The Student Room Group

University choices - help?

Hi everyone,

I've sent my UCAS application on 21st October, since then I received 3 offers and, honestly, I don't know which university is better for the degree I pretend (Biological Sciences). My choices where based in the course structure and ranking of the uni.

So I chose:
Durham (offer)
Imperial (no offer yet)
UCL (offer)
Southampton (offer)
Notthingham (no offer yet)

Also, I don't have much hope to receive an offer from Imperial since they're giving offers to other students for about a week (students that applied later than me). I'm an international student btw.

So, can you guys help me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I've sent my UCAS application on 21st October, since then I received 3 offers and, honestly, I don't know which university is better for the degree I pretend (Biological Sciences). My choices where based in the course structure and ranking of the uni.

So I choose:
Durham (offer)
Imperial (no offer yet)
UCL (offer)
Southampton (offer)

Also, I don't have much hope to receive an offer from Imperial since they're giving offers to other students for about a week (students that applied later than me). I'm an international student btw.

Just because others have an offer doesn't mean you'll be rejected. There is no order in which they work through applications. It can differ between dates or departments.

That said, well done on your Durham offer, it's supposedly a great university. :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi everyone,

So I choose:
Durham (offer)
Imperial (no offer yet)
UCL (offer)
Southampton (offer)

Start with the Unistats website
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

- you can compare each of your five choices for the specific subject you want to study.

The factors compared include typical entry qualifications of those studying the subject, degree outcomes, career outcomes, student satisfaction on a range of measures, etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Where do you want to live for the next 3 years? Have you looked at the modules of the unis? Not all will offer the same ones.
Original post by OU Student
Where do you want to live for the next 3 years? Have you looked at the modules of the unis? Not all will offer the same ones.

I don't have anywhere specific.
Yes, I've looked into that. I didn't chose oxbridge because of the degree structure, they just seemed too strict (physics, mathematics, ... and the uni in general tbh) for such a passionate course. My favourite was the Imperial one.

I guess I'll have too wait for a good offer... Durham's offer was a little bit rough, almost impossible for a Portugal student.

Questions:
For instance, in Portugal we use a scale of 0/20 for grades. Durham's offer is, let's say, 19 overall if I end up with 18,9 I will not be accepted by any chance?

Can you guys tell me the equivalent of an A and A* in a 0/100 scale?
(edited 8 years ago)
Look at the modules available - not just for the first year, but second and third also - does one course stand out as being better suited to your interests? You might also consider the way each course is examined (how much coursework or exams) and how much contact time you will have with lecturers. See university.which.co.uk

Is saving money important to you? Accommodation costs are likely to be much higher in London than elsewhere. Imperial and UCL are probably the most internationally respected, but I think Durham is also very good.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't have anywhere specific.
Yes, I've looked into that. I didn't choose oxbridge because of the degree structure, they just seemed too strict (physics, mathematics, ... and the uni in general tbh) for such a passionate course. My favourite was the Imperial one.

I guess I'll have too wait for a good offer... Durham's offer was a little bit rough, almost impossible for a Portugal student.

Questions:
For instance, in Portugal we use a scale of 0/20 for grades. Durham's offer is, let's say, 19 overall if I end up with 18,9 I will not be accepted by any chance?

Can you guys tell me the equivalent of an A and A* in a 0/100 scale?

A is 80% plus A* 90% plus. Durham will almost certainly reject you if you don't reach the offer as will Imperial and probably UCL. All your choices are very different. Imperial and more so UCL are in the heart of London which is an extremely hectic city where accommodation costs are extremely high. Durham is a very small city and doesn't have anywhere near the hectic nature of London. Obviously being a small city Durham doesn't have the shopping or nightlife of your other choices but the university has arguably the best sports facilities in the UK. You need to decide where you prefer. Another factor is Durham is a lot colder than down south and coming from Portugal it is something you may need to think about. Most of the colleges in Durham are catered whereas elsewhere it is usually the reverse.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
A is 80% plus A* 90% plus. Durham will almost certainly reject you if you don't reach the offer as will Imperial and probably UCL. All your choices are very different. Imperial and more so UCL are in the heart of London which is an extremely hectic city where accommodation costs are extremely high. Durham is a very small city and doesn't have anywhere near the hectic nature of London. Obviously being a small city Durham doesn't have the shopping or nightlife of your other choices but the university has arguably the best sports facilities in the UK. You need to decide where you prefer. Another factor is Durham is a lot colder than down south and coming from Portugal it is something you may need to think about. Most of the colleges in Durham are catered whereas elsewhere it is usually the reverse.

Doing an unfair comparison Durham's offer is 95% in every subject (...). My first choice has always been Imperial but since Durham's offer was so high I don't know what to expect anymore.

I'm going to the UK to work hard. I think it's a challenge I need to get through and that it will add a lot to my personal life. I was expecting to work part-time while studying at uni, is it possible? A friend of mine said it was hard but with dedication (to my course, work and personal life) it's viable.

Man... I have a lot of research to do
Doing an unfair comparison Durham's offer is 95% in every subject (...). My first choice has always been Imperial but since Durham's offer was so high I don't know what to expect anymore.

I'm going to the UK to work hard. I think it's a challenge I need to get through and that it will add a lot to my personal life. I was expecting to work part-time while studying at uni, is it possible? A friend of mine said it was hard but with dedication (to my course, work and personal life) it's viable.

Man... I have a lot of research to do

even though the A* grade is 90%+ Durham expect higher and ask for UMS marks and expects extremely high marks as will the others. Many people do work part time but your number of hours would be limited. You would probably find part-time work easier to find in London than in Durham as there are multiples of restaurants and shops there
(edited 5 years ago)
even though the A* grade is 90%+ Durham expect higher and ask for UMS marks and expects extremely high marks as will the others. Many people do work part time but your number of hours would be limited. You would probably find part-time work easier to find in London than in Durham as there are multiples of restaurants and shops there

Thought so. What about Southampton? I chose it because I've heard they have a new life sciences building and that it has a nice environment.
Thought so. What about Southampton? I chose it because I've heard they have a new life sciences building and that it has a nice environment.

I don't know much about it as I never really been there. It has a good reputation and is a naval city but obviously doesn't have a reputation as good as Imperial UCL or Durham. Those 3 are amongst the tops other than Oxbridge are hugely competitive and unlikely to give any leeway. That unfortunately is the expectation if you apply there. Nottingham also has a really good reputation but not as difficult to get into as the other 3
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't know much about it as I never really been there. It has a good reputation and is a naval city but obviously doesn't have a reputation as good as Imperial UCL or Durham. Those 3 are amongst the tops other than Oxbridge are hugely competitive and unlikely to give any leeway. That unfortunately is the expectation if you apply there. Nottingham also has a really good reputation but not as difficult to get into as the other 3

I'm sure I can enter UCL tho. btw, do you think that UCL, Imperial and Durham have a nice study environment or they are just as strict as oxbridge? I just want a uni where the competition and pressure doesn't kill my passion for biology (I've heard some mad stories).
I'm sure I can enter UCL tho. btw, do you think that UCL, Imperial and Durham have a nice study environment or they are just as strict as oxbridge? I just want a uni where the competition and pressure doesn't kill my passion for biology (I've heard some mad stories).

I don't know much about that but I cannot see them being any different. Durham is often second choice for Oxbridge applicants and I would expect the same from the other 2 who are both highly rated internationally
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't know much about that but I cannot see them being any different. Durham is often second choice for Oxbridge applicants and I would expect the same from the other 2 who are both highly rated internationally

Hm, ok.
Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending