The Student Room Group

Maths vs Chemical Engineering

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HashimHWR
Hi
I'm curently in 5th year (Scotland) and have taken Higher Biology, Maths, English, Modern Studies and Chemistry.
Im interested in chemical engineering or maths as a degree to study in uni but I can't decide between the two.

Chemical Engineering pays well (chartered status can get you around £50 000 - £65 000). I also live in Scotland so working in the oil industry in Aberdeen would be lucrative. I quite like maths, chemistry and problem solving. Maths is my favourite subject right now. I could also go get an MBA for management positions for when I'm older and the working hours are pretty average.

However, I would need to crash Higher Physics and take 3 advanced highers in 6th year to apply to chemical engineering at Aberdeen Uni. I can apply to Imperial College without it though but I'd take it if I decide to go for the engineering route. Heriot Watt and Edinburgh seem like good unis for it too.

Maths seems like a good degree to study. I quite like maths and I like handling money. I would probably apply to St. Adnrews, Edinburgh, Oxford, Imperial and Warwick. This degree can lead onto jobs such as Investment Banking and Accountancy but I'd have to move to London to make money, but I don't really mind. Accountants can get around about £40 000 to £60 000 so the pay is not bad either. Investment bankers can get crazy salaries but they have to work loooooooong hours. The actuarial profession isn't too appealing due to the exam system it has. Is investment baking worth the hours and stress? Is accountancy limited in terms of career/salary progression and is chemical engineering limited too? What other finance careers are lucrative and aren't as aren't as bad on hours as IB?

Taking in these factors, and the fact that I really like maths + science, what one do you think is a better option? Of course it seems vague as I should do what I love but I like the idea of all of these careers so I am honestly torn for what degree to study.

What appeals more to you: engineering or finance?
Hi
How are you ?
are you here ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi
I'm curently in 5th year (Scotland) and have taken Higher Biology, Maths, English, Modern Studies and Chemistry.
Im interested in chemical engineering or maths as a degree to study in uni but I can't decide between the two.

Chemical Engineering pays well (chartered status can get you around £50 000 - £65 000). I also live in Scotland so working in the oil industry in Aberdeen would be lucrative. I quite like maths, chemistry and problem solving. Maths is my favourite subject right now. I could also go get an MBA for management positions for when I'm older and the working hours are pretty average.

However, I would need to crash Higher Physics and take 3 advanced highers in 6th year to apply to chemical engineering at Aberdeen Uni. I can apply to Imperial College without it though but I'd take it if I decide to go for the engineering route. Heriot Watt and Edinburgh seem like good unis for it too.

Maths seems like a good degree to study. I quite like maths and I like handling money. I would probably apply to St. Adnrews, Edinburgh, Oxford, Imperial and Warwick. This degree can lead onto jobs such as Investment Banking and Accountancy but I'd have to move to London to make money, but I don't really mind. Accountants can get around about £40 000 to £60 000 so the pay is not bad either. Investment bankers can get crazy salaries but they have to work loooooooong hours. The actuarial profession isn't too appealing due to the exam system it has. Is investment baking worth the hours and stress? Is accountancy limited in terms of career/salary progression and is chemical engineering limited too? What other finance careers are lucrative and aren't as aren't as bad on hours as IB?

Taking in these factors, and the fact that I really like maths + science, what one do you think is a better option? Of course it seems vague as I should do what I love but I like the idea of all of these careers so I am honestly torn for what degree to study.

Why limit yourself to only Aberdeen? Not sure whether you genuinely like those careers, or if you're just choosing it based on their potential earning.

Have you tried doing work experience to see if either type of job is something you'll enjoy?

I was stuck between Engineering and Maths, and have now decided to continue with Maths simply because I enjoy the abstraction and gain more satisfaction. It's just as flexible as an Engineering degree.
Hi

Do you prefer doing maths or thinking about maths? Sounds silly but I think it's a good question to ask yourself. I'm saying this mainly because if you did want to go into finance both courses are valid routes - so figuring out which one you'll enjoy most is important.

I myself am in my first year of ChemEng and really enjoy how it's sciency yet always has (quite straightforward) maths involved

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi

You can go into both accounting and IB with an engineering degree - Maths doesn't preclude going into either field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest