The Student Room Group

I don't meet the entrance requirements for the course I want to do

Hi everyone. I'm interested in applying to study Liberal Arts with a Sociology major at Leeds and Exeter, but I have a problem: Leeds want a C in GCSE Maths, and I have a D. My GCSEs in general are terrible because I was seriously ill for a long time during secondary school, but I managed to get passing grades in English Language and Literature easily because I am naturally much better at English than Maths (I suspect I am dyscalculic).

I asked Leeds whether a C is required for Liberal Arts with a Middle Eastern Studies major and they said no. Middle Eastern Studies is interesting to me but I would feel more confident majoring in Sociology, having more prior knowledge about the subject. Would anyone recommend Sociology over Middle Eastern Studies or vice versa based upon career prospects etc?

Advice would be much appreciated on whether I should
A) Retake my Maths (which would probably mean spending another year at college and being 22 by the time I start Uni)
B) Make a gamble by applying for Liberal Arts (Sociology major) with a (in my view) strong personal statement and a reference that emphasizes the fact that my GCSE grades are not a reflection of my true academic ability, or
C) Apply for Liberal Arts with a Middle Eastern Studies major.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Get the GCSE, you never know if it will affect you after uni. I retook it 2 years ago, did access last year and started uni September just gone. I'm 28 so starting uni a little later is seriously not a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Head.In.A.Book
Get the GCSE, you never know if it will affect you after uni. I retook it 2 years ago, did access last year and started uni September just gone. I'm 28 so starting uni a little later is seriously not a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot to add, I have to apply for University as part of my Access Diploma, although I don't have to accept any offers obviously.

The thing about spending another year studying at college is that I think I'll get depressed. I really hate my situation so getting out of it by living away from home among similarly-minded people whilst working towards something useful that I care about is something I'd like to do ASAP.
Reply 3
Original post by redinthegrey
Advice would be much appreciated on whether I should
A) Retake my Maths (which would probably mean spending another year at college and being 22 by the time I start Uni)
B) Make a gamble by applying for Liberal Arts (Sociology major) with a (in my view) strong personal statement and a reference that emphasizes the fact that my GCSE grades are not a reflection of my true academic ability, or
C) Apply for Liberal Arts with a Middle Eastern Studies major.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hi,

If it were me I wouldn't do the middle eastern studies- simply because there is no point picking a subject just so you can go to uni quicker. Personally, I'd apply for Liberal arts with sociology and see if you can get in but also apply to start your GCSE maths at college so that if you don't get into uni then you can do your GCSE first then reapply.

Don't rush into it and end up doing a course that you aren't bothered about just because you don't want to wait.

x
Original post by Jenx301
Hi,

If it were me I wouldn't do the middle eastern studies- simply because there is no point picking a subject just so you can go to uni quicker. Personally, I'd apply for Liberal arts with sociology and see if you can get in but also apply to start your GCSE maths at college so that if you don't get into uni then you can do your GCSE first then reapply.

Don't rush into it and end up doing a course that you aren't bothered about just because you don't want to wait.

x

Well I am bothered about Middle Eastern Studies, I just think Sociology would be easier. I wanted to do Arabic or Arabic and Islamic/Middle Eastern Studies a few months ago, but I changed my mind and decided that it would be safer to do Sociology.
Reply 5
Well I am bothered about Middle Eastern Studies, I just think Sociology would be easier. I wanted to do Arabic or Arabic and Islamic/Middle Eastern Studies a few months ago, but I changed my mind and decided that it would be safer to do Sociology.

Pick the subject you want to do the most then look at what you need to do to apply.
Most jobs require a C grade GCSE in maths, even if you have a degree. To be honest, you could do the GCSE in maths this coming May if you started now. You don't need to do it at college, just buy a textbook and do lots of past papers - if I can do it then anyone can! Speak to your college about doing your exam there as a private candidate.
Original post by Snufkin
Most jobs require a C grade GCSE in maths, even if you have a degree. To be honest, you could do the GCSE in maths this coming May if you started now. You don't need to do it at college, just buy a textbook and do lots of past papers - if I can do it then anyone can! Speak to your college about doing your exam there as a private candidate.

Right, if I decided to do that would I need to ask my referee to write that I'm currently studying to retake GCSE Maths? I know someone whose friend got into Sheffield Uni without a required C in Maths or something like that, they accepted him on the condition that he retake Maths alongside his degree.
Right, if I decided to do that would I need to ask my referee to write that I'm currently studying to retake GCSE Maths? I know someone whose friend got into Sheffield Uni without a required C in Maths or something like that, they accepted him on the condition that he retake Maths alongside his degree.

Have you already sent your UCAS application?
Original post by Snufkin
Have you already sent your UCAS application?

I haven't.
I haven't.

Then you don't need to get your referee to mention that you're redoing your GCSE, just list it as pending in the education section of UCAS.
Original post by Snufkin
Then you don't need to get your referee to mention that you're redoing your GCSE, just list it as pending in the education section of UCAS.

Ah okay. :smile:
Put the hours in and retake GCSE maths this year.
Can you take a GCSE this late into the year?
Ive looked around everywhere and apparently I have to wait until next year now
Original post by sawyer12

It shouldn't be too late to register as an independent candidate. Have you asked your local exam centres?
(edited 8 years ago)
No, it's for English and I've only inquired at local learning centres and colleges.
I didn't realise you could register as an independent candidate
Original post by sawyer12

There's places by me that do a fast track gcse in a couple of subjects which start in Jan so hey are around

Quick Reply