The Student Room Group

Are These Unis Any Good? Computer Science

I'm going to do computer science and I'm just wondering if these unis are any good:

Aberystwyth Uni (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (inc Integrated Industrial and Prof)Northumbria (Computer Science)

Bangor (Computer Science)

Teesside (Computer Science)

University of Salford (Computer Science)

Scroll to see replies

Think about job opportunities too
not rly. try to apply to UCL
Original post by mellowman
I'm going to do computer science and I'm just wondering if these unis are any good:

Aberystwyth Uni (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (inc Integrated Industrial and Prof)Northumbria (Computer Science)

Bangor (Computer Science)

Teesside (Computer Science)

University of Salford (Computer Science)

Aber is the only decent uni in that list for CS. They have a worldwide reputation for their strength in AI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your motivation for those particular unis? Location? Grade Requirements? League tables?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Aber is the only decent uni in that list for CS. They have a worldwide reputation for their strength in AI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm quite interested in AI but I wanted courses that are more general than speciality based and then maybe I could learn specialties on my own. I know AI isn't exactly a specialty but I would rather do a general course focused on the subject as a whole than that and a subsidiary. I only chose AI with Computer Science at Aberystwyth because it basically had the same modules with a little more focus on AI.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Fire_Eater64
What's your motivation for those particular unis? Location? Grade Requirements? League tables?

Well I won't name specifics but a couple are quite close which is why I chose them. I think a big factor was the 'jobs after six months' thing, which I know isn't all that reliable (and obviously not even updated on some courses) but with approximately 90% you can't go wrong (well you can but...).

The grade requirements are in my approximate range apart from one which I was aiming a little high for but no risk, no opportunity. I was also interested in Northumbria and Teeside's selection of modules which featured a lot of things that interested me.

I changed some of these unis a couple of times but sometimes the description of the courses are so general (and the fact that they are advertising instead of informing you about the choice) that it is hard to figure out which one you should pick.

My statement has already been sent off so I'm not changing them. I just wanted to know if they are good (a question I should have asked earlier) and which ones to pick when the time comes.
Reply 7
Original post by LSEismadream

Ask me when I win the lottery and bribe them for millions. More likely than getting A*AA lol.
Out of those? Only aberystwyth
Reply 9
Looking over it, I should have probably picked different universities.
Reply 10
Original post by Edward_PoshPonce
Out of those? Only aberystwyth

Yeah that's what I despairingly feared.
Reply 11
no lmao if u dont go oxbridge ur gonna be on the dole anyway
Well I won't name specifics but a couple are quite close which is why I chose them. I think a big factor was the 'jobs after six months' thing, which I know isn't all that reliable (and obviously not even updated on some courses) but with approximately 90% you can't go wrong (well you can but...).

The grade requirements are in my approximate range apart from one which I was aiming a little high for but no risk, no opportunity. I was also interested in Northumbria and Teeside's selection of modules which featured a lot of things that interested me.

I changed some of these unis a couple of times but sometimes the description of the courses are so general (and the fact that they are advertising instead of informing you about the choice) that it is hard to figure out which one you should pick.

My statement has already been sent off so I'm not changing them. I just wanted to know if they are good (a question I should have asked earlier) and which ones to pick when the time comes.

I really think location should have negligible influence on where you study

why aren't you aiming for A*A*A*, you have the resources and all the help you could ever want in teachers and online. Why aren't you sitting on AAAA (or better) at AS level.

Picking a course for the modules is a good thing. Nice job in actually researching that and not just picking the university higher in the league table

That's my breakdown of your reasons for picking the unis you have.

Overall I think you could have been a little more adventurous with your uni choices, but what can you do now
(edited 8 years ago)
x

what alevels are you doing?
Reply 14
Original post by DylanJ42
I really think location should have negligible influence on where you study

why aren't you aiming for A*A*A*, you have the resources and all the help you could ever want in teachers and online. Why aren't you sitting on AAAA (or better) at AS level.

Picking a course for the modules is a good thing. Nice job in actually researching that and not just picking the university higher in the league table

That's my breakdown of your reasons for picking the unis you have.

Overall I think you could have been a little more adventurous with your uni choices, but what can you do now

It's not that I don't want A*s all over the place the trouble is I don't know how to actually reach that goal haha. It's less about knowing the content and more about exam technique and how to get to that standard using what the examiner wants to see on paper.
Reply 15
It's not that I don't want A*s all over the place the trouble is I don't know how to actually reach that goal haha. It's less about knowing the content and more about exam technique and how to get to that standard using what the examiner wants to see on paper.

Thanks by the way, you've been a big help.

Do you believe you could do better at a-levels than you are currently doing if you were to practice exam technique? ie do you think you're smart enough
Reply 17
Do you believe you could do better at a-levels than you are currently doing if you were to practice exam technique? ie do you think you're smart enough

I think so. I just wouldn't know where to start.
I think so. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Alright then, have you considered taking a year out to repeat your alevels, if you really think you could do better?

When you got this response to your original post;

Original post by LSEismadream

This is how you replied to him/her;

Ask me when I win the lottery and bribe them for millions. More likely than getting A*AA lol.

What makes you think you cant a) get A*AA b) get into UCL? Have you been told by someone that you can't do it? Have teachers or parents said anything? Or is it just lack of self belief?
Reply 19
Alright then, have you considered taking a year out to repeat your alevels, if you really think you could do better?

When you got this response to your original post;

This is how you replied to him/her;

What makes you think you cant a) get A*AA b) get into UCL? Have you been told by someone that you can't do it? Have teachers or parents said anything? Or is it just lack of self belief?

Just a joke, monsieur. I promise to you this day on this very thread that I will try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending