The Student Room Group

When is it ok to take you child out of school?

As a teachers daughter I know the answer to this but I just want other people's views. I'm sure we can all remember back to primary school when if we were ill our parents had to either ring the school or write a note to say why we hadn't been in school.

A while ago my mother had an issue with a boy who hadn't been to school. It was around this time of year and he was only off for one day. When he returned the following day with his mother, my mum explained to the parent that she needed to provide a note to say that he had been ill and politely asked if he was feeling better, at this the mother looked surprised and said 'Oh, he wasn't ill, he wanted to come Christmas shopping with me'. Now as I'm sure you all know that is not an appropriate reason for missing school, but this parent was totally unaware and was very upset when my mother explained that unless he was ill by law he needed to be in school or she could be subject to truancy fines. Now obviously my mother was not going to report her to the truancy office for a genuine mistake that she assured her wouldn't happen again but I find it really hard to believe that a parent who a)must have gone to school herself therefore knowing the rules about a child not being in school and b)would think that shopping was more important than her child's education (I know i'm exaggerating here because it was only one day, but you get the idea).

Would any of you think its ok to allow your child to miss a day of school for any reason other than being unwell, family funerals/weddings or other events that are completely unavoidable? Were any of you unaware that a child should not miss school to go shopping?
Original post by hippieglitter
As a teachers daughter I know the answer to this but I just want other people's views. I'm sure we can all remember back to primary school when if we were ill our parents had to either ring the school or write a note to say why we hadn't been in school.

A while ago my mother had an issue with a boy who hadn't been to school. It was around this time of year and he was only off for one day. When he returned the following day with his mother, my mum explained to the parent that she needed to provide a note to say that he had been ill and politely asked if he was feeling better, at this the mother looked surprised and said 'Oh, he wasn't ill, he wanted to come Christmas shopping with me'. Now as I'm sure you all know that is not an appropriate reason for missing school, but this parent was totally unaware and was very upset when my mother explained that unless he was ill by law he needed to be in school or she could be subject to truancy fines. Now obviously my mother was not going to report her to the truancy office for a genuine mistake that she assured her wouldn't happen again but I find it really hard to believe that a parent who a)must have gone to school herself therefore knowing the rules about a child not being in school and b)would think that shopping was more important than her child's education (I know i'm exaggerating here because it was only one day, but you get the idea).

Would any of you think its ok to allow your child to miss a day of school for any reason other than being unwell, family funerals/weddings or other events that are completely unavoidable? Were any of you unaware that a child should not miss school to go shopping?

I'm off school today because I'm ill, but whenever me and my younger brother are ill either mum or dad rings school to tell them we won't be in that day. Me and my younger brother have never ever missed school because of Christmas shopping. Fair enough we've missed it for funerals and family issues, but for reasons like that? Never. My kids (well, if I have any) would never be allowed to miss school because of shopping. Fair play to your mum though, she seems like a sensible woman :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like a wind-up to me.

I do know a couple of schools that have INSET days in late November so they can be used for Christmas shopping.
Original post by Muttley79
It sounds like a wind-up to me.

I do know a couple of schools that have INSET days in late November so they can be used for Christmas shopping.

It's not a wind-up this did actually happen to my mum and if the parent knew he should have been in school she would have lied and said he'd been ill.

I've never heard of that, in my experience inset days are almost always at the beginning of term which is why most children start back on a Wednesday rather than Monday.
It's not a wind-up this did actually happen to my mum and if the parent knew he should have been in school she would have lied and said he'd been ill.

I've never heard of that, in my experience inset days are almost always at the beginning of term which is why most children start back on a Wednesday rather than Monday.

We had an inset on the first friday of december in highschool for 'christmas shopping' it was great :smile:
To be fair the laws/ implementation of the laws may have been different when the parent was a child?

I think education is definitely important, but I don't think missing a day every now again again is a big deal. At least not at such a young age (under 10). I think it will also vary by child, some children struggle and take longer to learn things, but others find the content taught at their level too basic and get frustrated. I know I did when I was in primary school, and I just felt like it was a waste of time being there if the content wasn't new, and they'd never give me more advanced stuff or new questions. And I'm by no means a genius.
It's obviously not okay to just take a day off for christmas shopping but I do think that schools put too much pressure on regarding attendance (and I work in one). It makes me quite uncomfortable to be congratulating children for forcing themselves to come to school when they clearly can't focus, are prolonging their illness and probably infecting everyone around them and equally uncomfortable to be guilting people for having time off when they're actually sick. I think sometimes kids need a day off just because they're exhausted or stressed and for a hard working student that probably wont make a huge difference.
Original post by doodle_333
I think sometimes kids need a day off just because they're exhausted or stressed and for a hard working student that probably wont make a huge difference.

They get the weekend off, plus a week off roughly every 6 weeks.
Like you OP I am a teacher's daughter, and my Mum is against all term time absence unless strictly necessary (ill or family death)- she says it makes it so difficult for the teacher when a kid misses something because they can't be helping the child catch up and helping the rest of the class move forward at the same time. One kid missed a controlled assessment once and it took months before my Mum was able to get her to do the work.
Funerals yes, perhaps to visit a relative a distance away who is close to death. Time off for Christmas shopping should be a complete no-no. I think that one way you could reduce the number of such absences, at least at primary level, would be for such absences to mean you are lower in the queue for a secondary school place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending