The Student Room Group

The hard limits thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atsruser
Right. That's how I did it in fact. None of these are very tricky though (apart from Lord of the Flies' submission which is, as expected *too* tricky).

:smile: Haven't had a proper look at that one yet. Going to do the others (non-A-Level) before I try it.
I had thought of approaching this by considering an iterated limit, but if we write:

f(k,n)=1ek(1+k1!+k22!++knn!)f(k,n) = \dfrac{1}{e^k}\left(1+\dfrac{k}{1!}+\dfrac{k^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{k^n}{n!}\right)

we seem to have:

limklimnf(k,n)=1\displaystyle \lim_{k \to \infty} \lim_{n \to \infty} f(k,n) =1

limnlimkf(k,n)=0\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \lim_{k \to \infty} f(k,n) =0

so I'm not sure if we can gather anything from that.

Using a different approach, I have managed to get as far as being able to say that the limit is somewhere between 0 and 1 but so far having some trouble getting the exact number. Also I'm probably doing it the "terribly boring" way.

Might LaTeX it up in a bit and go from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
This is a neat one; there is a quick, beautiful way of evaluating it - and also a terribly boring one.

1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)  ?\dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right)\to\; ?

en=k=0nkk!\displaystyle e^n = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} , so

1+n1!+n22!++nnn!=k=0nkk!k=n+1nkk!\displaystyle 1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

=enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = e^n - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

So limn1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)=limn1en(enk=n+1nkk!)\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \left( e^n - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} \right)

=limn1limn1enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 1 - \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

=1limn1enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = 1 - \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} .

All that's left is to evaluate that second limit now but it's clear that it, and hence the original limit, is between 0 and 1. Initial thoughts on evaluating it are to bound it above and below by expressions that tend to the same limit as nn \rightarrow \infty that are easier to find and then use Squeeze Theorem.

Will return to this later (I should go do my actual work :hide: ). This is most definitely the boring way.. ah well. :sad:
(edited 8 years ago)
By considering

2nsin(x2n) \displaystyle 2^n \sin \left(\frac{x}{2^n}\right)

show that

sinxx=1cos(x2i) \displaystyle \frac{\sin x}{x} = \prod_{1}^{\infty} \cos \left(\frac{x}{2^i}\right)

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by Gregorius
By considering

2nsin(x2n) \displaystyle 2^n \sin \left(\frac{x}{2^n}\right)

show that

sinxx=1cos(x2i) \displaystyle \frac{\sin x}{x} = \prod_{1}^{\infty} \cos \left(\frac{x}{2^i}\right)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Neat! I should have added:

Hence deduce that

2π=12×12(1+12)×12(1+12(1+12))× \displaystyle \frac{2}{\pi} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} \times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\right)} \times \ldots
Neat! I should have added:

Hence deduce that

2π=12×12(1+12)×12(1+12(1+12))× \displaystyle \frac{2}{\pi} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} \times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\right)} \times \ldots

cos(x2k)=12×sin(x2k1)sin(x2k)[br]k=1ncos(x2k)=sin(x)2nsin(x2n)=sin(x)x×x2nsin(x2n)sin(x)x[br] \displaystyle cos \left( \frac{x}{2^k} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{sin \left( \frac{x}{2^{k-1}} \right)}{sin \left( \frac{x}{2^k} \right)}[br]\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^n cos \left( \frac{x}{2^k} \right) = \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{2^n sin \left( \frac{x}{2^{n}} \right)} = \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{x} \times \frac{\frac{x}{2^n}}{sin \left( \frac{x}{2^n} \right)} \rightarrow \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{x}[br]
x=π22π=12×12(1+12)×12(1+12(1+12))×\displaystyle x = \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow \frac{2}{\pi} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} \times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\times \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left(1+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)}\right)} \times \ldots
Because cos(x2)=cos(x)+12\displaystyle cos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) = \sqrt{\frac{cos(x)+1}{2}}
(edited 8 years ago)

A level students only

a) Show that if limxcf(x)=limxcg(x)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow c} g(x) = 0, then we can have any of the following results:

1. limxcf(x)g(x)=a,aR\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = a, a \in \mathbb{R}

2. limxcf(x)g(x)=\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \infty

3. limxcf(x)g(x)=\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = -\infty

b) What is the significance of this result when evaluating limxcf(x)g(x)\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} where f(x),g(x)f(x), g(x) behave as described above?

For 1, let f(x)=a(xc),g(x)=(xc)f(x) = a(x-c), g(x) = (x-c)
For 2, let f(x)=(xc)2,g(x)=(xc)4f(x) = (x-c)^2, g(x) = (x-c)^4
For 3, let f(x)=(xc)2,g(x)=(xc)4f(x) = -(x-c)^2, g(x) = (x-c)^4

For (b), this obviously implies that we can't deduce from the behaviour of f(x)f(x) and g(x)g(x) in the limit how their fraction will behave.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Star-girl
en=k=0nkk!\displaystyle e^n = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} , so

1+n1!+n22!++nnn!=k=0nkk!k=n+1nkk!\displaystyle 1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

=enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = e^n - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

So limn1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)=limn1en(enk=n+1nkk!)\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \left( e^n - \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} \right)

=limn1limn1enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 1 - \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!}

=1limn1enk=n+1nkk!\displaystyle = 1 - \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{e^n} \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty } \dfrac{n^k}{k!} .

All that's left is to evaluate that second limit now but it's clear that it, and hence the original limit, is between 0 and 1. Initial thoughts on evaluating it are to bound it above and below by expressions that tend to the same limit as nn \rightarrow \infty that are easier to find and then use Squeeze Theorem.

Will return to this later (I should go do my actual work :hide: ). This is most definitely the boring way.. ah well. :sad:
Rather than try to estimate the "error sum" directly, I think if you start from the Lagrange Remainder form of Taylor's theorem you'll get something more tractable. (I think you will still need to use Stirling's estimate for n! to finish it, so it may not be what the OP had in mind).
Original post by DFranklin
Rather than try to estimate the "error sum" directly, I think if you start from the Lagrange Remainder form of Taylor's theorem you'll get something more tractable. (I think you will still need to use Stirling's estimate for n! to finish it, so it may not be what the OP had in mind).

Thanks! :biggrin: I'll have a go at this later with your suggestions. :cute:
I'll do it tomorrow - I've had an awful headache all day so haven't got round to it yet. I don't know many hard series though - I'm more interested in seeing other people's examples.

Looks like it's already been made... :K:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61014269&highlight=hard%20sums
Reply 31
Neat!

In retrospect, I think I'd clean up the limit step a bit:

limx2nsinx2n=limxxsinx2nx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} 2^n \sin \frac{x}{2^n} = \lim_{x \to \infty} x \frac{\sin \frac{x}{2^n}}{\frac{x}{2^n}}

which requires less hand waving.

I should have added:

Hence deduce that

This is very nice but I think that it's pretty straightforward to get this from your original result - which is itself very nice.

Got any more like it?
Reply 32

That's fine by me, though I would have called it the "hard series" thread - "hard sums" sounds a little too much like what your 8 year old does as homework.

This is very nice but I think that it's pretty straightforward to get this from your original result - which is itself very nice.

Got any more like it?

Ah that's a classic, called Viete's formula, dating from 1593. They don't make 'em like that any more...
That's fine by me, though I would have called it the "hard series" thread - "hard sums" sounds a little too much like what your 8 year old does as homework.

Yes. Series sounds much better.
1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)  ?\dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right)\to\; ?

If anyone is interested, here is the neat solution I had in mind:

Spoiler

Original post by Lord of the Flies
If anyone is interested, here is the neat solution I had in mind:

Spoiler

Stats... :getmecoat: Very slick but I have a bit of an aversion to Statistics, so I wouldn't have even thought of that. :ashamed:
Reply 37
Roughly STEP level:

Find limx1xx11xx1\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} x^{\frac{x^\frac{1}{1-x}}{x-1}}
Reply 38
Roughly STEP level:

Find limx1xx11xx1\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} x^{\frac{x^\frac{1}{1-x}}{x-1}}
Let x=1+1yx = 1+\frac{1}{y} then
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \ell = \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{ y \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{-y} } = \lim_{y \to \infty} \left{ \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^y \right}^{{\dfrac{1}{ \displaystyle \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{y} \right)^{y}} }} = e^{1/e}.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kummer
Let x=1+1yx = 1+\frac{1}{y} then =limy(1+1y)(1+1y)y=limy(1+1y)1limy(1+1y)y=e1/e.\displaystyle \ell = \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{- \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{-y} } = \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{- \dfrac{1}{ \displaystyle \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{y} \right)^{y}} } = e^{-1/e}.

Deserves a rep just for the latex skills...

Quick Reply

Latest