The Student Room Group

C1 Mixed Exercise 6H

Not particularly strong on this topic. Struggling on an easy question, don't know how I'm meant to go about solving it:

The rth term in a sequence is (r+3)(r-4). Find the value of r for the term that has the value 78

Don't really know how to start it other than putting in the 78. Can anyone shed some light on how I'm supposed to do this. Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
Original post by GingerJ
Not particularly strong on this topic. Struggling on an easy question, don't know how I'm meant to go about solving it:

The rth term in a sequence is (r+3)(r-4). Find the value of r for the term that has the value 78

Don't really know how to start it other than putting in the 78. Can anyone shed some light on how I'm supposed to do this. Thanks for any help.

expand and factorize
or
inspection(trial and error if you leave it as it is)
Reply 2
Original post by GingerJ

The nth term of a sequence e.g. 2n+1, gives you the term of the sequence in the nth position.

So the first term is 2 x 1 + 1 etc.

So if the rth term (same concept as nth term) is (r+3)(r-4) then e.g. the 2nd term will be

(2+3)(2-4) = -10

This is -10 not 78. Which term will be 78?

You could use trial and error. Or set up and equation and solve it.
Reply 3
(r+3)(r-4) = 78
so simply :
r^2 -r -12 = 78
r^2 -r - 90 = 0 [ rearranging]
r^2 + 10r - 9r - 90 = 0 [simple factorising]
r(r+10)-9(r+10) = 0 [factorising]
(r-9)(r+10) = 0 [creating brakets]
so r = 9 or r = -10 [finding r]

I think this is how you are supposed to do it ...
Reply 4
Original post by Josef314
(r+3)(r-4) = 78

STUFF

I think this is how you are supposed to do it ...

Please don't post full solutions - it's against the rules of the forum :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Please don't post full solutions - it's against the rules of the forum :smile:

Oh, alright my bad didn't know !

Quick Reply

Latest