The Student Room Group

Physics, computer science or electrical engineering?

I am basically stuck between the 3 courses. Im having a tough time deciding.

I am leaning more towards computer science but i don't wanna miss out on engineering or physics as well. I enjoy all of these subjects.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well computer science seems to be the easiest one you can learn by yourself and not miss out on any lab experiments etc. What I mean is that you can't exactly teach yourself how to be an electrical engineer.

You can go into "computer science" jobs with the other two degrees as long as you have the knowledge. It isn't so easy going into the other two without the degree. Plus a lot of the things to learn can be found in a book, internet or from doing it at home. I'm teaching myself code and the fundamentals of computers right now.

Although, if you know for sure you want to go into computing then computer science is the obvious choice. Even though you can self teach yourself a lot of material you will inevitably miss out some important topics and some will be difficult to do on your own. You also miss out on working besides the best talent in the country and the guidance from top professors. Half of what you learn in university is how to think and approach problems a certain way. Nothing will prepare you more for a computing job than a degree in, wait for it, computer science!

So the question to you is, where do you want to end up after graduation? And, which of these degrees will get me there without limiting my options?
Reply 2
Original post by thad33
Well computer science seems to be the easiest one you can learn by yourself and not miss out on any lab experiments etc. What I mean is that you can't exactly teach yourself how to be an electrical engineer.

You can go into "computer science" jobs with the other two degrees as long as you have the knowledge. It isn't so easy going into the other two without the degree. Plus a lot of the things to learn can be found in a book, internet or from doing it at home. I'm teaching myself code and the fundamentals of computers right now.

Although, if you know for sure you want to go into computing then computer science is the obvious choice. Even though you can self teach yourself a lot of material you will inevitably miss out some important topics and some will be difficult to do on your own. You also miss out on working besides the best talent in the country and the guidance from top professors. Half of what you learn in university is how to think and approach problems a certain way. Nothing will prepare you more for a computing job than a degree in, wait for it, computer science!

So the question to you is, where do you want to end up after graduation? And, which of these degrees will get me there without limiting my options?

Job wise im not too fussed im more focused on learning. I just like learning things that interest me. Unfortunately im interested in all of them.

Also i know i can teach myself computer science at home but it wont be in depth as you were saying.The thing i was wondering is which course covers all of them above?

Also is there anyway i could possibly do all 3 of the degrees or even 2?

Someone was saying something about a top up degree? Im not too familiar with that. If you know about that, could you explain it to me?

Im sorry for all these questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Job wise im not too fussed im more focused on learning. I just like learning things that interest me. Unfortunately im interested in all of them.

Also i know i can teach myself computer science at home but it wont be in depth as you were saying.The thing i was wondering is which course covers all of them above?

Someone was saying something about a top up degree? Im not too familiar with that. If you know about that, could you explain it to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you want to be showered with constant mathematical and physics equations/derivations/principles to learn then stay away from physics and electrical engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by trapking
Unless you want to be showered with constant mathematical and physics equations/derivations/principles to learn then stay away from physics and electrical engineering.

Physics equations are fine in fact i find them pretty interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Physics equations are fine in fact i find them pretty interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you want to be constantly showered with them non stop for 3-4 years be my guest :lol:
Reply 6
if you want to be constantly showered with them non stop for 3-4 years be my guest :lol:

Haha wish me luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Haha wish me luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be a rough road...at first you might enjoy it but it will get very stale very quickly and requires a lot of effort if you want to do well so expect to be staying up (like me right now lol doing work).

p.s. i study engineering!
Reply 8
It will be a rough road...at first you might enjoy it but it will get very stale very quickly and requires a lot of effort if you want to do well so expect to be staying up (like me right now lol doing work).

p.s. i study engineering!

Which engineering type do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Which engineering type do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

mechanical, but i have/study with friends from all the other disciplines!
Original post by 822
I am basically stuck between the 3 courses. Im having a tough time deciding.

I am leaning more towards computer science but i don't wanna miss out on engineering or physics as well. I enjoy all of these subjects.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, buddy.
ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING but computer science
Reply 11
mechanical, but i have/study with friends from all the other disciplines!

What is engineering mechanical like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Okay, buddy.
ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING but computer science

Why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Computer science will kill you inside.
I'm just looking out for you, pal
Reply 14
Original post by 822

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the most interesting one would be physics as you have such a varied curriculum and it is considered the most prestigious of the sciences. The theories and concepts within physics are interesting. You can move into almost any job sector with a physics degree as long as you have related work experience and/or a masters degree related to the work. You have a bit more freedom to explore and use advanced maths whereas engineering is very focused on using what is necessary for the job.

If you're looking to do a masters then either physics or electrical engineering would be my choice because they both include programming for starters but also both degrees increase massively in value because of further study. Plus you always have the option of doing a computing related MSc if you really want to go into that field. Engineering opens a lot of doors that other degrees don't and is a valuable qualification to have.

If you want to leave with just a bachelors then computer science is probably the best option. You aren't as required to have a masters unlike in engineering where you need one to become chartered. However you can get into computer related jobs with any technical degree as long as you show you are capable of the work.

Don't stay in university for too long, get a good bachelors and then look to specialize after that with a masters (or a PhD if you're really going to get deep which is important with physics). Forget doing two bachelors unless you are already rich and don't care much about getting a job.
Reply 15

Is it difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
What is engineering mechanical like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Equations 106*10^6 and then more equations (application and understanding physical phenomena).

I was keen at first but if im honest i wouldn't do this again....definitely :lol:
Reply 17
Original post by thad33
I think the most interesting one would be physics as you have such a varied curriculum and it is considered the most prestigious of the sciences. The theories and concepts within physics are interesting. You can move into almost any job sector with a physics degree as long as you have related work experience and/or a masters degree related to the work. You have a bit more freedom to explore and use advanced maths whereas engineering is very focused on using what is necessary for the job.

If you're looking to do a masters then either physics or electrical engineering would be my choice because they both include programming for starters but also both degrees increase massively in value because of further study. Plus you always have the option of doing a computing related MSc if you really want to go into that field. Engineering opens a lot of doors that other degrees don't and is a valuable qualification to have.

If you want to leave with just a bachelors then computer science is probably the best option. You aren't as required to have a masters unlike in engineering where you need one to become chartered. However you can get into computer related jobs with any technical degree as long as you show you are capable of the work.

Don't stay in university for too long, get a good bachelors and then look to specialize after that with a masters (or a PhD if you're really going to get deep which is important with physics). Forget doing two bachelors unless you are already rich and don't care much about getting a job.

Is it possible to do a computer science bachelors and then a masters in engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Equations 106*10^6 and then more equations (application and understanding physical phenomena).

I was keen at first but if im honest i wouldn't do this again....definitely :lol:

Hahaha what kinds of modules does it cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im not being big headed but the amount of work you have to do in comp sci is no where near the amount you have to do for physics/engineering. I have friends who do comp sci they are always free and have time to "chill" and play games.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending