The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

I want to leave University

So I'm half way through my second year of my degree and i am really struggling financially, i have a job and work 21 hours a week and this is starting to take a toll on my studies, I'm failing a few modules and just overall not enjoying the experience anymore. I'm not even sure why I am doing this degree. I don't know if i should take some time out and get a" leave of absence" to have some time to figure out what my options are?
Original post by Just some girl
So I'm half way through my second year of my degree and i am really struggling financially, i have a job and work 21 hours a week and this is starting to take a toll on my studies, I'm failing a few modules and just overall not enjoying the experience anymore. I'm not even sure why I am doing this degree. I don't know if i should take some time out and get a" leave of absence" to have some time to figure out what my options are?

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling through your degree. Please come and see us in the Student Services Centre, Tawney Building. We have drop-ins where we can talk through your different options and we might be able to help you financially. It's important to talk to someone about your situation and not struggle on your own and you are always welcome to come and talk to us.

Jodie
Student Services Centre
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Forgot to leave our email! It's [email protected] in case that's easier :smile:

Jodie
Original post by Just some girl

I hope you went to see Keele student services since this post. They are pretty good from what I'm aware in terms of advice and money. I know they offer loans that you have to pay back eventually , not sure if this is still on offer. So well worth a visit to discuss your options if you are struggling.

Hope everything works out :smile:.
I want to leave too. I'm also midway through second year and I'm not sure what to do. I think I might as well stick it out till the end of second year, since there are only a few more months left. But after summer... I just really don't want to go back. The thing stopping me from leaving, is that I don't want my low moods/ feeling of anxiety/ general negative attitude to uni and laziness at applying myself to be the ultimate deciding factors in me quitting uni. I also think its only another year...just stick it out and be done with it and then start enjoying life properly? I'm not sure, but I'd be interested to see what you do. Good luck whatever you decide x
Original post by jawsurgery1
I want to leave too. I'm also midway through second year and I'm not sure what to do. I think I might as well stick it out till the end of second year, since there are only a few more months left. But after summer... I just really don't want to go back. The thing stopping me from leaving, is that I don't want my low moods/ feeling of anxiety/ general negative attitude to uni and laziness at applying myself to be the ultimate deciding factors in me quitting uni. I also think its only another year...just stick it out and be done with it and then start enjoying life properly? I'm not sure, but I'd be interested to see what you do. Good luck whatever you decide x

Don't feel like you are on your own! The Students Services Centre is here for when things get tough. We have a wide range of support which is available to you which can all help. In Students Services we can discuss options such as taking a leave of absence where you can take some time out then come back to university when you feel mentally ready to finish your course. If you come and see us, we can talk though an academic and emotional support plan with you, we can offer you a student mentor who is doing the same course as yourself and will be able to support you student to student, plus loads of other options which could go on for pages if I listed them all.

We also have a Counselling and Mental Health Team who can use a type of therapy to suit your needs. They will work alongside you to develop answers to tough questions and find ways of overcoming your difficulties. Some students take only a few sessions to feel better.

The university has this year invested in SilverCloud which is a fantastic self help resource which is free to Keele students. The program is online, confidential and consists of 6-7 modules to get you feeling better about any anxiety or depression.

Please do talk to us. Don't struggle on your own. The reason Students Services exists is to help you, all you need to do is make that first step to come and see us.

Jodie
Student Services Centre
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jawsurgery1

Yes stick it out and complete your degree, if you drop out now then if you decide to do another degree you will need to pay the first year fees yourself so thats another reason to stay.

Quick Reply

Latest