The Student Room Group

Simultaneous equation help

This equation could be easy but i really have not been taught anything when it comes to this equation at my college so i have little understanding when it comes to this stuff, i may have done it at school but its been over two years since doing anything like it. The equations i was given were:
5p = 4q
4p + 3q + 31 = 0
I may also need help with quadratics but so far i think im getting the hang of it, my answers may be totally off but the formula is easier to understand, but any help with this simultaneous equation would be good, after getting nothing off my tutor im left to go elsewhere.
Original post by Kyley97
This equation could be easy but i really have not been taught anything when it comes to this equation at my college so i have little understanding when it comes to this stuff, i may have done it at school but its been over two years since doing anything like it. The equations i was given were:
5p = 4q
4p + 3q + 31 = 0
I may also need help with quadratics but so far i think im getting the hang of it, my answers may be totally off but the formula is easier to understand, but any help with this simultaneous equation would be good, after getting nothing off my tutor im left to go elsewhere.

The idea of simultaneous equations is to end up with an equation with 1 unknown, so like if I said 10m=30 then you could get m on its own to find that m =3.

If you call 5p = 4q equation 1 and the other one equation 2, it seems natural to rearrange equation 1 and put it into equation 2.

So how could you 'get rid' of either 3q or 4p in the second equation, using the first equation?
Original post by Kyley97
5p = 4q
4p + 3q + 31 = 0

Are you using the process of elimination or substitution?

You also may find it easier to have all the letters on one side and numbers on the other (so for the first equation, you'd have 5p4q=05p-4q=0)
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
Are you using the process of elimination or substitution?

You also may find it easier to have all the letters on one side and numbers on the other (so for the first equation, you'd have 5p4q=05p-4q=0)

For this question im using the elimination method, also thanks ill give that a try

Quick Reply

Latest