The Student Room Group

I Want to Drop Out But Don't Know if it is The Correct Decision

So i'm 17, in college, doing a level 2 diploma in conservation. It really is my dream to work outside with nature and become a ranger and so that is why i picked this course, but i'm starting to think i made the wrong decision, you see not because it isn't what i love, and not because its difficult or anything of the sort, i just feel like i need something else, something different, it doesn't seem like the right place for me, my thought is that i should drop out now, get a job for a year, allow my self some head space to really get my life straight and clear my thoughts, and then decide what i should do. Would i be doing something wrong or something damaging to my life and how could i explain this to my grandparents who i live with? If it helps my reasoning for thinking about this and wanting to make this decision is i haven't really made any 'good' friends there and feel kind of lonely, i'm not being challenged, and as a result of not being challenged im not really feeling like i'm learning anything. Please help!
I can tell you are not happy with where you are at but I'm not a fan of "dropping out" so you can clear your head.
Finding a worthwhile job as a college drop out with just GCSE may be easier said than done.
Ive never been in your position but I'd recommend you try to complete the year and achieve the best possible results you can with a good track record if you chose to take a new direction. Dropping out now could create a poor impression of you that impacts your future choices so unless you are totally miserable try to stick it out while exploring other options that attract you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lolcamlolcamlol
So i'm 17, in college, doing a level 2 diploma in conservation. It really is my dream to work outside with nature and become a ranger and so that is why i picked this course, but i'm starting to think i made the wrong decision, you see not because it isn't what i love, and not because its difficult or anything of the sort, i just feel like i need something else, something different, it doesn't seem like the right place for me, my thought is that i should drop out now, get a job for a year, allow my self some head space to really get my life straight and clear my thoughts, and then decide what i should do. Would i be doing something wrong or something damaging to my life and how could i explain this to my grandparents who i live with? If it helps my reasoning for thinking about this and wanting to make this decision is i haven't really made any 'good' friends there and feel kind of lonely, i'm not being challenged, and as a result of not being challenged im not really feeling like i'm learning anything. Please help!

Drop out. Find an apprenticeship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maggie43
Drop out. Find an apprenticeship

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only risks I see with that plan are:
College drop outs are not the most sought after candidates for good apprenticeship schemes where employers are looking for people committed to finish what they start.
Great post-GCSE apprenticeships are not nearly as common as those available to people with level 3 qualifications (A level or BTEC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
follow your dreams, become a pokemon ranger!

Quick Reply