The Student Room Group

Article: Nine signs you're a proper scrooge

Christmas is usually a time to spend with friends and family, an excuse to over indulge on nice food and get presents, does it really sound that bad? Well for some, yes. Some people in fact really dislike Christmas and turn into proper Scrooges. Here's how you know if you're a scrooge or not:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21231-Nine-signs-you-re-a-proper-scrooge
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm definitely not a Scrooge, I love xmas :biggrin: A few of the things on the list though are things we all have to put up with and hate, such as family dramas, big queues and dry turkey :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm definitely not a Scrooge, I love xmas :biggrin: A few of the things on the list though are things we all have to put up with and hate, such as family dramas, big queues and dry turkey :lol:

hahaha, it's too true. I also love Christmas I just wish everyone could share our enthusiasm!
Reply 3
I'm definitely a scrooge.
I love Christmas, but I also love celebrating Christmas quietly behind closed doors with my family and friends. I do not appreciate people I don't know well or at all for that matter reminding me every 2 minutes that "it's Christmas!!!" mid November as they bound around with a Father Christmas hat on slamming Mariah Carey and Michael Buble out of the nearest speakers! At the moment there is a ruddy big brass band that perch themselves right outside of my work and just trump and parp out Christmas songs all evening long and I can only take so much. To me a simple "merry Christmas" from somebody, a friend, family member or even a stranger is so lovely and heartwarming but being quite a reserved character I die a little inside when I have a fully grown human adult I hardly know in front of me prancing about in a Christmas jumper and reindeer antlers trying to provoke some kind of excitable reaction from me. Rant over.
Reply 5
I am a bit of a scrooge. I don't like surprises, dry turkey, Christmas songs - especially Mariah Carey, Don't like second hand gifts
*Goes out to buy decorations*
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
I'm definitely a scrooge.

Why? What do you dislike about Christmas?
I'm a scrooge normally but I like turkey and Christmas songs lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scrooge for life
Reply 10
Original post by Rachelj16x
Scrooge for life

Why so?
I think that I like the idea of Christmas more than Christmas itself. :redface: I think it might be because I am older now - you can never quite recapture that Christmas magic that you used to feel when you were younger.
I don't care about christmas enough to hate it.
I'm rather meh about Christmas if I'm honest. It starts too early. If I had it my way, I wouldn't celebrate it.
Reply 14
Original post by Pickles
Why? What do you dislike about Christmas?

Pretty much everything - it's always been a horrible time of year for me.
I love Christmas. I love the decorations, the food, the songs. I love Christmas shopping and finding the perfect presents and cards for my family. I love the build-up and the excitement.
Original post by mrordinary
I love Christmas, but I also love celebrating Christmas quietly behind closed doors with my family and friends. I do not appreciate people I don't know well or at all for that matter reminding me every 2 minutes that "it's Christmas!!!" mid November as they bound around with a Father Christmas hat on slamming Mariah Carey and Michael Buble out of the nearest speakers! At the moment there is a ruddy big brass band that perch themselves right outside of my work and just trump and parp out Christmas songs all evening long and I can only take so much. To me a simple "merry Christmas" from somebody, a friend, family member or even a stranger is so lovely and heartwarming but being quite a reserved character I die a little inside when I have a fully grown human adult I hardly know in front of me prancing about in a Christmas jumper and reindeer antlers trying to provoke some kind of excitable reaction from me. Rant over.

Yeah I agree with this. I went to an early Christmas dinner the other night with people from work and it was nice to start feeling things were Christmassy and winding down for the end of the year and then one loud and obnoxious guy who had come in a Christmas jumper was going round the tables berating everybody who hadn't turned up in a Christmas jumper BOOO NOT IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT, BOOO SCROOOGE and so on, and demanding everyone do stupid faces wearing their party hats from the crackers, breaking up everyone's conversations to insist on everybody doing the cracker jokes together. He thought that he was the spirit of Christmas come to inject some life in to the party but it just made everyone think what a knob.

Somehow with Christmas I always like the romanticised idea of Edwardian or Victorian Christmasses, I like the whole "Christmas spirit" and "festive cheer" and people saying happy Christmas and stuff but I don't like the rowdiness that it brings out in some people. No doubt when I have family get togethers I will also get irritated by the obnoxious uncles who want to castigate everybody who isn't drinking enough.
I guess I'm scrooge, I hate Christmas.

I just want to not celebrate that damned thing but my parents make my life sad during it because they woudlnt leave me alone.

Altough I only hate Christmas because of how my family behaves. If everyone could just leave me alone during Christmas I woudlnt care if it is or if it isnt.
I quite like it but only if its a lazy christmas :lol: I love it when its just really chilled at my house with only my parents and brother and I can stay in a onesie all day haha

Quick Reply

Latest