The Student Room Group

Physics, computer science or electrical engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Very.
Also quite tedious and dull, too.
Original post by trapking
im not being big headed but the amount of work you have to do in comp sci is no where near the amount you have to do for physics/engineering. I have friends who do comp sci they are always free and have time to "chill" and play games.

no no, im sure.

thing is though, engineering is hardcore
so is physics

but computer science? TEDIOUS. AS. HELL.
Reply 22
im not being big headed but the amount of work you have to do in comp sci is no where near the amount you have to do for physics/engineering. I have friends who do comp sci they are always free and have time to "chill" and play games.

Hmm as much as i like free time i like putting it to good use...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Hahaha what kinds of modules does it cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile

mechanical engineering is concerned with designing and optimising mechanical systems really....but to do that you have to understand electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, control systems, heat transfer etc etc.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
no no, im sure.

thing is though, engineering is hardcore
so is physics

but computer science? TEDIOUS. AS. HELL.

Engineering is tedious too, try having about 5 completely different assignments due in the same week within such a short time frame and on top of this have group design projects to do and presentations. Literally wana commit rn :lol:
Reply 25
mechanical engineering is concerned with designing and optimising mechanical systems really....but to do that you have to understand electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, control systems, heat transfer etc etc.

How much of electrical engineering does it cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Only do physics if you love it and have a passion for it. If you just want a degree for a job do one of the other two.

You've missed out so much information there it's hilarious. How on earth can you get to a conclusion like "Computer Science is easy" because you have a couple friends that currently find it easy?
Original post by 822
How much of electrical engineering does it cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not a lot but you will cover all the basics so you will be able to understand what an electrical engineer is saying just not to super great detail.
Reply 29
Very.
Also quite tedious and dull, too.

To be honest ive been doing a bit of programming and i find it really fascinating. Playing around with computers and systems are my kind of thing. So i think i would enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Computer science will kill you inside.
I'm just looking out for you, pal

CompSci is no where near as difficult as a pure physics degree. Trying to get your head around some of the phenomena will have you pulling your hair out :lol:
Engineering is tedious too, try having about 5 completely different assignments due in the same week within such a short time frame and on top of this have group design projects to do and presentations. Literally wana commit rn :lol:

Computing is 100 times worse, pal
Trust me on this
Original post by ubisoft
CompSci is no where near as difficult as a pure physics degree. Trying to get your head around some of the phenomena will have you pulling your hair out :lol:

but physics is fascinating
physics will change the way you think

computing is pure tediousness
Original post by ComputerMaths97
You've missed out so much information there it's hilarious. How on earth can you get to a conclusion like "Computer Science is easy" because you have a couple friends that currently find it easy?

look i worked in a global organisation which was practically run by a lot computer scientists and electrical engineers. I know what i'm saying....

I can swap to comp sci and not put as much effort as I'm doing for engineering and still pass the course! For engineering you have to put in a **** load of work just to pass the bloody course....I even help some of my comp sci friends with things they do in 3rd year and im still in my 2nd year lol (not to sound big headed just the truth)
Reply 34
Original post by ubisoft
Only do physics if you love it and have a passion for it. If you just want a degree for a job do one of the other two.

I just want to do them courses purely because i find them fascinating. If i had enough time i would learn all of them and more! Unfortunately i dont have them time nor the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
not a lot but you will cover all the basics so you will be able to understand what an electrical engineer is saying just not to super great detail.

Im kinda leaning towards mechanical engineering now instead of electrical.... Damn lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd suggest you explain what you actually like about each course. I say this because:

You like Mechanics? Computer Science has none, Physics has a bit, Engineering has a absolute ton of it.
You like robotics? Physics has a tiny bit, Engineering has a ton and so does Computer Science.

Basically - If you had to go into one field of Engineering, which one would it be? Like mechanical, chemical, civil, software etc etc. Each one can be achieved from a Engineering degree, most from Computer Science and fewer from Physics. Btw Uni physics is nothing like A level Physics, it's way more interesting but very theoretical in the sense that you would learn too many topics to ever go into enough detail for practical applications of similar levels to the other too.
Original post by thad33
Well computer science seems to be the easiest one you can learn by yourself and not miss out on any lab experiments etc. What I mean is that you can't exactly teach yourself how to be an electrical engineer.

You can go into "computer science" jobs with the other two degrees as long as you have the knowledge. It isn't so easy going into the other two without the degree. Plus a lot of the things to learn can be found in a book, internet or from doing it at home. I'm teaching myself code and the fundamentals of computers right now.

Although, if you know for sure you want to go into computing then computer science is the obvious choice. Even though you can self teach yourself a lot of material you will inevitably miss out some important topics and some will be difficult to do on your own. You also miss out on working besides the best talent in the country and the guidance from top professors. Half of what you learn in university is how to think and approach problems a certain way. Nothing will prepare you more for a computing job than a degree in, wait for it, computer science!

So the question to you is, where do you want to end up after graduation? And, which of these degrees will get me there without limiting my options?

LOL, this is inaccurate.

I don't know about you, but theoretical computer science, data science, artificial intelligence are not cake walks, neither are they easy to teach at home. You show a complete lack of understanding as to what CS is. Read: it's not just programming.

Conceptually, CS is just as difficult to grasp as any other STEM degree, considering it's basically applied maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
but physics is fascinating
physics will change the way you think

computing is pure tediousness

Yeah, the fact that physics is very interesting does make it easier as its enjoyable to study. If you're talking about a purely arbitrary scale though physics is definitely harder.
Biochem is harderest if them allz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending