case for bombing Syria on a mythical and unsubstantiated "dead 400,000 by IS" is ludicrous to say the least.

Like your comrade in arms, David Cameron, your argument has been found wanting,
Original post by KimKallstrom
Go on........

everyone will know finally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending