The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Far Too Short?

I've written my personal statement and it's just over 2,000 characters long, 2037 to be exact. I've been looking at other threads started by people asking for idea's on how to shorten their statements down and here I am with nothing to write lol.

I literally cannot think of much more I could add, I've covered what I'm doing to prepare for university currently, I've covered my academic achievements and I've covered why I believe I'd make a good student. What else is there to write about? I see people babbling on about what sports they play and their favourite games? How is the relevant at all to applying to say, computer science or any other course to be honest?

I've also covered my reasons for taking a gap year between college and university. I just don't understand why would the university care if you enjoy swimming? Will the university look at my statement and believe I haven't put effort in due to it's length? Should I start babbling on about stuff that has no relevance to my course just for the sake of filling the last 2,000 characters? Am I supposed to write some exaggerated life story on how I'm devoted to the sciences? Or just straight out lie like I've seen many others recommending on these forums?

I thought it would be better to keep it fairly short, I mean these people are going to read through 100's of statements daily and it's just the same old recycled stuff in the end, simply worded differently.
(edited 8 years ago)
The reason people put things like hobbies and sports on thier personal statements is because it tells admissions departments at universities that they are a well rounded individual :smile: if it helps, link it back to your studies and highlight any key skills you have learnt from doing such tasks.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Killerpenguin15
The reason people put things like hobbies and sports on thier personal statements is because it tells admissions departments at universities that they are a well rounded individual :smile: if it helps, link it back to your studies and highlight any key skills you have learnt from doing such tasks.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

So you believe I should add more? How many characters would you say would be a good target to aim for? I'd like to post my PS but I can't for obvious reasons. What would you recommend adding that I have not added already? I will be studying computer science.
Original post by Jack7771
So you believe I should add more? How many characters would you say would be a good target to aim for? I'd like to post my PS but I can't for obvious reasons. What would you recommend adding that I have not added already? I will be studying computer science.

Coincidence!

I am applying for CompSci this year too! :smile:

there is currently a 4000 character limit, or 600 words, whichever comes first.

I would try and maximise the word/character count as much as possible. I would recommend 3500 Characters / 500 words. Talk about any extra-curricular activites, awards, etc. Don't just list them, talk them through and talk about the skills you have learnt from this also.

Specifically for Computer Science, talk about any team building activites that you have participated in as this is crucial to group working in this subject.
Reply 4
Coincidence!

I am applying for CompSci this year too! :smile:

there is currently a 4000 character limit, or 600 words, whichever comes first.

I would try and maximise the word/character count as much as possible. I would recommend 3500 Characters / 500 words. Talk about any extra-curricular activites, awards, etc. Don't just list them, talk them through and talk about the skills you have learnt from this also.

Specifically for Computer Science, talk about any team building activites that you have participated in as this is crucial to group working in this subject.

Ah, nice, where are you planning on studying? I assume you went the A-level route rather than the BTEC college route?
Reply 5
The last 17 years of your life is really able to fit in 2000 characters? I would go over the limit as its so easy to point out anything you've done in the past, in or out of school, and just make an abstract link to the subject. Take a look at dozens of past PS's and learn what they do best. You'll have no problem once you study about 20 good past PS and learn what makes them so good.
Ah, nice, where are you planning on studying? I assume you went the A-level route rather than the BTEC college route?

I went the A level route :smile:

I am applying to:
- Essex
- Hertfordshire
- Aston
- Leicester
- Hull

Most for CompSci, but Aston for ITMB :smile:

Don't be afraid to ask your parents or teachers for help! More often than not, they may know more about you than you do yourself. They could give you a few big pointers as to what you could put in your personal statment maybe?
Reply 7
I went the A level route :smile:

I am applying to:
- Essex
- Hertfordshire
- Aston
- Leicester
- Hull

Most for CompSci, but Aston for ITMB :smile:

Don't be afraid to ask your parents or teachers for help! More often than not, they may know more about you than you do yourself. They could give you a few big pointers as to what you could put in your personal statment maybe?

I've already asked various university/college lecturers and family members and I was told it was a good PS and no one mentioned length. I then came to these forums and read a few posts about how short my PS is.
Reply 8
Original post by TrojanH
The last 17 years of your life is really able to fit in 2000 characters? I would go over the limit as its so easy to point out anything you've done in the past, in or out of school, and just make an abstract link to the subject. Take a look at dozens of past PS's and learn what they do best. You'll have no problem once you study about 20 good past PS and learn what makes them so good.

I'm writing on why I believe I would make a good student and why I'm interested in the subject, how would this entail my life story for the past 18 years? I don't have any life-changing pivotal moments that drove me to study this subject, I just find it interesting and enjoy it. I feel as if most people are just babbling on about irrelevant details in order to reach the character limit.
Reply 9
I've written my personal statement and it's just over 2,000 characters long, 2037 to be exact. I've been looking at other threads started by people asking for idea's on how to shorten their statements down and here I am with nothing to write lol.

I literally cannot think of much more I could add, I've covered what I'm doing to prepare for university currently, I've covered my academic achievements and I've covered why I believe I'd make a good student. What else is there to write about? I see people babbling on about what sports they play and their favourite games? How is the relevant at all to applying to say, computer science or any other course to be honest?

I've also covered my reasons for taking a gap year between college and university. I just don't understand why would the university care if you enjoy swimming? Will the university look at my statement and believe I haven't put effort in due to it's length? Should I start babbling on about stuff that has no relevance to my course just for the sake of filling the last 2,000 characters? Am I supposed to write some exaggerated life story on how I'm devoted to the sciences? Or just straight out lie like I've seen many others recommending on these forums?

I thought it would be better to keep it fairly short, I mean these people are going to read through 100's of statements daily and it's just the same old recycled stuff in the end, simply worded differently.

I struggled for a bit like you did, but if I were you I would try to fill the 4000 characters as much as you can. If I were an admissions tutor, I wouldn't be too impressed with a personal statement half as long as it could be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending