The Student Room Group

Do you regret your GCSE options or are you happy with them?

I kinda resent my choice. I chose Geography, French and Computing (Y10 now) and after spending time and learning of my units, I'm fine with them, but I still feel some regret. Don't get me wrong I love Geography and Computing, and I'm predicted A*A*A in them. But I feel with the Government clamp down on subjects I feel more regret and limits. Ideally if I had it 4 subjects (or 3 and a twilight) I would've picked History, Geography, Engineering and Computing, or History, Computing, French and Engineering.

I especially regret French, I'm ok at it, but I don't feel motivated to continue with it.

But I guess I haven't been doing them long enough to have a full opinion on it.

Anyways enough about me, how about you? Do you regret your options or are you happy, I would love to hear some input from fellow students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AryanGh
I kinda resent my choice. I chose Geography, French and Computing (Y10 now) and after spending time and learning of my units, I'm fine with them, but I still feel some regret. Don't get me wrong I love Geography and Computing, and I'm predicted A*A*A in them. But I feel with the Government clamp down on subjects I feel more regret and limits. Ideally if I had it 4 subjects (or 3 and a twilight) I would've picked History, Geography, Engineering and Computing, or History, Computing, French and Engineering.

I especially regret French, I'm ok at it, but I don't feel motivated to continue with it.

Anyways enough about me, how about you? Do you regret your options or are you happy, I would love to hear some input from fellow students.

im in year 11 and absolutely hate computing! for my year the coursework is 60% of the grade whereas yours is something like 20%? if you think it is hard can you imagine how hard it is for us. having coursework be 60% when we are barely even familiar with coding.
Original post by ssnape
im in year 11 and absolutely hate computing! for my year the coursework is 60% of the grade whereas yours is something like 20%? if you think it is hard can you imagine how hard it is for us. having coursework be 60% when we are barely even familiar with coding.

Ah yes it is roughly 20% for us, and we are lucky for that, our class is not familiar with the programming language, and the teacher is very hesitant to and usually delays our coding lessons, probably as she doesn't know any more herself!
Reply 3
Original post by AryanGh
Ah yes it is roughly 20% for us, and we are lucky for that, our class is not familiar with the programming language, and the teacher is very hesitant to and usually delays our coding lessons, probably as she doesn't know any more herself!

what is your controlled assessment about? what you learn until around May 2016 is all that will come up in your exam in 2017. theres actually not alot of content :smile:
Original post by ssnape
what is your controlled assessment about? what you learn until around May 2016 is all that will come up in your exam in 2017. theres actually not alot of content :smile:

I believe the theory/coursework hour we do (3 lessons a week) A452 correct me if I'm wrong. We're meant to be looking into the current trends in computing, and conducting a report on a real life computer problem. That makes 30%. Another 30% coursework is through our programming project where we just plan build an advanced program in Visual Basic. The rest is just an exam
Reply 5
Original post by AryanGh
I believe the theory/coursework hour we do (3 lessons a week) A452 correct me if I'm wrong. We're meant to be looking into the current trends in computing, and conducting a report on a real life computer problem. That makes 30%. Another 30% coursework is through our programming project where we just plan build an advanced program in Visual Basic. The rest is just an exam

i dont mean to sound arrogant but oh my god! that sounds much more simpler than ours. we have to create an arithmetic quiz that generates random questions you cant type in the questions yourself. believe me it is harder than it sounds i wish i could drop out and stuck to IT
Original post by ssnape

I'm year 10 and our computing CA is 60%. We did have year 9 to start the course though :smile: What exam board are you?

As for my option choice. We had 5! I chose French, electronics, computing, history and business. I wanted music rather than business but it was music or history and I chose history. The French was a one year and it took a lot of work but I think it was worth it to have a language and never have to do any again. I definitely don't regret computing or history and most the time I enjoy electronics but business is really boring (maybe it's just my teacher) even if I get good marks on the test though I think the topic we do next year is more exciting as it's financial stuff which I more my thing. There was nothing else on the list that I would have picked instead of business as I didn't like any of them so it could be a lot worse.
Original post by ssnape

What programming language are you using? My class had a poor teacher in year 10, so when a new one came in this year we had to start again, and most of the class seem to be fine.

If anything, coursework is easier than the exam, from a logical point of view.
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
I'm year 10 and our computing CA is 60%. We did have year 9 to start the course though :smile: What exam board are you?

As for my option choice. We had 5! I chose French, electronics, computing, history and business. I wanted music rather than business but it was music or history and I chose history. The French was a one year and it took a lot of work but I think it was worth it to have a language and never have to do any again. I definitely don't regret computing or history and most the time I enjoy electronics but business is really boring (maybe it's just my teacher) even if I get good marks on the test though I think the topic we do next year is more exciting as it's financial stuff which I more my thing. There was nothing else on the list that I would have picked instead of business as I didn't like any of them so it could be a lot worse.

i was told the current year 10's only have 20% coursework maybe it was for OCR examboard. my examboard is ocr. I chose geography, history, psychology and computing. i regret choosing all the hard subjects. im currently procrastinating when i should be revising for my mock exams tomorrow
Reply 9
Original post by TheScienceBoy
What programming language are you using? My class had a poor teacher in year 10, so when a new one came in this year we had to start again, and most of the class seem to be fine.

If anything, coursework is easier than the exam, from a logical point of view.

we are doing our controlled assessment on python. Same!! we had a crappy teacher who could not even teach and we have had to basically teach ourselves.
Original post by ssnape
we are doing our controlled assessment on python. Same!! we had a crappy teacher who could not even teach and we have had to basically teach ourselves.

I see, we're using small basic, which is laughably easy to use. Python is good once you've been using it for a while, but students need to be told the basic commands and functions within it.

If you need help on python, I strongly recommend going on khan academy, it offers a vast range of tutorials and tasks based on the programming language, and it's totally free!
Reply 11
Original post by TheScienceBoy
I see, we're using small basic, which is laughably easy to use. Python is good once you've been using it for a while, but students need to be told the basic commands and functions within it.

If you need help on python, I strongly recommend going on khan academy, it offers a vast range of tutorials and tasks based on the programming language, and it's totally free!

well for us it isnt considering we werent taught properly. Expectations are becoming too high nowadays. did you study computing? Thank you :smile: ill check khan academy out
Original post by ssnape
well for us it isnt considering we werent taught properly. Expectations are becoming too high nowadays. did you study computing? Thank you :smile: ill check khan academy out

I'm currrently studying it in Year 11.
Original post by AryanGh

Hiya. I also took Geography, French and Computing. As well as Graphic products. I had the option to pick 4 subjects.

I definitely regret choosing Computing - I was forced into taking it by my Dad. What a terrible choice.

Like yourself, I'm not too keen on French mainly because I don't get on with my class. The subject itself I'm okay with though.

I'm happy with Geography and Graphics.
Original post by ssnape
i was told the current year 10's only have 20% coursework maybe it was for OCR examboard. my examboard is ocr. I chose geography, history, psychology and computing. i regret choosing all the hard subjects. im currently procrastinating when i should be revising for my mock exams tomorrow

We swapped to AQA for the current year 11s and now us. The year below us have 20% coursework but I'm happy we don't as coursework is a lot easier as you can amend it later if you're having a bad day and you can look things up at home (as long as you don't take it back into school). I picked history also and it's one of my favourite subjects. I'm also procrastinating atm when I should be catching up on my history less that I missed yesterday or my electronics that I'm a bit behind on.
Reply 15
I took quite similar options to you - German, Computing, Geography and History. I wish I took different options just because the workload is quite heavy with all of the subjects combined. I would definitely pick an Art subject if I could choose all over again, but apparently you can choose to do Art A Level even without GCSE as long as you demonstrate ability in a portfolio so I guess it is not all bad in the end. :groovy:
Reply 16
Original post by AryanGh

I've chosen History, French and Computing for my options alongside with the core subjects + triple Science. I'm predicted As for all mentioned subjects. I currently regret doing Computing with OCR as the whole course is just a nightmare and I haven't had any decent teacher since I joined the class from a different subject. I should've done IT instead or Business Studies which is BTEC but I'll be top of the class anyways as the people in that class aren't that great.

French has to be my best subject as I'm making constant progress from Y7 though it was in Y8 where my French improved dramatically as I had a new teacher who is now HOD and is such a great teacher. History is also one of my best subjects however I feel that I don't have the best teacher and class to suit me well as there's behavioral issues. I hope to get a strict teacher in Y11 or the HOD who's apparently very nice.
I hate Geography, only picked it because I had to choose one of the humanities and it was more of a "I will probably hate this one the least" rather than a "I'll take this because I actually enjoy it" kind of decision.
I'm not sure if I regret it, I never particularly enjoyed History or RS either...

Also took Computer Science, Art, Latin and Chinese.
I actually enjoy Computer Science, I mean our teacher is not very good so I kinda self-taught but I found it quite fun :P
Art is quite a lot of work, but at least there isn't an exam that you need to revise for and it's a nice break from all the other stuff, so I don't really regret it

Quick Reply

Latest