The Student Room Group

What's a biology A-Level like?

Biology A-Level students, give me your experiences of studying this subject. Is it interesting? Dreary? Spill the beans, I'm considering taking it as an A-Level, but I'm not sure.
How hard is it? Do you like it?
I completed OCR Bio and got an A*.

Basically, be prepared to memorise a **** tonne of info and you'll be fine.

Use specification + textbook + specification notes (google them) + past papers.
Reply 2
A sh*t load of memorisation and then come the exam very little will come up of all the things you've spend months on end memorising. Also, there's so much application it'll drive you crazy. So you not only have to memorise all the details but you also have to apply your knowledge. But the content is very interesting and a lot of people enjoy it. If you're willing to work hard, do a sh*t ton of past papers and memorise mark scheme answers you'll do well.

It's much easier than chemistry though so if you enjoy it definitely take it.
Reply 3
There is a LOT of information to memorise -- a lot of note-taking.

It's similar to GCSE in that to get a good grade, you need to do a ****load of past papers to understand the specific phrases examinors are looking for.

Whether it's interesting or boring depends a) on the module, and b) on the teacher!
Reply 4
Original post by suirrel
There is a LOT of information to memorise -- a lot of note-taking.

It's similar to GCSE in that to get a good grade, you need to do a ****load of past papers to understand the specific phrases examinors are looking for.

Whether it's interesting or boring depends a) on the module, and b) on the teacher!

It's so creepy how we both described it as a **** load/ton of past papers :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by $$$$$$
It's so creepy how we both described it as a **** load/ton of past papers :rofl:

I guess it shows just what Biology A level is like! :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by suirrel
I guess it shows just what Biology A level is like! :tongue:

**** ocr bio! F214 was a lie :cry2: I wish i'd taken a humanity subject at a level. Something like RS or sociology. The A*'s would have come flooding in tut tut.
Reply 7
Ah, I did AQA. Left after christmas though, shows how much I liked my teachers!

Quick Reply

Latest