The Student Room Group

Do you recommend Medicine at University?

I achieved 8A's and 1A* in GCSE. I am predicted A's for A level. I just wanted to know whether I should become a doctor or not. I have always wanted to become one, since I was 5. I am passionate about helping people and my favourite subject is Biology. However, I don't know if I'm good enough for it. And I'm not the best at Chemistry either. Does studying medicine at Uni involve a lot of chemistry?I mean, I understand that the requirement for medical schools is an A in Chemistry but does further study in the course include chemistry? Or is it mainly biology? Looking forward to hearing replies :-) Please help. Thanks.
Original post by Rhea7777
I achieved 8A's and 1A* in GCSE. I am predicted A's for A level. I just wanted to know whether I should become a doctor or not. I have always wanted to become one, since I was 5. I am passionate about helping people and my favourite subject is Biology. However, I don't know if I'm good enough for it. And I'm not the best at Chemistry either. Does studying medicine at Uni involve a lot of chemistry?I mean, I understand that the requirement for medical schools is an A in Chemistry but does further study in the course include chemistry? Or is it mainly biology? Looking forward to hearing replies :-) Please help. Thanks.

You should do medicine if you want to do it - the number of years you've wanted to do it isn't as important as having a realistic idea of what it actually involves by doing work experience and having a complete idea about what the job involves. Your GCSEs are also fine.

Medical school involves next to no chemistry - the A level requirement is antiquated and stupid. Don't let it put you off.
Medicine is king.

The sciences are garbage.
You have to really consider what parts of biology you actually enjoy. If it's the physiology and anatomy then maybe medicine is for you, but if it is the animal, plant and ecology stuff then Biology may be more suitable.
One of my friend said reading medicine is like reading 'Master of Biology, Bachelor of Statistics'.
Do you want to be a doctor or not?
Original post by Little Toy Gun
One of my friend said reading medicine is like reading 'Master of Biology, Bachelor of Statistics'.

Maybe they spent too much time "reading" and not enough time doing :wink:
Reply 7
I'm terrible at Chemsitry and I'm at Medical school :P I always struggled with chemistry

Tbh yes there is chemistry involved, but it's mainly drug interactions etc which are actually quite interesting. I just need to spend quite a lot of time on that stuff, but it's mainly biology!
Original post by Democracy
Maybe they spent too much time "reading" and not enough time doing :wink:

Well he said that before he entered clinical years.
Reply 9
Thanks for your reply! It was really helpful and encouraging. Are you studying medicine? If so, what difficulties have you found so far such as exams, stress, accommodation?

Original post by Democracy
You should do medicine if you want to do it - the number of years you've wanted to do it isn't as important as having a realistic idea of what it actually involves by doing work experience and having a complete idea about what the job involves. Your GCSEs are also fine.

Medical school involves next to no chemistry - the A level requirement is antiquated and stupid. Don't let it put you off.
Reply 10
I enjoyed learning about the anatomy and cell cycle. I'm not a huge fan of plants. :-) thanks for your reply

Original post by CantonHero
You have to really consider what parts of biology you actually enjoy. If it's the physiology and anatomy then maybe medicine is for you, but if it is the animal, plant and ecology stuff then Biology may be more suitable.
Reply 11
Haha thanks :-) We've just started learning about organic chemistry in more detail. That's interesting but I find I need to practice loads before I can enjoy it. Thanks for your reply.

Original post by hollyt93
I'm terrible at Chemsitry and I'm at Medical school :P I always struggled with chemistry

Tbh yes there is chemistry involved, but it's mainly drug interactions etc which are actually quite interesting. I just need to spend quite a lot of time on that stuff, but it's mainly biology!

Quick Reply