The Student Room Group

Is 37 references too many for 2200 word essay?

I am not able to post this on study help as my SR app keeps on closing itself down when I try! So if anybody who is a moderator could move this into Sociology Study Help that would be fine :-)

If somebody could answer me here, that would be fab! I am worried as I have used many references, some are newspaper articles, peer-reviewed journal articles and ebooks.

Paula
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by socialscience92
I am not able to post this on university help as my SR app keeps on closing itself down when I try! So if anybody who is a moderator could move this into Sociology Study Help that would be fine :-)

If somebody could answer me here, that would be fab! I am worried as I have used many references, some are newspaper articles, peer-reviewed journal articles and ebooks.

Paula
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never studied Sociology however - but so long as your references are relevant to your argument and support your points I don't see how you could have too many :h:
It is obviously different from course to course and uni to uni, but I often get 30-40 in a 1750 word essay, so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As above - as long as they're reputable and/or relevant sources, there's no such thing as "too many references"!
I think it's fine. It shows that you thoroughly researched and did your reading for the assignment - which will get you more marks.
Sounds fine, but don't include any rogue references from sources that you don't specifically cite.
I think it's a bit suspect, with all due respect. If you had to refer to 37 writers/documents etc, within a mere 2200 word essay, was there any part of it at all that reflected your own thoughts? There is no value in an essay that is purely descriptive and just repeats what others are saying without allowing your own voice to come through, even if it is just to critically assess existing literature. It's a balance that needs to be struck, and it sounds to me that with 37 references you either have an argument that is too broad/unclear and/or you are not putting forward a view of your own.
Original post by Yellow 03
I think it's a bit suspect, with all due respect. If you had to refer to 37 writers/documents etc, within a mere 2200 word essay, was there any part of it at all that reflected your own thoughts? There is no value in an essay that is purely descriptive and just repeats what others are saying without allowing your own voice to come through, even if it is just to critically assess existing literature. It's a balance that needs to be struck, and it sounds to me that with 37 references you either have an argument that is too broad/unclear and/or you are not putting forward a view of your own.

Well, you're assuming that the OP is just mentioning the sources, rather than offering a critical analysis. I don't see the evidence on which you base your assumption.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Well, you're assuming that the OP is just mentioning the sources, rather than offering a critical analysis. I don't see the evidence on which you base your assumption.

I'm basing my assumption on the number of words that the essay consists of. It's hard to see how you can offer a critical analysis of 37 references within 2200 words.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Sounds fine, but don't include any rogue references from sources that you don't specifically cite.

I'll be honest I sometimes added in a book or two I hadn't read. Never got pulled up on it :colondollar:

Yeh i'm inclined to agree with this. For a 2500 word essay i'd usually only have a dozen sources and of these usually only 5 would go into any real depth, the rest would just be the odd quote. It obviously depends on the course but for mine (History), if your essay was purely descriptive the best you could hope for was a low 2.1. I'd always use the first half of a paragraph for my quotes and the rest was where i'd fit in my own views. That's where the top end marks are. Too many short quotes completely kills an argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
On my course, for that many words that would be too many. But it varies per course, and I'm doing a pure science as opposed to a social science.

I agree.
So long as they match and fit in with what your saying. Its fine infact its even better because it shows the marker you have done wider research which is part of your learning outcome !
Original post by redleader1
So long as they match and fit in with what your saying. Its fine infact its even better because it shows the marker you have done wider research which is part of your learning outcome !

Really depends on your course, and to some extent the person marking it. In some cases it is quite the opposite of better and is not thought of as good.
As long as they are relevant and you haven't over used them. For example, if you were quoting constantly and used 37 references I would say this isn't good as you have just copied out the work of 37 different people. But, if you have used them well e.g. to aide your argument and you haven't just quoted them constantly but rather paraphrased and been critical and analytical then it won't harm your mark and will show very good evidence of wider reading and research.
If you have so many references, it implies a lack of critical discussion in relation to those references. It might fly for Bradford Uni or something, but at others it should be avoided.
Reply 16
It's too much, try to reduce to 25 references. I would think you try to hide your lack of understanding of the question under many references.
Reply 17
It can be eady to confuse reference stuffing (using as many references as possible for the sake of looking smart) with the appropiate use of multiple sources. An example:

"Source A says xyz about the essay subject, which is contradicted by Source B. If the papers by Source C and D are considered, Source B's conclusion is the most likely in the context of the current question." (Continue by explaining why, potentially drawing in more sources)

4 references in 2 sentences/38 words. All references are appropriate to the essay question, demonstrating critical analysis and an understanding of the sources used. Allowing about two hundred and fifty words each for the Intro and Conclusion, that easily leaves room for 30+ entirely appropriate sources if you read widely enough and have the capacity to assimilate and correctly use the resulting breadth/depth of information.

A large number of references cannot be automatically assumed to indicate a lack of knowledge or critical/analytical capacity. Bear in mind also that there may be distinct differences between styles of work for Humanities and STEM subjects, where the latter tends to prefer much more concise written work. I was always encouraged by lecturers to read as widely as possible around coursework and to demonstrate that reading/understanding through the appropriate use of sources. All I can say is that it worked well for me (BA & MA).

Of course the Gold Standard reply is that, when in doubt, you should ask the person who has set the assignment as you work.
Some of the answers here are bizarre! Too many references means you aren't critically analysing? Eh?

Original post by Klix88
It can be eady to confuse reference stuffing (using as many references as possible for the sake of looking smart) with the appropiate use of multiple sources. An example:

"Source A says xyz about the essay subject, which is contradicted by Source B. If the papers by Source C and D are considered, Source B's conclusion is the most likely in the context of the current question." (Continue by explaining why, potentially drawing in more sources)

4 references in 2 sentences/38 words. All references are appropriate to the essay question, demonstrating critical analysis and an understanding of the sources used. Allowing about two hundred and fifty words each for the Intro and Conclusion, that easily leaves room for 30+ entirely appropriate sources if you read widely enough and have the capacity to assimilate and correctly use the resulting breadth/depth of information.

This is good advice. Look at a typical peer-reviewed paper. You may have a hundred or more references in a couple of thousand words. Puddles is right that there is no such thing as too many references, as long as they are relevant.
Original post by socialscience92
I am not able to post this on study help as my SR app keeps on closing itself down when I try! So if anybody who is a moderator could move this into Sociology Study Help that would be fine :-)

Paula
Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems a bit much to me. In my 1500 word essay, I had all of 7 references. Like someone mentioned, it seems like you didnt really contribute your own ideas if you used so many references

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending