The Student Room Group

can't find the particular integral

y'' + 3y' + 2y = xe^(-x)

The complementary function is Ae(-2x) + Be(-x)

For the particular integral I tried Cxe(-x) and (Cx + D)e^(-x) and neither works. I'm at a loss.
Original post by StarvingAutist
y'' + 3y' + 2y = xe^(-x)

For the particular integral I tried Cxe(-x) and (Cx + D)e^(-x) and neither works. I'm at a loss.

Try: (Cx+D)(xex) \displaystyle (Cx+D)(xe^{-x}) for your particular integral. Since the RHS contains one of the solutions to the homogeneous ODE, that is ex \displaystyle e^{-x} you need to multiply that term by x \displaystyle x .
(edited 8 years ago)
y'' + 3y' + 2y = xe^(-x)

Have you tried Cx2exCx^2 e^{-x}?
Original post by atsruser
Have you tried Cx2exCx^2 e^{-x}?

Yeah, that didn't work either. Maybe I'm making an algebraic mistake somewhere..
Yeah, that didn't work either. Maybe I'm making an algebraic mistake somewhere..

Did you try what I suggested?
Original post by poorform
Did you try what I suggested?

Yeah, doing y = (ax^2 + bx + c)e^-x works with c unnecessary. Missed your post but thanks, you were right.
Yeah, doing y = (ax^2 + bx + c)e^-x works with c unnecessary. Missed your post but thanks, you were right.

No problem, and multiplying by the e^(-x) by x is equivalent to multiplying the (Cx+D) bit by x which is what you did in your post.
Original post by poorform
No problem, and multiplying by the e^(-x) by x is equivalent to multiplying the (Cx+D) bit by x which is what you did in your post.

Can you help with another one? I have x'' + 4x = t + cos2t; I thought x = at + b + csin2t + dcos2t would work but that just comes out as 4at + 4b = t + cos2t.
Reply 8
Can you help with another one? I have x'' + 4x = t + cos2t; I thought x = at + b + csin2t + dcos2t would work but that just comes out as 4at + 4b = t + cos2t.

the "trig bit" in this one needs tsin2t ONLY
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
the "trig bit" in this one needs tsin2t ONLY

Okay, thanks :smile:
Can you explain why?
Reply 10
Okay, thanks :smile:
Can you explain why?

Experience is the answer.

For SHM differential equations with forcing