The Student Room Group

Cambridge interview - just how formal should i be?

hey all,

I've got a Cambridge interview coming up and was wondering; what should I wear?

at the moment im planning on going in a navy blue suit with tie. But should I also wear a tie pin and cufflinks or not?

Original post by kelefi
hey all,

at the moment im planning on going in a navy blue suit with tie. But should I also wear a tie pin and cufflinks or not?

Wear whatever you're comfortable in - whether that's a suit or casual wear. Obviously you can't turn up in pyjamas (I wish) but it's unlikely that the tutors will be wearing suits. I've got an interview and I was just going to come in casual clothes :smile:
Original post by kelefi
hey all,

Normally I suggest the smartest clothes you would normally wear to school. You mustn't end up looking odd. Only wear a suit if you wear it to school and so feel natural in it. Good jeans and a top would be usual.
Reply 3
A suit is my "normal" attire. but are cufflinks+tie pin over the top or....?
Original post by kelefi

I'm guessing you can carry it off OK, so it won't matter one way or the other. You just don't want them to notice what you're wearing.
Reply 5
Original post by kelefi
hey all,

When I was interviewed at Oxford I overheard some undergrads talking about this. I think the consensus was that suits are a bit too keen. Jeans, an oxford shirt and a sweater was apparently the ideal combo for guys - so basically smart casual.

They won't actively judge you based on your clothes but first impressions are nonetheless important, so striking a balance is a good idea.
Reply 6
Original post by connieiscrazy
Wear whatever you're comfortable in - whether that's a suit or casual wear. Obviously you can't turn up in pyjamas (I wish) but it's unlikely that the tutors will be wearing suits. I've got an interview and I was just going to come in casual clothes :smile:

^this

And it's official:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews/what-do-interviews-involve

What should I wear?
You're not being assessed on your clothes or appearance so there's no need to dress formally, and it's not necessary to wear a suit. On the other hand, you might not want to look as though you're going to the gym or for a night out!The best rule to follow is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in and don't be put off by what other people choose to wear to their interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kelefi

Definitely not over the top, no...I'm going to arrive in my best white suit, pimped out diamante white cowboy boots with glass heels and have my man servant carrying my white alligator skin brief case. I'll likely leave my leather top hat in the Rolls, I don't want to come across as a show off.
Reply 8
XD
Original post by kelefi
hey all,

One thing they definitely wouldn't like a candidate to do is to worry about if he/she is wearing a suitable clothes or not. They want interviewees to be as comfortable and relaxed as he/she can be, so that they can see what you're made of (academically), NOT what you're wearing.
If you think you'll feel comfortable and confident if you go there in suits & all the trimmings, that's fine. If you're more comfortable in t-shirt and jeans, that's fine too.
What you're wearing is the last thing they're interested, if any at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by vincrows
One thing they definitely wouldn't like a candidate to do is to worry about if he/she is wearing a suitable clothes or not. They want interviewees to be as comfortable and relaxed as he/she can be, so that they can see what you're made of (academically), NOT what you're wearing.
If you think you'll feel comfortable and confident if you go there in suits & all the trimmings, that's fine. If you're more comfortable in t-shirt and jeans, that's fine too.
What you're wearing is the last thing they're interested, if any at all.

im most relaxed when im wearing a suit, so i guess thats what ill be going in :biggrin:
Original post by kelefi
hey all,

It won't make any difference, just go with what you'd prefer. :smile:

(And the above notion that wearing a suit for an interview is "too keen" is utterly absurd.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending