The Student Room Group

has anybody done this

A in gcse maths to A*A* maths & further maths
Hi.
In my opinion it is very unlikely for someone to achieve that. For the college I go to, you need an A* in gcse maths in order to do further maths. If you are prepared to kill yourself for 2 years you could potentially achieve A* in maths and further maths..
Reply 2
It's not impossible, but would need to spend a LOT of time on your maths.
Yeah its not impossible, but will also depend on how hard you tried at gcse. If you've just turned up on the day and got an A with work you might be able to do really well at A-level, if getting the A took loads of revision you'll probably struggle to get an A* in both. Either way it's going to take a lot of effort on your part.
Original post by Luke.Wilson
Hi.
In my opinion it is very unlikely for someone to achieve that. For the college I go to, you need an A* in gcse maths in order to do further maths. If you are prepared to kill yourself for 2 years you could potentially achieve A* in maths and further maths..

Original post by cmfunk
It's not impossible, but would need to spend a LOT of time on your maths.

What's the hard part here, working your way up from the GCSE A to 2 A-Level A*s, or just getting two A-Level A*s on those subjects period?
I'm currently doing A level maths, there are people in my group who are on track for a B/C at AS with an A" at GCSE, and there are GCSE B grade students who are excelling. GCSE Maths is a doddle, however at A level your input is your output, the key to stellar maths grades is simply to practice everything, and to get used to every topic with confidence.
Reply 6
Original post by Hashim123
What's the hard part here, working your way up from the GCSE A to 2 A-Level A*s, or just getting two A-Level A*s on those subjects period?

Considering A* in GCSE Maths isn't particularly hard....
Original post by cmfunk
Considering A* in GCSE Maths isn't particularly hard....

...Which could still make it either of those.
I have just done my AS level. I have seen a lot of people got who got an A* in gcse maths ended up getting an A in AS maths alevel and A/B in AS further maths. Other people I know who got an A in gcse maths did not get an A in AS maths, however for them they did do their gcse maths in year 10. To do well in your maths alevel you need to be very strong in your gcse maths, especially on trigonometry and graphs. You must ensure you can do hard gcse questions or you will struggle to progress further. Just to add, people who got an A* in maths gcse will still find it very hard to achieve an A* in further maths. Getting an A* in maths is normally not a problem for people doing further maths, an A* in further maths is very challenging as you need to get atleast 90 ums in FP2/3 and one applied module. I can not fully give my opinion on FP2/3 as I have not covered the whole module yet.

Quick Reply

Latest