The Student Room Group

The Waitrose Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
What is the youngest age they'll let you work in waitrose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

16 - I applied for my job when I was 15 and they gave me it but wouldn't let me start until I turned 16
Original post by lucy_123
16 - I applied for my job when I was 15 and they gave me it but wouldn't let me start until I turned 16

So could I do that and reserve it for the summer holidays straight after my GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So could I do that and reserve it for the summer holidays straight after my GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm not sure about that, because I applied in june and turned 16 in july...you're probably best off waiting. you could try emailing them though! when do you turn 16?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lucy_123
i'm not sure about that, because I applied in june and turned 16 in july...you're probably best off waiting. you could try emailing them though! when do you turn 16?

I turn 16 in June lol so I have 6 months to go ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I turn 16 in June lol so I have 6 months to go ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

email them and see what they say :smile:
What is the youngest age they'll let you work in waitrose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 16 and I managed to get an interview there
Ahh!! Just been offered a job after just one interview!!! Thank you so much everyone for your help and support!!
Original post by literaturenerd
Ahh!! Just been offered a job after just one interview!!! Thank you so much everyone for your help and support!!

Congratulations!
Reply 48
So I got a call on Sunday and was offered a job and was told that it would have to go through "resourcing" (HR?), the guy on the phone said he'd speak to them Monday/Tuesday and I'm yet to hear anything further.

How long does it normally take from job offer to first day on the job?
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me whether you are able to easily change department within the same branch? I currently work in the fresh department but would like to move to customer service. Thanks!! ☺️
Original post by BeckieS18
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me whether you are able to easily change department within the same branch? I currently work in the fresh department but would like to move to customer service. Thanks!! ☺️

Like in any walk of life, If you don't ask your not going to get.

Contact your SM and see if it is feasible.
Original post by tyswil24
I recently got offered a contract at Waitrose working on a Sunday. I checked the contract and it doesn't mention anything about increased pay on a Sunday but a lot of people mention it. Is it true that you get paid 1.5 times your regular salary on a Sunday?

The new contracts don't have 1.5x Sunday pay unfortunately.
Hello, I'm interested in working for my local Waitrose at some point. I was wondering a few things :smile:

What are the interview processes and training like?
Is there a particular time of year when more job spots open up?
I've heard it's really difficult to get a job at John Lewis- does this apply to Waitrose too?
Do they like a good set of GCSEs and social-based work experience or does it not matter? Anything else they like to see?
Are they likely to hire you if you're 16 (soon to be 17)?

any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Original post by pommedeterred
Hello, I'm interested in working for my local Waitrose at some point. I was wondering a few things :smile:

I've heard it's really difficult to get a job at John Lewis- does this apply to Waitrose too?
Do they like a good set of GCSEs and social-based work experience or does it not matter? Anything else they like to see?

1. See my post I think on page 2 about interviews. Training is usually for a day when you do all the multimedia training. Then you learn stuff as you go along

2. Around October when Christmas temps are hired. But there are vacancies all through the year. Just check every week.

3. Nope, Would say its no different to any other job.

4. Doesn't matter to be honest as long as you perform in your interview. I knew someone who had 1 GCSE and still got a job at Waitrose. Show your good at interacting with the public and are enthusiastic :smile:

5. If your on checkouts your more likely to be hired if your over 18 but obviously other sections are available. Seen plenty of 16/17 year olds hired.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Congratulations!

Its saying 'rate other members before you rate this member again' so thanks!!!!
Original post by pommedeterred

I'm the youngest at my store ( 16, nearly 17 too ). I don' t think they'll turn you away because of your age ( I think that might be illegal...? ).
Original post by EricAteYou
I'm the youngest at my store ( 16, nearly 17 too ). I don' t think they'll turn you away because of your age ( I think that might be illegal...? ).

Could be illegal but some stores can still do it without people knowing. Some 16 year olds might just think that they weren't good enough ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could be illegal but some stores can still do it without people knowing. Some 16 year olds might just think that they weren't good enough ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't suprise me!
Just got hired at waitrose, was wondering when we get pay? How it works ? My email said my started day was 11th but my actual first day was 13th one day after pays were done ....( someone said that ..) so I wonder when I would get pay and when how many days is on hold ? ( when I worked for shell pay was every last Friday of the month and cut off was week b4 so 7 days on "hold" hope it make sens .....
Original post by Kamila121
Just got hired at waitrose, was wondering when we get pay? How it works ? My email said my started day was 11th but my actual first day was 13th one day after pays were done ....( someone said that ..) so I wonder when I would get pay and when how many days is on hold ? ( when I worked for shell pay was every last Friday of the month and cut off was week b4 so 7 days on "hold" hope it make sens .....

25th or 26th of the Month (December the 23rd). If your'e lucky your bank may also process it one day earlier :smile:

You can find the timecard cut off days on PartnerIntranet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending