The Student Room Group

The hard limits thread

This is meant to be an analogue of the "hard integrals" thread. Feel free to post any kind of limit problem at A level and above.

If you are an A level student, feel free to ask any question re: limits or solutions to limit problems.

Here's an easy starter:

A level students only

a) Show that if limxcf(x)=limxcg(x)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow c} g(x) = 0, then we can have any of the following results:

1. limxcf(x)g(x)=a,aR\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = a, a \in \mathbb{R}

2. limxcf(x)g(x)=\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \infty

3. limxcf(x)g(x)=\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = -\infty

b) What is the significance of this result when evaluating limxcf(x)g(x)\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} where f(x),g(x)f(x), g(x) behave as described above?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A level students only

Find limx0x+aax\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{x+a}-\sqrt{a}}{x} with a>0a > 0 without appealing to L'Hopital's Theorem.
Reply 2
Find limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}} for nNn \in \mathbb{N}
I thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely.
This is a neat one; there is a quick, beautiful way of evaluating it - and also a terribly boring one.

1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)  ?\dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right)\to\; ?
Original post by atsruser
Find limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}} for nNn \in \mathbb{N}

limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}} for nNn \in \mathbb{N}

Let y=xny=x^n, so we write limyy2+yy\displaystyle \lim_{y \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{y^2 +y}-y

Multiplying top and bottom by 1/y gives 1+1y11y\dfrac{ \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{y}}-1 }{\frac{1}{y} }. Let z=1yz=\frac{1}{y} , so the limit becomes limz01+z1z\displaystyle\lim_{z\to 0}\dfrac{ \sqrt{1+z}-1}{z}.

This is just the derivative of 1+z\sqrt{1+z} evaluated at 0. So the limit is 12\frac{1}{2}.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FireGarden
limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}} for nNn \in \mathbb{N}

Let y=xny=x^n, so we write limyy2+yy\displaystyle \lim_{y \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{y^2 +y}-y

Multiplying top and bottom by 1/y gives 11y11y\dfrac{ \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{y}}-1 }{\frac{1}{y} }. Let z=1yz=\frac{1}{y} , so the limit becomes limz01z1z\displaystyle\lim_{z\to 0}\dfrac{ \sqrt{1-z}-1}{z}.

This is just the derivative of 1z\sqrt{1-z} evaluated at 0. So the limit is 12-\frac{1}{2}.

I think you went wrong when manipulating the y expression:

y2+yy=y2(1+1y)y=y(1+1y1)=1+1y11/y\sqrt{y^2+y}-y = \sqrt{y^2(1+\frac{1}{y})}-y = y(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{y}}-1)=\frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{y}}-1}{1/y}
I think you went wrong when manipulating the y expression:

y2+yy=y2(1+1y)y=y(1+1y1)=1+1y11/y\sqrt{y^2+y}-y = \sqrt{y^2(1+\frac{1}{y})}-y = y(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{y}}-1)=\frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{y}}-1}{1/y}

Oh dear - I wrote the question down wrong. I guess my final answer also has a sign error, then. Shall edit..
Reply 8
Oh dear - I wrote the question down wrong. I guess my final answer also has a sign error, then. Shall edit..

It does. Correct apart from that though. And a nice way to introduce a derivative too.
Reply 9
Original post by Lord of the Flies
This is a neat one; there is a quick, beautiful way of evaluating it - and also a terribly boring one.

1en(1+n1!+n22!++nnn!)  ?\dfrac{1}{e^n}\left(1+\dfrac{n}{1!}+\dfrac{n^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{n^n}{n!}\right)\to\; ?

I had thought of approaching this by considering an iterated limit, but if we write:

f(k,n)=1ek(1+k1!+k22!++knn!)f(k,n) = \dfrac{1}{e^k}\left(1+\dfrac{k}{1!}+\dfrac{k^2}{2!}+\cdots+ \dfrac{k^n}{n!}\right)

we seem to have:

limklimnf(k,n)=1\displaystyle \lim_{k \to \infty} \lim_{n \to \infty} f(k,n) =1

limnlimkf(k,n)=0\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \lim_{k \to \infty} f(k,n) =0

so I'm not sure if we can gather anything from that.
Reply 10
Find limxx1/x\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} x^{1/x}
Make sure you don't go too far with this kind of stuff ... because then you'll have gone past the limit :wink:
Find limxx1/x\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} x^{1/x}

Use the chain rule for limits.

Let u=1xu = \dfrac{1}{x}

and now observe that

limx1x=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{x} = 0

Hence

limxx1/x=limu0(1uu)=1\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^{1/x} = \lim_{u \rightarrow 0} \left(\dfrac{1}{u^u}\right) = 1
(edited 8 years ago)
:ahee:

Where's the hard sums thread? :eyeball:

Here's a different method that is good at dealing with differences of square roots appearing in limits in general:

You can rearrange the expression using the difference of two squares formula:

a2b2=(a+b)(ab)ab=a2b2a+b\displaystyle a^2-b^2 = (a+b)(a-b) \Rightarrow a-b = \dfrac{a^2-b^2}{a+b} .

Letting a=x2n+xn\displaystyle a=\sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n} and b=x2n(=xn)b=\sqrt{x^{2n} } \left( = x^n \right), we get:

limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}}

=limxx2n+xnx2nx2n+xn+x2n\displaystyle = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{x^{2n} +x^n-x^{2n} }{ \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}+\sqrt{x^{2n}}}

=limx1x2n+xnx2n+1\displaystyle = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{ \sqrt{\dfrac{x^{2n} +x^n}{x^{2n} }} +1}

=limx11+1xn+1\displaystyle = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{ \sqrt{1+\dfrac{1}{x^n} } +1}

=11+0+1=12\displaystyle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+0} +1} = \dfrac{1}{2} .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Star-girl
:ahee:

Where's the hard sums thread? :eyeball:

Not a bad idea.

Feel free to create a thread for that too! :biggrin:
Original post by Indeterminate
Not a bad idea.

Feel free to create a thread for that too! :biggrin:

It was atsruser's idea, so I'd feel bad hijacking it. :colondollar:
Reply 17
It was atsruser's idea, so I'd feel bad hijacking it. :colondollar:

I'll do it tomorrow - I've had an awful headache all day so haven't got round to it yet. I don't know many hard series though - I'm more interested in seeing other people's examples.
I'll do it tomorrow - I've had an awful headache all day so haven't got round to it yet. I don't know many hard series though - I'm more interested in seeing other people's examples.

Dw - no rush (I was just teasing a little). Take your time and get better soon. :console:

Same. More interested in solving/trying to solve the problems instead of providing them.
Reply 19
Here's a different method that is good at dealing with differences of square roots appearing in limits in general:

You can rearrange the expression using the difference of two squares formula:

a2b2=(a+b)(ab)ab=a2b2a+b\displaystyle a^2-b^2 = (a+b)(a-b) \Rightarrow a-b = \dfrac{a^2-b^2}{a+b} .

Letting a=x2n+xn\displaystyle a=\sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n} and b=x2n(=xn)b=\sqrt{x^{2n} } \left( = x^n \right), we get:

limxx2n+xnx2n\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}-\sqrt{x^{2n}}

=limxx2n+xnx2nx2n+xn+x2n\displaystyle = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{x^{2n} +x^n-x^{2n} }{ \sqrt{x^{2n} +x^n}+\sqrt{x^{2n}}}

Right. That's how I did it in fact. None of these are very tricky though (apart from Lord of the Flies' submission which is, as expected *too* tricky).

Quick Reply

Latest