The Student Room Group

Why don't any Asians study non-STEM subjects?

I'm Asian, and all my relatives here and in my parents' home nation all study Stem degrees like medicine and engineering and maths. One studies business but that's about it. This also seems to be true for my Asian friends (there are quite a lot of us) at school as they all want to be doctors,engineers and programmers or accountants (not Stem but vocational anyway). Literally no one I know who is Asian wants to be studying philosophy or anthropology (if that's the right word) or economics or geography or English or anything like that. Why is this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4Astars
I'm Asian, and all my relatives here and in my parents' home nation all study Stem degrees like medicine and engineering and maths. One studies business but that's about it. This also seems to be true for my Asian friends (there are quite a lot of us) at school as they all want to be doctors,engineers and programmers or accountants (not Stem but vocational anyway). Literally no one I know who is Asian wants to be studying philosophy or anthropology (if that's the right word) or economics or geography or English or anything like that. Why is this?

Careers that are based on STEM subjects and courses generally have higher wages than those that aren't. Money is the driving factor when it comes to the job industry.
Reply 2
Money innit.

Our families are mostly aspirational, those careers pay well and are also quite respectable which is why we're encouraged to go into those fields.

In other fields, becoming rich is a bit hit-and-miss and in some cases, virtually impossible.
Reply 3
I know an Asian classmate who wants to study economics (which isn't classed as STEM, although it does use a lot of maths)... I know of another Asian in my year who isn't even taking any STEM A Levels. So while many Asians do end up applying for STEM degrees, there are also many who don't.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think you've ever sat in a law lecture theatre. There are an awful lot of Asians who study non-STEM.
Reply 5
It's good to go in to stem its actually useful to society :smile:

I study (at a level) english lit, history, sociology and politics???????

Honestly, if you don't go into medical, engineering, law, Finance, programming or any other respectable fields, you will considered as " stupid" by the Asian community.

disagree, the number of asians studying stem have dropped, with other subjects like accounting and finance, management etc. replacing them. law and medicine are filled with asians. what most asians tend to avoid are art subjects (and geography).
Reply 9
Every asain I know studies a non-stem subject.
Because their parents wont let them study a non-stem subject
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Honestly, if you don't go into medical, engineering, law, Finance, programming or any other respectable fields, you will considered as " stupid" by the Asian community.

I know. I heard my parents talking about one of my distant relatives becoming "just a teacher" like that's some low level job. What's even weirder is that none of my parents are in a professional high-skilled job and don't have a degree at all, so they shouldn't really be complaining about others lol
Original post by IBIB
Every asain I know studies a non-stem subject.

Really? Which subjects?
I know. I heard my parents talking about one of my distant relatives becoming "just a teacher" like that's some low level job. What's even weirder is that none of my parents are in a professional high-skilled job and don't have a degree at all, so they shouldn't really be complaining about others lol

Very true. To be honest my mum doesn't have the most respected job in comparison to others, but she is very judgmental about other people's professions.
Original post by Will2610
It's good to go in to stem its actually useful to society :smile:

Yeah but so is law, politics (working in UN) and economics (development, charity work) or teaching. Besides, most STEM students don't go on to change the world- most software engineers don't contribute anything to society really.
Reply 15

Because their parents would disown them if they did. Not even kidding.
Original post by nucdev
Money innit.

Our families are mostly aspirational, those careers pay well and are also quite respectable which is why we're encouraged to go into those fields.

In other fields, becoming rich is a bit hit-and-miss and in some cases, virtually impossible.

Yeah I understand that. Just out of interest, are you studying a stem subject?
Original post by Texas.
Because their parents would disown them if they did. Not even kidding.

Yeah I was wondering whether it's because of parental influence or because of their own choice. But I doubt parents would be that harsh, even Asians
Original post by ThatGurl
I study (at a level) english lit, history, sociology and politics???????

Are your parents okay with that?
Yeah but so is law, politics (working in UN) and economics (development, charity work) or teaching. Besides, most STEM students don't go on to change the world- most software engineers don't contribute anything to society really.

That's ironic; without software engineers you wouldn't be able to type 'software engineers don't contribute anything to society really' on the student room. Without software engineers, you wouldn't have safe autopilot algorithms - planes would crash much more often.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending