The Student Room Group

Psychology MSc Conversion Course with 2:2

Hi everyone!

So I have a BSc from an american university now applying for a psychology conversion course in London (EU Citizen).

I have a 2:2 from my BSc, do I still have a chance to get in to a psychology MSc conversion course? What schools are realistic? What else do I need to think about? (I have extensive work experience in healthcare industry)

Many thanks for your help!

Best,
icarrus
I think you do have a decent chance at getting onto a BPS conversion course, but be aware that if you were wanting to go onto one of the chartered psychology routes (as many conversion students do) your 2:2 would potentially be a massive stumbling block. These routes are really competitive and almost everyone going for them will have extensive experience and good grades. In my field (Clinical) many courses will not accept a 2:2 as part of their selection criteria.

That's not to say don't do it, but be aware of this if that is part of a plan.
Reply 2
Original post by Lord Asriel
I think you do have a decent chance at getting onto a BPS conversion course, but be aware that if you were wanting to go onto one of the chartered psychology routes (as many conversion students do) your 2:2 would potentially be a massive stumbling block. These routes are really competitive and almost everyone going for them will have extensive experience and good grades. In my field (Clinical) many courses will not accept a 2:2 as part of their selection criteria.

That's not to say don't do it, but be aware of this if that is part of a plan.

Thanks for the respone!

So one of the schools I have been accepted to so far is London Met. How are my chances for continuing on to a chartered psychology route after the conversion course?
The Leeds Beckett online course gave me an offer with a 2:2.
Reply 4
*bump
Original post by icarrus
Thanks for the respone!

So one of the schools I have been accepted to so far is London Met. How are my chances for continuing on to a chartered psychology route after the conversion course?

It depends on which route you want to go down.

As Lord Asriel says, the clinical route is very, very dificult to get on to with a 2:2, the majority of courses have a 2:1 as a minimum criteria. However not all of them do, Lancaster does not look at your application form and administers a selection test instead, so you'd be just as eligible as anyone else.

Other area's of Psychology (Counselling, Educational, Occupational and such) I am not 100% on, though I imagine that 2:1 is seen as a minimum criteria - though please do check out the various training courses to find out. However, a 2:2 will always put you at a disadvantage which will have to be made up through experience and the ability to reflect on that.

Forensic Psychology is a little different, though slowly changing. You can become chartered with just an MSc (you then need 2 years supervised practice following that, which can be a nightmare to get, so be very careful about pursuing this route - personally I gave up on it). There are doctorate programmes for Forensic and I suspect this will increasingly become the norm for those seeking chartership (you'll be in the same boat regarding the doctorate, but always check individual courses). You should be able to get onto the Teeside MSc with a 2:2, I know someone who just graduated it this year - check other uni's. The forensic route, via the MSc can be long and expensive though.

Outside of pure Psychology there are Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners who work for IAPT (improving access to psychological therapies) who provide a range of CBT based interventions for adults across the UK (or England/Wales, I'm not sure). You complete a one-year uni course after which you are trained, you can then go on to do further training to move on to high-intensity therapy and is a solid alternative career.

There are also CBT and counselling accreditations. The CBT courses are similar to the ones completed for the high-intensity for IAPT, I know nothing about their intake, requirements or job prospects. Same again for counselling - just make sure you do a proper, accredited course and not some flakey evening course.

As always, I've typed most of this from my own knowledge/quick googling so please don't take it as 100% accurate and always do your own research :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi All!

It seems to be between Middlesex, UEL and Greenwich. What are your thoughts of these schools?

Many thanks!
Reply 7
*bump

Quick Reply

Latest