The Student Room Group

Should I quit university?

I am a second year student at cambridge taking a year out of study. I applied to Cambridge thinking it would bring me eternal happiness and give me solutions to everything in life. I was wrong. Now I have found a new lifestyle that makes me the happiest I have ever been - abroad. I now have everything I've ever wanted and always missed out on in life. I want to stay here and I don't want to go back to England or finish my studies particularly, am perfectly happy here.

But, it's Cambridge. A once in a lifetime chance. I don't know if I should force myself back and to finish another 2 years just for the fact that it's a high status, a high achievement. I don't really care about it that much but because it's Cambridge I think: Maybe I SHOULD do it for that reason. Should I think about what I should do or just do what makes me happy?

My heart wants me to stay here abroad and honestly I don't know what my head wants.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by drkn335
I am a second year student at cambridge taking a year out of study. I applied to Cambridge thinking it would bring me eternal happiness and give me solutions to everything in life. I was wrong. Now I have found a new lifestyle that makes me the happiest I have ever been - abroad. I now have everything I've ever wanted and always missed out on in life. I want to stay here and I don't want to go back to England or finish my studies particularly, am perfectly happy here.

But, it's Cambridge. A once in a lifetime chance. I don't know if I should force myself back and to finish another 2 years just for the fact that it's a high status, a high achievement. I don't really care about it that much but because it's Cambridge I think: Maybe I SHOULD do it for that reason. Should I think about what I should do or just do what makes me happy?

My heart wants me to stay here abroad and honestly I don't know what my head wants.

If you are happy, stay where you are. There is no point destroying that for a piece of paper.

If you change your mind, you'll be able to go to university again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do whatever makes you happy, a piece of paper is not worth jeopardising your happiness for no matter how prestigious the instituition is, stay there it seems like your really enjoying it and if you do change your mind the university route will always be open for you
(edited 8 years ago)
There's more to life than prestige.
Such as happiness.
Reply 4
Original post by drkn335

But, it's Cambridge. A once in a lifetime chance.

You can always re-apply as a mature student - or not. Eitherway, stay happy :smile:
This is a parent speaking. My advice is to think of our future and go back to finish. The life you like abroad will still be there, but if you finish your degree you will have better opportunities, i.e. the chance to find meaningful work at a far better rate of pay. It is not just a prestigious piece of paper - with a Cam degree you get a network and a qualification of work habits and expertise (implied or otherwise). Look at it like a long-term investment.

The exception would be if you hate Cam and feel it is truly not for you, that you made a fundamental mistake in your choice of course, etc. It sounds like it just didn't meet your expectations, which may have been inflated. Also, you may feel differently once you're back, with new perspective.
Reply 6
Original post by drkn335

Its pretty difficult to know without understanding what you are doing now and what aspects of Cambridge/University you expected to bring joy that didn't.

The first question is whether what you are doing now is sustainable and will bring long term pleasure.
If you are doing typical gap year type low wage jobs in the tourist industry then you may find eventually the lifestyle pales when you realise you can never earn enough to live where you want to, perhaps buy a house or support a family. A job with no intellectual challenge may be a welcome respite from A levels but eventually the lack of responsibility and answering to a boss you feel is less competent than you are can become a drag.
If on the other hand you have found a career which uses your talents and where a degree adds little value which could be anything from running your own business to an artistic or IT field then it may well be a wise choice.

The second would be why did you think Cambridge (or anything) would bring "eternal happiness". Was it that you would please your school or parents to have achieved the offer. Was it that you thought you wanted a highly competitive career but didn't expect it to be such hard work. Or was it that you loved your subject and really wanted to continue to study for three years but decided that was no longer true?

Either way sometimes it is best to go away, live a bit, grow up a bit and sometimes re-enter the world of study when you have a clear ambition and need. As others have said you can always reapply as a mature student and if Cambridge were prepared to take you first time, I'm sure you will get into a perfectly respectably university second time.
Reply 7
Original post by alcibiade
This is a parent speaking. My advice is to think of our future and go back to finish. The life you like abroad will still be there, but if you finish your degree you will have better opportunities, i.e. the chance to find meaningful work at a far better rate of pay. It is not just a prestigious piece of paper - with a Cam degree you get a network and a qualification of work habits and expertise (implied or otherwise). Look at it like a long-term investment.

The exception would be if you hate Cam and feel it is truly not for you, that you made a fundamental mistake in your choice of course, etc. It sounds like it just didn't meet your expectations, which may have been inflated. Also, you may feel differently once you're back, with new perspective.

Thank you for your input. As for this though, I don't care whatsoever about having a high or well paying job. Where I am living now abroad with my family is a very small village, somewhere I plan to always live even if I finish my degree and therefore a place where my cambridge degree would never ever get used. The jobs here predominantely don't require any degree and none of my family here have degrees and they are all very happy and all have jobs and can support themselves and their children.
Reply 8
Original post by Colmans
Its pretty difficult to know without understanding what you are doing now and what aspects of Cambridge/University you expected to bring joy that didn't.

The first question is whether what you are doing now is sustainable and will bring long term pleasure.
If you are doing typical gap year type low wage jobs in the tourist industry then you may find eventually the lifestyle pales when you realise you can never earn enough to live where you want to, perhaps buy a house or support a family. A job with no intellectual challenge may be a welcome respite from A levels but eventually the lack of responsibility and answering to a boss you feel is less competent than you are can become a drag.
If on the other hand you have found a career which uses your talents and where a degree adds little value which could be anything from running your own business to an artistic or IT field then it may well be a wise choice.

The second would be why did you think Cambridge (or anything) would bring "eternal happiness". Was it that you would please your school or parents to have achieved the offer. Was it that you thought you wanted a highly competitive career but didn't expect it to be such hard work. Or was it that you loved your subject and really wanted to continue to study for three years but decided that was no longer true?

Either way sometimes it is best to go away, live a bit, grow up a bit and sometimes re-enter the world of study when you have a clear ambition and need. As others have said you can always reapply as a mature student and if Cambridge were prepared to take you first time, I'm sure you will get into a perfectly respectably university second time.

What I am doing now is living with my family abroad. A new family. I don't want to reveal too much of my personal life, but basically back in England I am family-less and have spent the past 12 years alone. I entered Cambridge thinking it would bring me a brand new life with great opportunities in the future, thinking this is what would make me happy. I have learned that a high paid job isn't what I want. I don't care what job I work and I don't have any desires or aspirations. What I really want is to be happy, surrounded by my family and friends, living a simple happy life. I was searching for something I had never had, thinking that somehow a life of prestige would be the answer, and now having lived both lives I realise it isn't. In that sense cambridge no longer fufils the role I gave to it when I was studying A level to get in.
Reply 9
Having heard mostly the full story now, what would you both say to this?
Mcdoanlds is hiring.
Reply 11
Original post by drkn335

Don't return to uni. You are obviously very happy where you are. It is simply not worth destroying that for the sake of a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by drkn335
What I am doing now is living with my family abroad. A new family. I don't want to reveal too much of my personal life, but basically back in England I am family-less and have spent the past 12 years alone. I entered Cambridge thinking it would bring me a brand new life with great opportunities in the future, thinking this is what would make me happy. I have learned that a high paid job isn't what I want. I don't care what job I work and I don't have any desires or aspirations. What I really want is to be happy, surrounded by my family and friends, living a simple happy life. I was searching for something I had never had, thinking that somehow a life of prestige would be the answer, and now having lived both lives I realise it isn't. In that sense cambridge no longer fufils the role I gave to it when I was studying A level to get in.

Only you can figure out what to do with your life, and it sounds like you have done so.

I hope the grass remains green for you.

Good luck.
Stay where you are if you like it and see if you still like it a year od two down the line. If not you can always go back to Cambridge or another uni or do whatever else you want. You can always go back to education if things dont work out. However just out of curiosity, what kind of job do you imagine yourself doing in a tiny village for the rest of your life? Not to sound patronizing or anything but unless you have connections or a family business that you can work in or something, giving up Cambridge to work in retail or something would be silly even if you dont want a high flying career.
Reply 14
Original post by driftawaay
Stay where you are if you like it and see if you still like it a year od two down the line. If not you can always go back to Cambridge or another uni or do whatever else you want. You can always go back to education if things dont work out. However just out of curiosity, what kind of job do you imagine yourself doing in a tiny village for the rest of your life? Not to sound patronizing or anything but unless you have connections or a family business that you can work in or something, giving up Cambridge to work in retail or something would be silly even if you dont want a high flying career.

I would be working in the small city 40 minutes away from the village like everyone else in my family. There are many jobs there and yes they might all be something simple like retail, telephone work, store work etc. because thats all the place offers since its small and not well known. But I am more than happy with this. I don't see how it is silly to give up a degree if you dont want a high flying career and are happy to work in retail. At the end of the day having money or a good job isn't going to bring happiness or replace something else. I'd rather spend every second of my life here and reflect on the beautiful family and happy memories ive had then to think oh well at least i graduated and got some money. You don't need a degree to work many jobs so whats the problem. Thats how I think anyway
Reply 15
What were you reading at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drkn335

I would say that you have answered your own question.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
What were you reading at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

PBS at first, transferring to bio natsci.
Reply 18
You need money to continue to go on holidays abroad. You need a job to get money. So I recommend you go back to school and finish the degree. Blunt, but you know it makes sense.

Best wishes :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Pride
You need money to continue to go on holidays abroad. You need a job to get money. So I recommend you go back to school and finish the degree. Blunt, but you know it makes sense.

Best wishes :smile:

I am not on a holiday abroad. I mentioned it before, I live with my family. I'm not renting out some place. And I have some money in the bank saved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending