The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter vs Sussex

Can someone help me decide between Exeter and Sussex uni.
Looking to study Geography.
Really want to know what the campus's and night life is like
As a final year Exeter University student whose best friend studied at Sussex I feel I can offer a good opinion on this! It depends what you want from uni as these two places are pretty different. In terms of rankings and reputation Exeter is probably a bit better but I don't know that there's a lot in it, I think it's much more important to consider your life at each place. Exeter is a small city, there's a decent student nightlife scene but everything is pretty generic and closes early. There's a few events if you're into more alternative stuff but you can't compare to Brighton. Brighton is so much more fun as a city in general with loads going on, all kinds of bars and clubs so you can have whatever night you like (plus just one hour from London). In the daytime too Brighton is much much more exciting. In terms of the people you're likely to meet, I see it that Exeter is full of posh people who love being posh and Sussex is full of posh people who want to deny it and live a bohemian life haha! Seriously though I think people are more liberal at Sussex as it has that general reputation. They're both campus unis and I reckon Exeter is a prettier campus but that's not really very important tbh.
If I were to choose again I would go for Sussex for sure. If you want a quiet, chilled uni experience then go for Exeter by all means, but I think Sussex would be so much more fun. Don't let yourself be seduced by arbitrary rankings and think of your life in the place because we're not talking about the difference between Oxford and Sussex which is obvious, the reputation difference between Exeter and Sussex is much less significant.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Actually Sussex ranks really higher for the social sciences, It's 39th in the world, while Exeter is 83. (
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/social-sciences#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats)

So Sussex would deff be a better choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending