The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Foundation course?
Reply 2
How long is the foundation course? One year?

Wouldn't that be a more expensive option, although it is a year shorter... do you have to pay for it, like other unis?

Also, I thought foundation courses in general are 'frowned' upon, for some reason - is that true?
If you only want to do sciences because you think they might help your career, I'd say it's not worth it, unless you have a specific scientific career in mind. You can still get a good job that pays well with a philosophy degree (as long as that's what you enjoy) and you won't have to waste time or money doing more A-levels or a foundation course.
Reply 4
Thanks. I wasn't really going to do it, but sometimes I'm sick of stereotypes of Philosophy students "oh your degree is so easy" etc and it makes me annoyed.
Reply 5
Foundation courses: "Foundation courses are usually a university-level course (one year full time or two years' part time) for candidates who have already achieved sufficient qualifications to enter university but which need to be refreshed before embarking on a full time degree programme. Where specific science subjects are required, the foundation course must be shown to cover the same content as those A-levels to the appropriate standard."
my friend is a art and bio student, she is really good at both

i say just go for it
Reply 7
Science foundation year.....plenty of universities do that...a friend of mine did one at kent university....

just turns a 3 year degree into a 4 year one...but you still have the all the funding you will need etc for all 4 years....apparently the science foundation year was the best thing he did...hes currently in his second year averaging over 80% on each module and is going for a first....
fewquestions
Thanks. I wasn't really going to do it, but sometimes I'm sick of stereotypes of Philosophy students "oh your degree is so easy" etc and it makes me annoyed.

I hate the assumption that sciences are somehow a lot harder as well, but I bet lots of scientists would fail/do rubbish in a philosophy degree and their subject doesn't guarantee them a good job anymore than yours does. You can't let these ignorant snobs stop you from doing what you want to do.
Reply 9
kellywood_5
I hate the assumption that sciences are somehow a lot harder as well, but I bet lots of scientists would fail/do rubbish in a philosophy degree and their subject doesn't guarantee them a good job anymore than yours does. You can't let these ignorant snobs stop you from doing what you want to do.

I think what the OP is trying to express the fact that science students think more logically, are numerate and everything else that art students are not.

If he wants to study science, you shouldn't try to put him of.

Of course it doesn't guarantee you anything in the way of jobs. But I'm pretty convinced it opens a few more technical/numerate doors.
Reply 10
It's perfectly possible if you study Maths.
Reply 11
Loughborough Uni has the best foundation year course going. Entry requirement: only CC (two C's) at A level. You can study just about any course they offer, provided you pass the foundation year.
john171
I think what the OP is trying to express the fact that science students think more logically, are numerate and everything else that art students are not.

If he wants to study science, you shouldn't try to put him of.

Of course it doesn't guarantee you anything in the way of jobs. But I'm pretty convinced it opens a few more technical/numerate doors.

I think it's a pretty prejudiced, not to mention not necessarily true, assumption that science students are more logical, numerate and 'everything else that art students are not.' It's perfectly possible to be an art student, but still be logical and numerate. I could equally say that arts students are more creative, literate and 'everything else that science students are not', but I don't because it's just a stereotype.

Anyway, of course the OP should study science if they want to and I'm not trying to put them off, but I get the impression they don't really want to, as confirmed by their next post. They just think it might give them more opportunities becase it's more respected, so I was merely pointing out that it doesn't guarantee a good job. Unless they have a specific career in mind that requires a science degree, it's pointless to switch subjects to something they won't really enjoy.
I do architecture and did a bio a level and an AS in chem. Okay, so maybe I wanted to do medicine before.. but i still continued with bio. Personally, its not worth it. And I know what you mean, there are always people out there who think that your course is easy, blah blah blah.. I get that all the time about my course.
Reply 14
I would say to try your philosophy course first. I would have thought that there's the option of going down the Philosophy of Science route, and in such instances, I'm sure your University will offer you the oppropriate background.

I've come more and more to realise that actually there isn't such a sharp devide between the sciences and the arts. That to do anything remotely useful, you have to have lowledge of both. Even in the extreme of mathematics, you will probably benifite from the more abstract thinking of arts subjects, and vice versa. So I'd say that at the end of the day, it's not what you do but how you do it.

Although, I guess you need to really enjoy what you're doing...so if you really see yourself as a scientist then go for it, but if not, I think you're fine where you are.
Reply 15
kellywood_5
I could equally say that arts students are more creative, literate and 'everything else that science students are not', but I don't because it's just a stereotype.

To begin with, I'd say science students are more creative (Have you ever talked to a mathematician, mechanical engineer, theoretical physicist?), but arts students are probably more literate.
Reply 16
Abra
To begin with, I'd say science students are more creative (Have you ever talked to a mathematician, mechanical engineer, theoretical physicist?), but arts students are probably more literate.

Not necessarily. I'd hate this to turn into a 'science people are infinitely better than arts people who are just a drain on society' type thing. As a person who is probably a scientist, but would still like to be thought of an artist (because I am, damn it!), I have found that you find all sorts of people doing all sorts of things, and have different mixtures of skills. Although, as illustrated by the student rep board at Manchester Uni, physicis are not the most outgoing of people. However, when I went to Cern, there were a lot of energectic phycists, so it's probably because they're too busy working out the meaning of the universe, or something.

If you compared an average arts to an average science student, there'd probably be more similarities than differences.
well having done the sciences as well as having done art, i think that there is a commonality between the two. Can't really explain it - but its the idea of being able to learn the stuff and apply knowledge - it follows a similar mannerism for me that is.
I think however it totally depends on the person as some are more artsy than sciency and vice versa. And hence, they are unable to use the same learning methodology for both subject areas.
Reply 18
Guess I will stick to Philosophy. Some idiot neg repped me for this thread....
erm... that would have to be the most stupidest reason to neg someone! actually.. what on earth could the reason even be?! :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending