The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Are the students at the University of Bath really posh?

I'm a northerner (Very northern - Bath = Baff and I've never pronounced the letter "T" in my life) and I've applied for the university of Bath. It isn't my first choice, but its ranked really highly for Politics so I applied anyway.

I assume it's mainly public school kids, which I don't really have a problem with but I feel like I'd struggle to fit in.

Do any students/ former students know what kind of people there are there? And how's the nightlife etc, is it posh or what?
Original post by mangala
I'm a northerner (Very northern - Bath = Baff and I've never pronounced the letter "T" in my life) and I've applied for the university of Bath. It isn't my first choice, but its ranked really highly for Politics so I applied anyway.

I assume it's mainly public school kids, which I don't really have a problem with but I feel like I'd struggle to fit in.

Do any students/ former students know what kind of people there are there? And how's the nightlife etc, is it posh or what?

One of my good friends is from Shropshire, who also pronounces Bath as Baff, class as...class instead of clarss. So I didn't have to look very far to find someone who does that. :tongue:

I wouldn't worry about not fitting in - almost all of the people I've met are nice, northern or not.

I'm not sure what you'd describe as posh nightlife but people drink and go out clubbing in the city. :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
nothing bullingdon-y?
Original post by mangala
nothing bullingdon-y?

https://www.bathstudent.com/socs/

There's a list of all the societies. :tongue:

I lived in the cheapestt accommodarion (it might've been around £3000 for the whole year, say). The best accommodation (en suite, part-catered) I think is about double that for the whole year, just to put things in perspective. I know some people that live they're and they're pretty nice people.

The people who lived in my type of accommodation were sound. :smile:
No more than your typical Russell Group university. (I am aware Bath is not Russell group oh ye pedants of the world).
Reply 5
What's the nightlife like? Bath's quite a quiet place isn't it, is there anything to do?
Original post by mangala
What's the nightlife like? Bath's quite a quiet place isn't it, is there anything to do?

There is a nightclub and two bars on campus and several nightclubs in the city, along with hundreds of pubs.

Bristol is only a few miles away, with one of the best nightlifes in the country.
Reply 7
Cheers for the help, were you a student? Are there many public school kids there?
It's called Bath University because there aren't any students ... it's a university for baths ...
There is data about that somewhere on the internet. Two years agow, I belivleve it was only 10% of students at Bath attended public schools.

I know more northerners here than public school boys and girls but, then again, I probably couldn't tell the difference between public and state scholled people anyway.
Reply 10
My old politics teacher went there and he says himself he couldn't be more working class hahahaha. But tbh there will probably be a mix of people :smile: good luck!
Original post by mangala
Cheers for the help, were you a student? Are there many public school kids there?

Yes.

There were some, as there are at any half-decent university, but it didn't really make a difference. If you had met my social group from halls, you would not have been able to guess which people went to private school and which went to state.

PS: I did not notice this post. If you quote people, they are more likely to reply.
Hi,

I'm Rob a second year Civil Engineer!

This is a good question and probably something a lot of people have thought about.

There is no denying that there are some very 'posh' areas of Bath and that some people have a lot of wealth. However, in my opinion the university is certainly not elitist or 'posh'. Of course there are students from private schools but I have never experienced any sort of social divide.

There are so many students at the uni that I'm sure there will be more than enough people that you get along with. Its probably fair to say that almost all prospective students worry whether they'll fit in, but there are people of all walks of life so I'm sure you will!

It is worth remember that Bath is in the South West of the country and as such, there will of course be a slightly lower percentage of northerners who brave the trip, compared to northern unis. However, I have got a friend who is just in the process of trying to set up a Northern society, so you won't be alone!

Hope that helps,

Rob

Original post by mangala

Reply 13
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

I'm Rob a second year Civil Engineer!

This is a good question and probably something a lot of people have thought about.

There is no denying that there are some very 'posh' areas of Bath and that some people have a lot of wealth. However, in my opinion the university is certainly not elitist or 'posh'. Of course there are students from private schools but I have never experienced any sort of social divide.

There are so many students at the uni that I'm sure there will be more than enough people that you get along with. Its probably fair to say that almost all prospective students worry whether they'll fit in, but there are people of all walks of life so I'm sure you will!

It is worth remember that Bath is in the South West of the country and as such, there will of course be a slightly lower percentage of northerners who brave the trip, compared to northern unis. However, I have got a friend who is just in the process of trying to set up a Northern society, so you won't be alone!

Hope that helps,

Rob

Thank you very much! How long does it usually take for you to give out offers? I applied on the 25th of November for Politics with economics, if that makes a difference.
Original post by mangala
Thank you very much! How long does it usually take for you to give out offers? I applied on the 25th of November for Politics with economics, if that makes a difference.

Hi,

I'm sure that Rob has answered your initial question thoroughly and I would completely agree with what he has written. You certainly do not have to worry about fitting in, having friends from all around the world and different backgrounds is something that I really love about the University of Bath.

In response to your question about receiving offers it can vary from course to course. As I'm sure you can imagine, it is a very busy time for our admissions team and they are working to get a response to everybody as soon as possible. As you can see on our website, we aim to make decisions before the end of March. I understand that it is difficult waiting for offers, I was in exactly the same position last year!

If you have any questions please feel free to let me know and good luck with your application,

Hayden
It's certainly not a place associated with 'poshness' (i.e. it's not a standard post private school destination such as Exeter or Bristol), but as a leading university it does attract those with stronger academic results, and, predominantly, the vast majority of people I know are 'middle class'. As far as I could tell in my accommodation last year (the supposedly 'posh' one), everyone just got on wherever they were from, it really didn't matter. I don't think the proportion of 'posh' is high enough here for it to become an identity thing.
Original post by mangala
I feel like I'd struggle to fit in.

If you don't fit in at Bath, you can always try Shower instead :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Short answer to the topic question: No, not really.

Quick Reply

Latest