The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering

I'm currently doing Maths, Physics and Economics. I dropped chemistry last year. Are my current subjects good for a mech eng degree at a good uni. Should I do chemistry instead of econ. I'm taking a gap year so if I study further maths during that year would that boost my application.
Thanks
Original post by _JOKER_
I'm currently doing Maths, Physics and Economics. I dropped chemistry last year. Are my current subjects good for a mech eng degree at a good uni. Should I do chemistry instead of econ. I'm taking a gap year so if I study further maths during that year would that boost my application.
Thanks

Hi there!

Certain universities vary on their requirements for engineering - at the University of Glasgow you only require maths and physics in order to be accepted for Mechanical Engineering.
Mechanical engineering does not have a huge focus on chemistry but a background knowledge can definitely help, particularly in the fields of materials and thermodynamics.

Engineering degrees tend to be very maths heavy, particularly in the first few years, so studying further into maths will look great. I did some advanced topics in maths when I was applying to uni and it definitely helped in my application and it helps a lot towards settling into uni.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help out with! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering
Reply 2
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!

Certain universities vary on their requirements for engineering - at the University of Glasgow you only require maths and physics in order to be accepted for Mechanical Engineering.
Mechanical engineering does not have a huge focus on chemistry but a background knowledge can definitely help, particularly in the fields of materials and thermodynamics.

Engineering degrees tend to be very maths heavy, particularly in the first few years, so studying further into maths will look great. I did some advanced topics in maths when I was applying to uni and it definitely helped in my application and it helps a lot towards settling into uni.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help out with! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep

Does a gap year look bad for an engineering degree?
Reply 3
Original post by _JOKER_

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _JOKER_

Hey!

As jneill said, nope, a gap year doesn't look bad at all.
Especially if you take part of that gap year to further your maths, you may well be looked on more favourably.

I would recommend staying on top of maths/physics and the like, as a year is quite a long time to be out of studying. The problem isn't necessarily being accepted, it's coping going back into education, even just after the year. It may not have too much of an effect, but keeping in the studying mood can definitely help. :smile:

Again, let us know if there's anything we can help with!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending