The Student Room Group

Don't have the right GCSE grade.

I am quite confident with my entry requirements but the only thing that is scaring me is the GCSE requirements. I am applying for Reading, Middlesex, Kent, Brunel and maybe City to study Psychology . Both City and Reading are asking for a B in English but I only got a C. Do you think they will accept me?
Original post by gilberta
I am quite confident with my entry requirements but the only thing that is scaring me is the GCSE requirements. I am applying for Reading, Middlesex, Kent, Brunel and maybe City to study Psychology . Both City and Reading are asking for a B in English but I only got a C. Do you think they will accept me?

Universities are much less flexible about GCSEs than they often are about A levels, and if the universities have specified that they want a specific GCSE grade, rather than just the basic set of passes, applying there without it is a swift route to the reject pile.

try resitting it
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Universities are much less flexible about GCSEs than they often are about A levels, and if the universities have specified that they want a specific GCSE grade, rather than just the basic set of passes, applying there without it is a swift route to the reject pile.

:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
try resitting it

its quite late in the year and now a days i would have to do coursework and stuff... but i guess i will check with my college if they will let me do it.

You could've done one of the November resits and then applied with the B (or, preferably, higher) grade in hand. As Carnationlilyrose has said, it's unlikely that they'll budge on their minimum GCSE requirements, especially when it's in a core subject like English.

I would suggest that you choose unis with GCSE rrequirements that you meet.
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
You could've done one of the November resits and then applied with the B (or, preferably, higher) grade in hand. As Carnationlilyrose has said, it's unlikely that they'll budge on their minimum GCSE requirements, especially when it's in a core subject like English.

I took my GCSE English in 2013 so I think it was before the reforms so i wouldnt have been able to do it November. Back then I thought i`would be fine with a C :afraid:
I took my GCSE English in 2013 so I think it was before the reforms so i wouldnt have been able to do it November. Back then I thought i`would be fine with a C :afraid:

In that case, I suggest you replace City and Reading with universities whose require a C in English. Alternatively, you could find somewhere to do the new English GCSE privately but I don't know how viable that is in terms of doing coursework, not affecting your A Levels and so on. Applying to universities with higher grade requirements than what you have or are predicted to have isn't a good idea.
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
In that case, I suggest you replace City and Reading with universities whose require a C in English. Alternatively, you could find somewhere to do the new English GCSE privately but I don't know how viable that is in terms of doing coursework, not affecting your A Levels and so on. Applying to universities with higher grade requirements than what you have or are predicted to have isn't a good idea.

I will just have to change it. At least I still got Kent which would be my first choice. Thanks for the advice :smile:
I will just have to change it. At least I still got Kent which would be my first choice. Thanks for the advice :smile:

well done. If it all possible try and resit. If not for meeting the requirements of certain universities, but for your own intellectual development. After all going from C to B to A etc. only encourages you to think, write, express and understand material with depth. This will serve you well on your course, and generally in life.

Whatever you do, all the best!

:-)

Don't resit the English - focus on your A2s - a grade C in English is fine :smile:
:giggle: :hi:
Queen Mary and Royal Holloway don't require a B in English at GCSE and are in the area you are looking at and about the same grades. It might also be worth looking at Sussex. If your interested in travelling further afield you could try Swansea which only requires a C in English Language again around the same points
How were your AS grades/predicted grades because if they meet the requirements I think it's still worth applying. I got an offer for a Uni where my AS grades didn't meet the requirements too, so maybe have a mixture Unis of higher and lower requirements? I am so glad I applied and I think I'll be happier there than at a place that I only applied to because I thought I'd get in :smile: good luck hope it goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending