The Student Room Group

Missed a few words in the ending of my personal statement

Hi everyone, I'm applying for Business and Mangenment. I sent off my application already last week and I have already got an offer from Durham. However, I went to my UCAS account today to check some details and I realised my ending sentence of my personal statement is not completed, it goes like that:
"I believe that it will be a challenging yet engaging course to study, which will broaden my perspectives and open up career opportunities for me to manage a company which t"
it should be "which thrives the world of business."
Although I have already got an offer, I'm still panicking. I have asked UCAS for advice, they told me to email my universities and ask for permissions to make a correction. However, I think it will limit my chance for getting an offer from them, especially they are LSE and UCL.
You should be able to change it if it is less that 7 days since you got your track email- if not I would email those universities or call them for advice. Durham is quite a picky uni so it can't be seen as so major if they haven't penalised you for it. All the best.
Reply 2
Original post by kjames1000
You should be able to change it if it is less that 7 days since you got your track email- if not I would email those universities or call them for advice. Durham is quite a picky uni so it can't be seen as so major if they haven't penalised you for it. All the best.

Thanks! It's 7 days tomorrow, what should I do now, I don't want to leave it too late
Reply 3
help!
Original post by Lamatata
help!

You can't change your PS and has been demonstrated to you by your offer from Durham, it clearly does not matter.
Calm down. You've already seen it doesn't matter. Next time learn the lesson of proof-reading anything you submit.
Emailing your universities will just draw attention to an error that may well be missed or forgiven otherwise. If this was down to an error on the part of someone other than you then it would be worth getting in touch.

The only thing you should do is to learn from this and properly proof read your final submissions.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Emailing your universities will just draw attention to an error that may well be missed or forgiven otherwise. If this was down to an error on the part of someone other than you then it would be worth getting in touch.

The only thing you should do is to learn from this and properly proof read your final submissions.

Its obviously my fault not to proof read it before submitting it, as I believed my referee who said it's all fine and perfect.
But the error is too obvious, there is no way that the universities will miss it. If I call and apologise, will it be better ?
Its obviously my fault not to proof read it before submitting it, as I believed my referee who said it's all fine and perfect.
But the error is too obvious, there is no way that the universities will miss it. If I call and apologise, will it be better ?

You've just been told that it won't. Forget about it.
to be honest, fi the rest is good I doubt they'd care
Subject area

Economics Total intake (by subject area)

237 (2016 entry) Applications per place (by subject area)

12 (2014 entry) applications per place
I have just taken economics as a random case. This shows UCL has over 2000 applications for economics. They are not going to physically go through all these personal statements with a tooth comb. This has already been shown by you having an offer from Durham. You might or might not get an offer from UCL or LSE but this will be due to the competition you will face rather than a few words missing off your PS, Even if you don't you are still lucky enough to have an offer from Durham. Applying to UCL LSE and Durham is very high risk and some end up with no offers.
Reply 11
Thanks for your replies guys, it really helped a lot. I decided to leave it and not to do anything. It turns out I just got another offer from Manchester yesterday
Thanks for your replies guys, it really helped a lot. I decided to leave it and not to do anything. It turns out I just got another offer from Manchester yesterday

Well, there you go. Good news. :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm applying for Business and Mangenment. I sent off my application already last week and I have already got an offer from Durham. However, I went to my UCAS account today to check some details and I realised my ending sentence of my personal statement is not completed, it goes like that:
"I believe that it will be a challenging yet engaging course to study, which will broaden my perspectives and open up career opportunities for me to manage a company which t"
it should be "which thrives the world of business."
Although I have already got an offer, I'm still panicking. I have asked UCAS for advice, they told me to email my universities and ask for permissions to make a correction. However, I think it will limit my chance for getting an offer from them, especially they are LSE and UCL.

If I were you, what I would do is email each university individually, and e
Reply 14
Original post by Smonnie
If I were you, what I would do is email each university individually, and e

what do you mean? I have already chosen to ignore it....

And rightly so, as we have established.

They were joking - they truncated their advice in a similar way to your PS.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
They were joking - they truncated their advice in a similar way to your PS.

Oh,,, hey I tell you what, it is good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending