The Student Room Group

DLA coming to an end: desperate

So, got a letter through advising me my DLA is due to end and I will have to apply for PIP.

I am terrified now, because if I do not get the PIP on any rate, then I will lose my housing benefit entitement as well so I am at present facing the very real prospect of a reduction of monthly income of £450.
Furthermore, I will also lose my concessionary bus pass that allows me free travel which given the fact that I have severe joint pain due to severe arthritis in my ankle poses an even bigger concern.

My council has stopped my housing benefit already, despite me giving them all the necessary documentation, and even despite the fact that I have sent an email with my DLA award letter. Because according to ,my councils OWN ****ING WEBSITE, STUDENTS GETTING DLA ALSO GET HOUSING BENEFIT. This has been over 2 months jumping through their hoops :angry:

I have had a lot of problems in the past; mentally speaking and I fear that, if things do go the way they appear to be going as it is, I am going to forced into a corner. And that is a very, very scary place to be in, because then I will simply become one of those tragic statistics and a footnote to a coroner's report.

:frown:

Yes, I know I am getitng a student loan. But minus tuition, rent and utlities I will have about...£20-£40 a month to feed myself?

I am just so far beyond the point of being able to cope now and I am really struggling to manage all this. I have not ate or slept in 3 days, and my studies are badly affected by this. I do not know who to turn to, or who will/can help; or if indeed, they CAN help. Coz you know, a vulnerable person working hard to pursue a second degree and move into the workforce and PAY taxes and national insurance contributions must be a subhuman, benefit scrounging scumbag right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by apronedsamurai
So, got a letter through advising me my DLA is due to end and I will have to apply for PIP.

I am terrified now, because if I do not get the PIP on any rate, then I will lose my housing benefit entitement as well so I am at present facing the very real prospect of a reduction of monthly income of £450.
Furthermore, I will also lose my concessionary bus pass that allows me free travel which given the fact that I have severe joint pain due to severe arthritis in my ankle poses an even bigger concern.

My council has stopped my housing benefit already, despite me giving them all the necessary documentation, and even despite the fact that I have sent an email with my DLA award letter. Because according to ,my councils OWN ****ING WEBSITE, STUDENTS GETTING DLA ALSO GET HOUSING BENEFIT. This has been over 2 months jumping through their hoops :angry:

I have had a lot of problems in the past; mentally speaking and I fear that, if things do go the way they appear to be going as it is, I am going to forced into a corner. And that is a very, very scary place to be in, because then I will simply become one of those tragic statistics and a footnote to a coroner's report.

:frown:

Yes, I know I am getitng a student loan. But minus tuition, rent and utlities I will have about...£20-£40 a month to feed myself?

I am just so far beyond the point of being able to cope now and I am really struggling to manage all this. I have not ate or slept in 3 days, and my studies are badly affected by this. I do not know who to turn to, or who will/can help; or if indeed, they CAN help. Coz you know, a vulnerable person working hard to pursue a second degree and move into the workforce and PAY taxes and national insurance contributions must be a subhuman, benefit scrounging scumbag right?

Right, I'm in a similar position to you; I used to get DLA in the past but they stopped it and now I'm in the process of applying for PIP.

See, in your local area if there is a Disability Equality charity or similar and drop them an email stating your problem. They should be able to advise.

Yourable.com is also a great forum full of people like us who have been through appeals etc; there's a lot of nice people on there who will help you through the re-application and appeals processes.

If worst comes to worst I guess you'll have to pick up part time work or something
Reply 2
I can't be on my feet for long periods of time, so thats going to eliminate say....retail, waitering, bar work, working in fast food. Its not as simple as "oh just get part time work". If it were; I'd not be AS stressed
I can't be on my feet for long periods of time, so thats going to eliminate say....retail, waitering, bar work, working in fast food. Its not as simple as "oh just get part time work". If it were; I'd not be AS stressed

Could you not do admin work? You just sit at a desk and type on a computer and answer phones, right?
Reply 4
Yes, I could. All I am saying is, my options are more limited, and as such, it means the odds of me finding a job are lower because I am only looking at such a limited field, and that in itself is a worry because what do I do in the interim?
Yes, I could. All I am saying is, my options are more limited, and as such, it means the odds of me finding a job are lower because I am only looking at such a limited field, and that in itself is a worry because what do I do in the interim?

Right now I would just focus on getting as much help as humanely possible with your PIP application but apply for admin or call centre jobs in the interim. If you don't already have one get yourself a student overdraft to cover you until you get a job. Maybe meanwhile go to food banks? I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you if you explain your situation?
Reply 6
Shouldnt have to do that, go to foodbanks to ****ing feed myself this is insane: If I have to go to the ****ing newspapers I will.

Also there is a limit as to the number of times an applicant can apply for a foodbank :frown:
Shouldnt have to do that, go to foodbanks to ****ing feed myself this is insane: If I have to go to the ****ing newspapers I will.

Also there is a limit as to the number of times an applicant can apply for a foodbank :frown:

I agree; those ******* tories have turned this country into a sad state. You're right, it shouldn't happen, but it is happening

I'm sorry I can't offer anymore practical advice; I'm disabled aswell but I don't have mobility issues so I can hold down a part time job. Just ask for help from the charities and the forum I mentioned as it is very good.

If you're as bad as you say you are I see no reason why they wouldn't continue on with your claim. Fingers crossed for you though.
Don't worry - things will be okay . Hopefully there will be other options like access to learning funds at your university ? Be positive , I'm sure things will work out and you'll get your degree
You have to be rferred to a foodbank.

OP - you can get a bus pass without DLA.

I am going to move this one to Disabled Students where you should get better answers.
Reply 10
Your uni will have a Student Support function which should be able to give you some help e.g. advice on how to access your uni's Hardship Fund, which can give emergency financial help if your situation is making it difficult or impossible to study. Also it may advise whether it would be wise to apply for Extenuating Circumstances around coursework and exams. This will allow current external demands on your limited resources to be taken into account when your work is marked.
Original post by OU Student
You have to be rferred to a foodbank.

OP - you can get a bus pass without DLA.

I am going to move this one to Disabled Students where you should get better answers.

My apologies; I did not know
Reply 12
If you can find a Trussell Trust food bank, they accept vouchers which are distributed by a range of frontline care professionals including GPs. You don't have to be referred by the Jobcentre.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects
In the short run definitely tell the uni what you've told us here op. If it's affecting your work you can request for an extenuating circumstances pass where they will mark your work in a way that is mindful of your current struggles.

In the long run, there's some good advice here and I wish you well. I'm so sorry to hear they're doing this :frown:

My situation exactly! I can totally empathise with this. It's harder when you can't go for service type industry jobs that are easier to get because they always need people.

There are self employed work at home type jobs out there. It's reassuring to know they are out there as a last resort but most work out at below min wage.

Quick Reply

Latest