The Student Room Group

Why is bond pair- bond pair repulsion not greater than bond-pair - lone pair repuls'?

Hi,

I would appreicate it if someone could explain why bond pair-bond pair repulsion is not greater than bond pair- lone pair repulsion?

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by SANTR
Hi,

I would appreicate it if someone could explain why bond pair-bond pair repulsion is not greater than bond pair- lone pair repulsion?

Cheers

Lone pairs, are well, lone pairs of electrons and so do not bond with other atoms. Thus their orbitals are shorter and more round and so the electron density lies closer to the nucleus. Thus, a lone-pair bond-pair combination will have more electrostatic repulsion than a bond-pair bond-pair simply because the electron density is more spread out.
Original post by RMNDK
Lone pairs, are well, lone pairs of electrons and so do not bond with other atoms. Thus their orbitals are shorter and more round and so the electron density lies closer to the nucleus. Thus, a lone-pair bond-pair combination will have more electrostatic repulsion than a bond-pair bond-pair simply because the electron density is more spread out.

I agree, but surely the bolded bit is an oxymoron?
Reply 3
Original post by richpanda
I agree, but surely the bolded bit is an oxymoron?

Ah yes, my wording is off. I was trying to mean in the sense that as a result it's more spread out, not the actual electron density itself.

Quick Reply

Latest