The Student Room Group

I dropped out of Oxford, Ask me anything

As it says!

Scroll to see replies

What subject?
Reply 3
How far into the programme were you?
Was your college supportive?

When I got there, I couldn't describe it, but I no longer felt like me anymore. I felt like I was watching over myself, and like I was on autopilot. I don't know what contributed to that feeling- maybe extreme anxiety? Although I didn't feel anxious, maybe that was the manifestation. I dropped out with the assurance that I could return the following year, but never went back...
Original post by OU Student
What subject?

Geography
Original post by Lemur12
How far into the programme were you?
Was your college supportive?

First term First year- so not very far in. My college was hugely supportive and guaranteed my place to come back the following year.
What were your A Levels like?
Original post by ew296
As it says!

What have you done since and what's next for you?
What are you doing now - instead of studying?
Do you have any plans to go back to uni?
Original post by joey4live
What have you done since and what's next for you?

I went to a different University, enjoyed it massively, studied a different subject. I am now trying to get a training contract with a law firm (as well as applying to some other graduate roles incase that falls through).
Reply 12
Awesome Genius is that you?
Original post by Hydeman
What were your A Levels like?

I got 4 As, but before the A* came in. Under A* eligibility criteria my A levels would have been A*A*A*A.

In Geography, the subject I got in for, I got 598/600 UMS
Original post by Protagoras
What are you doing now - instead of studying?

Should have clarified, this was back in 2010. I have since gone back to Uni and completed another degree.
Original post by ew296
I got 4 As, but before the A* came in. Under A* eligibility criteria my A levels would have been A*A*A*A.

In Geography, the subject I got in for, I got 598/600 UMS

Haha, that's pretty impressive. :smile: GCSEs?
You mayb go on to have a successful life but do you ever question what could have been?
Original post by Hydeman
Haha, that's pretty impressive. :smile: GCSEs?

7 A*s and 3 As. As in English Lang, English Lit and History. A*s in 3 Sciences, Maths, Geog, French, RE
Original post by Protagoras
You mayb go on to have a successful life but do you ever question what could have been?

Hmmm well, I think my plan was always to go into law after, get a training contract and do the GDL (conversion course in law).

I have a vacation scheme with a 'Magic Circle' law firm this winter, and have other interviews coming up with other big firms.

I guess I will see how my application turns out and if I'm successful in landing a TC. But, I guess having an Oxford degree might have aided the process, because well, Oxbridge. However, getting a 1st at Oxford is incredibly hard, so I imagine I would have got a 2.1. I ended up getting a pretty exceptional first from the university I did go to, so not sure if that will compensate.
Reply 19
Original post by ew296
When I got there, I couldn't describe it, but I no longer felt like me anymore. I felt like I was watching over myself, and like I was on autopilot. I don't know what contributed to that feeling- maybe extreme anxiety? Although I didn't feel anxious, maybe that was the manifestation. I dropped out with the assurance that I could return the following year, but never went back...

Looking back, would you have done anything different?

Quick Reply

Latest