The Student Room Group

Should I quit university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drkn335
I am not on a holiday abroad. I mentioned it before, I live with my family. I'm not renting out some place. And I have some money in the bank saved.

You have already changed your mind once from thinking originally that Cambridge was for you. Who is to say that in 10yrs time circumstances don't change again and you find yourself in a position needing that degree?

You mentioned having only 2 years left of your degree, or around 60 weeks study in total? That is such a short amount of time to give up for what you get in return, regardless if you never have to use it.
It's your life, of course. We respect that.

The danger is that you are living exclusively in the present, that you assume you will like the place and new family forever, that you will not feel you want to do something else with a career later. We are talking about keeping potential avenues open, ones that you may see only if you return to finish your degree. Indeed, you may be able to return to your current home with renewed confidence in your choice.

I wish you the best of luck.
Do you think that, in the future, you will not regret for not finishing your degree? Just curious
Original post by Katty3
If you change your mind, you'll be able to go to university again.

Student Finance is the decider of that in most cases. :tongue:
Original post by drkn335
What I am doing now is living with my family abroad. A new family. I don't want to reveal too much of my personal life, but basically back in England I am family-less and have spent the past 12 years alone. I entered Cambridge thinking it would bring me a brand new life with great opportunities in the future, thinking this is what would make me happy. I have learned that a high paid job isn't what I want. I don't care what job I work and I don't have any desires or aspirations. What I really want is to be happy, surrounded by my family and friends, living a simple happy life. I was searching for something I had never had, thinking that somehow a life of prestige would be the answer, and now having lived both lives I realise it isn't. In that sense cambridge no longer fufils the role I gave to it when I was studying A level to get in.

Original post by alcibiade
It's your life, of course. We respect that.

The danger is that you are living exclusively in the present, that you assume you will like the place and new family forever, that you will not feel you want to do something else with a career later. We are talking about keeping potential avenues open, ones that you may see only if you return to finish your degree. Indeed, you may be able to return to your current home with renewed confidence in your choice.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bit late to this thread I know, but I'm with alcibiade on this one.

Happiness is not eternal; it is not immutable. What you love today may not be the same as what you love 2, 5, 10, 20 years from now. And even 20 years from now, you won't have even lived half your life yet.

People saying 'it isn't worth it to jeopardise your happiness for a piece of paper' are perilously close to giving advice of the nature of 'if watching TV all day makes you happier than doing homework, go for it' or indeed 'if eating McDonald's for every meal is what makes you happy, who cares about potential health repercussions 30 years down the line?'. Now your situation is slightly different in that there is no obvious direct negative outcome related to living abroad; however, you do give up an insurance policy on your life that makes it robust to changes in fortune, circumstances, and desires. For that reason, I would advise completing the degree - as long as you don't hate it. Wise people do not act impulsively but do so rationally, and often this calls for delayed gratification.
Just an addition, you mentioned that you have money in the bank, I dont need to know how big your savings are but imagine if they ran out because of an event that is unexpected? You need a back up plan, I must say. Just an opinion though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending